Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Close to the edge, round by the corner.

Oh wait, wrong band. Sorry.

drum_cas, DigitalDave74 and Colocally like this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

YOU'LL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO LISTEN TO THE REMIX OF OBSCURED BY CLOUDS WHEN YOU'RE LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Though... There's serious comedic potential here if you imagine it being shouted in Waters' schoolmaster voice.. probably need to end it with a "Laddie!" though.

3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Maybe he knew about Paul and John before we all did. :hide:

4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

What title is the Meddle remix on the Blu Ray?

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

It is on the Reverber/ation Blu Ray on tbe early versions in the full box sets. I believe by the time the titles were released separately it had been removed, and I have read reports that later batches of the box set had it removed too.

6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Sorry I meant blu rays are authored with different “titles” and I wondered which number it was for when I rip it

7. Sevoflurane

Sorry... [runs downstairs to get box off shelf]. Title 2; shows as 46m 44s long with 6 tracks with a choice of DTS-MA 6ch 96K/24 bit or PCM stereo 96K/24 bit. DVD Audio Extractor can't rip it directly due to copy protection, but if you make a backup with MakeMKV followed by DVD Audio Extractor, or use MakeMKV's FLAC preset followed by Audiomuxer, that'll get you there.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Can't Audiomuxer directly rip the content from the Blu-ray?

9. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

That’s great thanks. Only bought a Blu Ray drive last week for my MacBook but using Make MKV and DVD Audio Extractor for other discs has been flawless so far (including my replacement DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray)

Sevoflurane likes this.
  10. Sevoflurane

Probably, but I long since got into the habit of ripping to the hard drive first and then extracting from the rip. Needlessly complex, i’m sure, but once I get into a routine that works I stick to it.

11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I have the box with the Meddle 5.1 (I think). But I have no way to extract it. By the time I actually have the ability, they will likely release it as a stand-alone. Sucks to be me.

12. unclecuddles

unclecuddles Forum Resident

Just registered to thank everyone for their contribution to this mammoth thread. Had fun reading most of it and the other thread. Got about half way through it so far!

Can anyone advise on what software I should use to back up the CDs, DVDs, blu-rays and what format to retain the best audio/video quality (plus best compatibility with TV/Blu-ray player)? Got a usb blu-ray drive and a 2 TB usb portable hard drive which I am going to use to back up every disc. I managed to extract the Meddle 5.1 using a trial version of DVDFab with the advice in this thread - this has a watermark which I am not too bothered about given it is audio only, but would prefer to extract the videos without a watermark. I have backed up the CDs on iTunes already, just not sure if I have used the best quality to rip the audio.

Free software if possible, but happy to pay if this is not possible.

Thanks!

13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Start with MakeMKV and Audiomuxer. They are free and will get you 90% there.

unclecuddles and Sevoflurane like this.
  14. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Random observation: I recently spied the small individual sets on a store shelf, and wow do they look generic and unassuming. I bought (and sold) the box, so I knew how the sets looked - but it does not translate to eye candy at the store. The spines are all black with a tiny white patch of text.

I am glad they are offered separately though.

15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just listened to the stereo Meddle remix. I must say the only track I really enjoyed was Echoes. But I’m in the camp that thinks Meddle doesn’t need a remix at all

Mrmojo likes this.
  16. Sevoflurane

I agree that the original stereo mix is excellent. The quad version of Echoes is a bit crazy in its use of surround. The new 5.1 Echoes definitely wins that contest.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

....count me as interested...so...?

18. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

check yr PM Bobcat

bobcat likes this.
  19. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

You know what I did to my separate volumes? I stuck the big stickers on in such a way that now they all have differently coloured spines. Looks better on the shelf that way.

asdf35 likes this.
  20. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

Outer Space and Inner Space
    In the "Reinventing Pink Floyd" book, by Bill Kopp, there's a discussion about "Moonhead" being a possible end of Pink Floyd's exploration into outer space, and that Roger Waters was looking, after the summer of 1969, more into going lyrically into the inner space of the human mind.
    Certainly, the "spacey" music continued, such as illustrated by some of the "Love Scene" tracks for the Zabriskie Point movie.
    Now, I would like to find out if a particular outtake from Zabriskie Point, known unofficially as Love Scene #2 (full mix) , and which doesn't seem to appear in any form in the Early Years Box Set, is available anywhere, presumably unofficially, with the distinctly non-spacey ( but amusing!)"sex vocals" removed, so that the music alone can be enjoyed.

21. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Amazon.de has a promotion of buying 2 and getting 3 on box sets. I pulled the triger finally on the 6 boxes for as low as 114,42€. 2 years waiting (or it was 30?) for this boxes finally ends. Grab them while you can because i dont see them getting any lower in price than this and the promotion ens if im not mistaken on the 10th december.

footlooseman and Full Circle like this.
  22. I've also noticed the 1970 box getting quite scarce in North America. It's getting harder to find under list price these days. I actually had to import mine from Europe.

23. Full Circle

Full Circle Forum Resident

Question: Having the six individual boxes, is there anything on the Tree Full of Secrets boot that is not included within them? Or maybe better quality than the official product? I know the BBC material on the bonus set in the big box isn’t great.

24. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I think by memory (sorry if um wrong) that a tree full of secrets has a lot of mono/stereo version if you like that. But only part of TFoS is about the same years of this box set. So relative to this years this EY has much more stuff, but TFoS extends to the years past 72.

Runicen and Full Circle like this.
  25. Full Circle

Full Circle Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply! Good to know. Yeah, I should’ve specified the years covered by the EY box.