Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I own the full box, but I still haven't gotten around to accessing Meddle in 5.1. How do people feel about this mix in general? Is it worth the effort to acquire?

2. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I have the box and my Blu-rays have subtitles. What I find inconvenient is that you can only turn them on or off for the whole disc from the main menu, i.e. you can't turn them on or off while watching a particular chapter.

3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

You're kidding me. I'll have to check that out. I recall not being able to access any subtitles on the blus.

Wait a minute, you're talking about the movies, right?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  4. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

if you have or can access/borrow an external BluRay drive for your PC, you can download MakeMKV and use its 30 day trial. Ripping the 5.1 mix to an MKV file is very easy with instructions out on the net (or enquire from members here who’ve done it already).

As for the mix? Yeah, it’s worth the effort. Its ‘early’ Floyd, so Andy Jackson did not the sheer number of individual audio tracks/stems to play with as he had for The Division Bell but it’s a delight anyhow. Echoes in particular works well in 5.1 and is interesting to compare and contrast with the vintage Quad 4.0 mix (as with Dark Side and Wish).

Its multichannel Floyd, where even the lowliest of their 5.1/Quad mixes are better than most other band’s best.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Wow has it really been 4 years....

Still enjoying the contents of this release a lot.

ARK, Simon A, Billy_Sunday and 4 others like this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I love the vintage quad mixes for Floyd, though "Echoes" was a bit less successful than most of the others, imo, though still enjoyable. I actually only just recently acquired the WYWH Immersion set and listened to the quad mix last weekend, loving it. Tonight, I may give the 5.1 a go so it'll be interesting to compare.

I don't have access to a BluRay drive, sadly. I kind of cringe at the thought of having to shell out more money than I already have to gain access to something that should have been made available in the first place. . .

coffeetime and rontoon like this.
  7. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

What data do you need to enter in the search bar to find it?

8. Trainspotting

Huh, I just checked and couldn't find any. I bought one on eBay a couple of months ago and there were lots. This is all I found just now.

pink floyd meddle early years surround sound | eBay

No mention of it being the 5.1 mix either.

9. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

But is it the 5.1 mix or just the stereo remix?

10. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Is your purchase a BD from the box or an individual issue likely pirate?

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Yes, the movies.

12. Trainspotting

The 5.1 mix. That's what we're talking about.

13. Trainspotting

The box.

zinan likes this.
  14. Raf

Raf Senior Member

@Trainspotting: Sorry, I just realized what you've been talking about. :oops: You're right, More and La Vallee in the box (both Blu-ray and DVD) don't have subtitles. What I was referring to in my earlier post was the video content. My apologies. I forgot all about the included feature films. My brain must be short-circuiting from reading the COVID-19 coverage in the media. :sigh:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    JulesRules likes this.
  15. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Thank you for your response! I assumed someone might have done an individual 5.1 release. Good thing I made a mistake.

16. Trainspotting

Man, don't worry about it. I make mistakes all the time here about what people are referencing with these internet discussions and whatnot. Conversations are always better when you can hear someone's voice, not when you're reading something the guy wrote a while ago... Lol.

bobcat and Raf like this.
  17. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Bar a few minor bits, that German bad guy from memory, most of More is in English anyway.

I watched La Vallee in ignorance and didn't feel I'd missed much. It's kind of hippie fluff anyway though nicely shot in a beautiful part of the world.

NunoBento likes this.
  18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Yes, thanks, I know that.

But the Ebay CDs that come up under this search: pink floyd meddle early years surround sound | eBay won't have the 5.1 mix on them because they're...CDs!

19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

There are CDs with 5.1. A DTS stream is encoded into PCM audio and you get 44.1khz DTS when fed to surround receiver via digital hookup. Otherwise you get a loud blast of redbook quality static. But yeah, it looks like all of those on eBay are standard CDs.

bobcat likes this.
  20. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Fair enough. I did not know that.

So they could contain a 5.1 mix...but since they don't advertise that one presumes they don't?

rnranimal likes this.
  21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Correct. For reference, you can search Paul Mccartney DTS 5.1 CD to see listings for DTS CDs.

bobcat likes this.
  22. Trainspotting

Yes, thanks, I know that. That's why I said it's confusing. Apparently, you can't get the 5.1 mix on eBay anymore.

23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Love the alternate video for Arnold Layne as well. I think it's better than the more well-known one.

24. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Was Meddle 5.1 cancelled because it's kind of poor? I think there's too much reverb and weird flanger effects. What's the consensus on the remix?

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It was pulled because it wasn't done by Guthrie. Love the 5.1 mix by Andy.