Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Seems to be a consensus that the Pompeii mix is very bright. It does, unlike previous video releases, run at the correct speed. No Mademoiselle Nobs, and Echoes is a single piece.

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, I guess the main appeal is that it’s never been on CD. I’ve read that others still enjoyed it. Unfortunate that they seemed to go overly bright on a lot of this mastering. Honestly I have no interest at all in any of the “remastered” material which I already own in multiple formats.

3. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

For me i can live with the brightness of it but wich i dont like is the absense of mademoiselle knobs and the echoes put toghether. Echoes in two parts unify the things more. Also i miss the heartbeat that was in the begining of the movie.
    Now a plus is a new part in the begining of saucerful and a alternativa take of careful.
    Overall Im quite pleased having this finally since Pompeii is one of my favorite Floyd things.

4. Sytze

Sytze Forum Resident

Maybe Echoes was one performance originally and split in two parts for the original movie?
    Any info on the alternative Careful - when and where and why it was recorded?

JulesRules likes this.
  5. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

The stereo version of the 1971 concert does exist on tape at the BBC, they just didn't look in the right place, or know who to ask and ended up with the Mono version.
    It wasn't done "for an American radio station"...it was sold by the BBC as a Transcription disc with broadcasting rights to any Radio station outside the UK.
    Any interruptions at the point of broadcast were `local' !
    Pink Floyd - Stereo Pop Special-3

6. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I havent run the first 2 volumes.
    1972: the main thing for me here is Pompeii, just for that is worth it.
    1971: the CD is the main feature. I dont really worry about the mono bbc. This like Pompeii should have been released many time ago.
    1970: Best of the boxes. From begining to end all of it is great and highly recommendable, CDs and DVDs. And its also the bigger box. Lot to enjoy. Is a shame the tracks for the movie zabriskie point are abesent but im sure there were legal reasons for this só i can forgive this.
    1969: i love this year in pink floyd's carear. The CDs are amazing from begining to end. On the DVDs there are many curious, funny and interesting things. First they play on playback on french television while they sometimes still sing over the playback and we can here nick beating the drums quietly. The faces of the audience are amazing, "what is this?" they seem to think. All very strange and funny.
    Then a rearshal. Really love this. We can see Roger comanding the troops clearly, Richard playing a pipe organ, Nick making jokes and relaxed, and then Roger saying ummagumma (now you know English speakers is ummagumma not ammagamma). Love it.
    Then we can see a performance of careful with Roger screaming like mad like i have never seen it before and for some reason not playing the bass in the second part of the song, walking around the stage like a madman. Quite strange and funny also.
    And finnaly pink Floyd with zappa. Historical and the rest of the songs are great to. Everything higly recommendable.

7. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

Sonically atrocious, if you ask me.

8. rontoon

rontoon Floydian Archivist

IIRC, they didn't even bother to look assuming that it was fake stereo just like 1970.

Rne and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Forum Resident

The best item on the Blu Rays is the 5.1 version of Meddle (not just Echoes in 4.0) that is hidden in the boxed set version of this.

It seems that was pulled in the individual releases.

mshare and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

This is assuredly going to be released as a stand alone at some point. I will wait patiently for it.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  11. Sevoflurane

I’m not sure if the Meddle 5.1 / hi res stereo is in all boxes, as its inclusion was basically a mistake as documented in the rest of the thread. It is in the early boxes, for sure.

12. Sevoflurane

Not necessarily. The 5.1 mix had not been signed off by Waters as he hadn’t heard it, hence its removal. It is entirely possible he will want changes to the mix or possibly a new mix.

PhantomStranger and Jam757 like this.
  13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks. What about the 5.1 blu ray audio of Pompeii? I’ve heard this is the definitive sounding version and also that it’s completely harsh and unbearable. Opinions seem to be all over the map.

14. zinan

zinan Well-Known Member

The word "assuredly" is very big question. It was Andy Jackson's work, and Waters trusts a sound 5.1 only to James Guthrie.

rontoon, Jam757 and Sevoflurane like this.
  15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That’s fine with me if they do a new 5.1 to keep the box set as exclusive.

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

A 5.1 mix being available is the main thing. It would be great if Guthrie did one.

17. zinan

zinan Well-Known Member

It would be excellent if both possible versions had official release.

18. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Unfortanely i dont have the equipment to ear the 5.1 but though im not a fan of this version of the movie (directors cut) the image seems overall much better than my previous Pompeii dvd. But i have to confirm this, Im relying only in my memorie.

19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I love the directors cut version but probably only because I haven’t compared it to the original. Does this Directors cut version sound better than the 2003 DVD release? I haven’t watched it in awhile but always thought it sounded excellent. The blu ray audio is what really interests me though.

20. JulesRules

JulesRules Napoleon Blownapart

This is because one of his bass strings broke during the performance!

My two cents;

1965-67: Essential, not perfect. Nice to have most of the Syd era material in one place. The video is the greatest treasure here.
    1968: Great all around.
    1969: Great again, although this time the audio is more interesting than the video.
    1970: Great again.
    1971: The CD part is woefully slim when you know that there were many more "Nothings". What's here is astonishing though. The video is nice, but not as essential (going by memory here).
    1972: From the audio point, clearly the least interesting as apart from the alternate Careful it's only remixes of already known performances. Can't remember much about the video at this point other than the remix of Pompeii...

21. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I really dont think my opinion about the sound of this one matters since my dvd/tv equipment is (to be more than realistic) average. I listen through the tv speakers. But havent found much change in sound listening this way. Always sounded fine throuh this average television and still sounds, considering the circunstaces off course. Someone with better equipment step in please.

Jam757 likes this.
  22. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I imagined something of this sort, but is quite funny anyway. He clearly keeps screaming to mantain himself doing something then wonders around with nothing to do. Lol

JulesRules likes this.
  23. JulesRules

JulesRules Napoleon Blownapart

He also bangs on Nick's cymbals. :mad::nyah:

Luisboa likes this.
  24. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Knowing there existed more "nothings" and they dont make it trough beacause they forgot about them is quite anoying. This 71' CD would have been epic with more "nothings" and stereo bbc.

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually, I thought they didn't use the rest of the 'Nothing' tapes because a Meddle set could be planned sometime. The album's remix wasn't officially released either, so...

progcode, zinan and Luisboa like this.