Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I got in on it too at that price. Around the same time they also had Chicago quad box for $60. Both sets had replacement discs...

2. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Got around to extracting the separate channels for the quad mix of Atom Heart Mother. It's pretty cool to hear Gilmour's solo in the title track more or less without the other music.

3. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-host of Nothing Is Real - A Beatles Podcast

That’s where I got it too, it was only for a very short period of time, possibly 8 or 12 minutes. When it arrived the outer box was split and partially crushed. When I contacted Amazon about replacing it, they couldn’t as the stock was gone, so they rounded the price down to £100. Go me! As it happens, the box is in my attic and i just keep the inner box with the seven booksets on my shelf - much easier to navigate. I think if they’d sold it like that, without the vinyl singles, and pitched it at £199 it would’ve sold more. But what do I know?

ThirdBowl and coffeetime like this.
  4. ThirdBowl

ThirdBowl Have You Had Your Third Bowl Today?

^^ I sold off everything except the 7 volumes and the outer box that holds them. I only kept the digital audio/video content (CD/DVD/BD). The big outer box was bulky, and all of that memorabilia, while cool, wasn't anything that I needed taking up space in my music room.

croquetlawns, Runicen and Saul Pimon like this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Senior Member

Can't blame ya. The box takes up room in my music collection as well. WOW!! I can't part with any of it as hoaky as the extras are.

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Every once in a while, I think about either selling the thing off entirely or doing what you did (though, at this point, I doubt there's much demand for the outer box and ephemera). The weakness of the box design isn't just the size of the thing, but also that it's not really much to look at. Makes it hard to feel good about this big black box with its stupid white stripe taking up half a shelf...

ThirdBowl likes this.
  7. mlcin

mlcin Member

Finding it hard to go through every page but did anyone ever do a bluray artwork for holding all the blurays in one case.Ive got 8 blurays but wanted to house them in one case.

8. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but PF made pdfs of each individual volume's tracklisting available from the official site (example here). Does anyone know if there is a similar one for the bonus Continuation set?

9. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

zphage, polchik and coffeetime like this.
  10. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

[​IMG]

RAZORMADE, ThirdBowl, granata and 3 others like this.
  11. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Why did they replace all audio on Blu-ray/DVD restored footage with album masters? What a waste. Just doesn't sound right.

Big Pasi likes this.
  12. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

"All"? Hardly. There's hours of video with the original audio. What are you talking about?

13. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

There is the rumour (didn't check it myself) that the Pink Floyd Piper 'special' made in Brussels had an alternative mono mix, but this was replaced by the regular album versions.

asdf35 likes this.
  14. rontoon

rontoon Floydian Archivist

It's not a rumor. I have near perfect copies with the original mono audio remastered. In a few cases there are differences in the mix (Paintbox, Corporal Clegg).

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Forum Resident

I believe the poster meant any video where the studio recording was the audio of the film. In that sense, they did replace all of them with the masters rather than the actual audio from the show/film. In some cases it really made sense to do that. In others, it lost out on unique mixes or just didn't mesh well with original audio they had to blend with it or was no longer in proper sync. I would've preferred they at least included the original audio as a 2nd track.

Spadeygrove, HE1NZ and Chris M like this.
  16. rontoon

Not all. But I agree with you regarding the second audio track option.

rnranimal likes this.
  17. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

And therein lies the problem with using the word "all" in regards to restored footage. Makes it sound like they literally took the KQED performance and slapped the studio versions on them instead or something.

I also agree with a second audio track. It would have been nice, but this is such a minor thing compared to what was included as video content.

zinan, surfling and rontoon like this.
  18. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Well, I've reached the middle of the second disc (1968) and finally there's some footage with live sound. I figure they replaced audio because it's supposed to use the same studio mixes anyway, however album stereo isn't really mixed with video in mind and it sounds detached. It should be mixed in mono and I bet original mono used in the video is a little different to the studio album mono too.

19. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Can this be explained to a guy with limited brain power? I tend to notice any Syd (Piper) related news, and I've generally followed this thread. This info is not computing, especially with Rontoon's response.

20. rontoon

This is referring to the Tienerklanken videos from 1968. In these videos the band mimed to playback and originally the mono mixes of these songs were used for the videos. Some of these mixes differ from the stereo versions. Here's a link to the videos from TEY where the original mono mixes were replaced with stereo audio with better fidelity.

Pink Floyd Tienerklanken 1968 - YouTube

For comparison, here's Paintbox with the original audio. The main difference is at the end of the song.

Here's the original version of Corporal Clegg for comparison with the version on TEY. It also has a different ending.

Pink Floyd Corporal Clegg Belgian TV 1968

It's too bad we didn't get the original audio (or at least the option of 2 audio tracks) because these are rare mixes!

Clear enough? :waiting:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  21. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The alternate ending of "Corporal Clegg" has always intrigued me. I guess they were still working on the album and just sailed/flew/drove to Belgium with rough mixes/working tapes?

That guitar at the end is so Syd Barrett-like, even if it has to have been played by David.

andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  22. rontoon

Yeah, I like your theory. And these may have not even been the official mono mixes and could very well be one-offs making them even rarer.

Dodoz and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Yes, thanks! I thought Atagong's post was referring to some form of TEY sets containing an alt. mono mix of PATGOD....Reading comprehension isn't always my thing...

rontoon likes this.
  24. Sytze

Sytze Forum Resident

Chris M recently posted on this forum saying Corporal Clegg was first rehearsed with the Syd line-up and he could even be the guitar player... or else Gilmour playing Syd's part. I found that to be intriguing, to say the least.

25. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Years ago (mid nineties) I went to a showing of Live at Pompeii in a small cinema at the Vondelpark in Amsterdam. For starters they had the Tienerklanken stuff on film reel. Funny thing was beforehand the audience was told the audio was on a separate tape. So they had real trouble syncing those. They were the different mono mixes though.

Dodoz and rontoon like this.