Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Why did they replace all audio on Blu-ray/DVD restored footage with album masters? What a waste. Just doesn't sound right.

Big Pasi likes this.
  2. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

"All"? Hardly. There's hours of video with the original audio. What are you talking about?

3. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

There is the rumour (didn't check it myself) that the Pink Floyd Piper 'special' made in Brussels had an alternative mono mix, but this was replaced by the regular album versions.

asdf35 likes this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's not a rumor. I have near perfect copies with the original mono audio remastered. In a few cases there are differences in the mix (Paintbox, Corporal Clegg).

5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I believe the poster meant any video where the studio recording was the audio of the film. In that sense, they did replace all of them with the masters rather than the actual audio from the show/film. In some cases it really made sense to do that. In others, it lost out on unique mixes or just didn't mesh well with original audio they had to blend with it or was no longer in proper sync. I would've preferred they at least included the original audio as a 2nd track.

Spadeygrove, HE1NZ and Chris M like this.
  6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Not all. But I agree with you regarding the second audio track option.

rnranimal likes this.
  7. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

And therein lies the problem with using the word "all" in regards to restored footage. Makes it sound like they literally took the KQED performance and slapped the studio versions on them instead or something.

I also agree with a second audio track. It would have been nice, but this is such a minor thing compared to what was included as video content.

zinan, surfling and rontoon like this.
  8. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Well, I've reached the middle of the second disc (1968) and finally there's some footage with live sound. I figure they replaced audio because it's supposed to use the same studio mixes anyway, however album stereo isn't really mixed with video in mind and it sounds detached. It should be mixed in mono and I bet original mono used in the video is a little different to the studio album mono too.

9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Can this be explained to a guy with limited brain power? I tend to notice any Syd (Piper) related news, and I've generally followed this thread. This info is not computing, especially with Rontoon's response.

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

This is referring to the Tienerklanken videos from 1968. In these videos the band mimed to playback and originally the mono mixes of these songs were used for the videos. Some of these mixes differ from the stereo versions. Here's a link to the videos from TEY where the original mono mixes were replaced with stereo audio with better fidelity.

Pink Floyd Tienerklanken 1968 - YouTube

For comparison, here's Paintbox with the original audio. The main difference is at the end of the song.

Here's the original version of Corporal Clegg for comparison with the version on TEY. It also has a different ending.

Pink Floyd Corporal Clegg Belgian TV 1968

It's too bad we didn't get the original audio (or at least the option of 2 audio tracks) because these are rare mixes!

Clear enough? :waiting:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  11. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The alternate ending of "Corporal Clegg" has always intrigued me. I guess they were still working on the album and just sailed/flew/drove to Belgium with rough mixes/working tapes?

That guitar at the end is so Syd Barrett-like, even if it has to have been played by David.

andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yeah, I like your theory. And these may have not even been the official mono mixes and could very well be one-offs making them even rarer.

Dodoz and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Yes, thanks! I thought Atagong's post was referring to some form of TEY sets containing an alt. mono mix of PATGOD....Reading comprehension isn't always my thing...

rontoon likes this.
  14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Chris M recently posted on this forum saying Corporal Clegg was first rehearsed with the Syd line-up and he could even be the guitar player... or else Gilmour playing Syd's part. I found that to be intriguing, to say the least.

15. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Years ago (mid nineties) I went to a showing of Live at Pompeii in a small cinema at the Vondelpark in Amsterdam. For starters they had the Tienerklanken stuff on film reel. Funny thing was beforehand the audience was told the audio was on a separate tape. So they had real trouble syncing those. They were the different mono mixes though.

Dodoz and rontoon like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I also assumed this was yet work-in-progress and they sort of premiered that song exclusively on Belgium TV. Think I've read the song was also once considered to be released as a single!
    Btw, a little segment from the yet unfinished mix 'survived' on the mono version of the final mix. It's the short transition before the second chorus, which is different to the one that can be heard in the stereo version.

JohnS and Dodoz like this.
  17. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

If not Syd, that's really David aping Syd's style very well, which was pretty much was he was trying to do at the very beginning of his time in the band.

The part that could sound a bit more like Gilmour to me is the "dear oh dear were they really sad for me?" menacing riff behind and the wild wah wah work during the "Ms Clegg, you must be proud of him" bits. Although it's nothing fancy, it sounds less Syd-like than the rest of the song. But some bits really do sound like him...

That said, Dave is miming the right parts (the main riff, and what I called the "menacing riff") in that Belgian TV appearance and is playing a Telecaster like Syd. It's intriguing. To my ears, this recording really sounds like it could be a combination of the two guys. BUT Dave could have pulled it off as well, given his skills. I remember reading that, before he became a member of Pink Floyd, he could pull off a Hendrix-like style/sound.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  18. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Checking it out now...Where has this version been all my life? I usually like stereo mixes better but the fidelity here is much better IMO. The stereo mix is very muddy.

That said, there seems to have less tracks in the mono mix.There's none of the single note ringing guitar (the one that sounds the most like Syd to me) during the verses.

Thanks for pointing out this version! I LOVE this song! :)

rontoon and andrewskyDE like this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There certainly are some Hendrix-like guitar licks by Gilmour on early Floyd recordings.
    One track I spontaneously think of is 'Song 1' from the Capitol Studios session in 1968.

Dodoz likes this.
  20. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Four years since this was released and I see that its hovering around the $400 mark on Amazon. Does anyone think the price will decrease with more time? I realize its a good deal right now with all of the discs you get, but I was curious as to peoples opinions. Was this a limited edition release?

21. If you can do without some of the non audio/visual content and Volume 7 Continu/ation the individual sets of Volume 1 to 6 are generally a lot cheaper on Amazon UK most volumes are £25 or less right now.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    ARK likes this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My humble advice: buy the separate volumes, you're not missing that much without the Continu/ation set, and I'm sure the Meddle surround mix will get released properly one of these days (no pun intended).

Edit: I say this as a box set owner.

23. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

I could do without the movies, but I'm very happy to have these on the Vol 7 DVD:

2. ‘P1 – P wie Petersilie’ 16.52
    Stuggart, Germany, 22 July 1969
    Corporal Clegg
    Band interview
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    4. ‘Kralingen Music Festival’ 10.16
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 28 June 1970
    Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
    A Saucerful Of Secrets
    5. ‘The Amsterdam Rock Circus’ 35.41
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 22 May 1972
    Atom Heart Mother
    Careful With That Axe, Eugene
    A Saucerful Of Secrets

Especially the Amsterdam video!

progcode and Hymie the Robot like this.
  24. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The blus of the movies are best purchased separately as the versions on the box don't even have subtitles. The 5.1 mix of Meddle is easily obtained on eBay or elsewhere.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. Outside of a rare clearance deal or something on Amazon with a very limited window, I doubt you see it ever go down significantly in price. The music labels largely don't do that today in the age of more limited back inventory. They simply don't manufacture excess supply as much as they used to in the heyday of the CD format. That means fewer clearance deals and the like.

Like others here, I would go with the individual sets and look for the exclusive material elsewhere if money is tight.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.