Pink Floyd The Early Years Blu-Ray Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hattipper, Sep 2, 2019.

1. How long between the first reply today and the shipping notice? I have the first reply that states they’re going to alert me when it ships, but that was several hours ago. Perhaps in the queue?

2. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

Me too

3. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

Less than an hour apart for me.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

They went silent on me around Oct 7 as well. If that's you I would nudge them again -- they followed up with me a day later. Seems like they have their things together now.

5. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

Did you ask for all blu Ray discs

6. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

Just give them a nudge, emailed them originally on 07/10/19.
    Resent email got reply just now with ticket no.

7. SilverCheek

SilverCheek Forum Resident

Just got the "received your request and will send you dispatch details" email. This after I simply copy/pasted the disc list/info for all 8 discs from the initial mail we got.

8. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

Official announcement is up on Facebook.

9. recordromantic

recordromantic Forum Resident

BAD NEWS!!!

I have just received the 8 replacement Blu-ray discs and, bar one (DEVI/ATION), they all still have the slightly “smeared” outside ring!
    I haven’t tested them but probably they are readable.
    The question is for how long?

I find it incredible that after all this Warner is sending us more faulty discs.
    I have a feeling that they have not understood/identified what the issue is.
    Their official comment that highlighted a “small batch of discs damaged in transit” (or something of that kind) seems to confirm that.
    I thought it was just an excuse given in order to not admit a widespread manufacturing issue, but maybe they really believe that!

Anyone else got their replacements and what are they like?

rnranimal and vudicus like this.
  10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

That's worrying.

11. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

I received delivery confirmation for all 8 Blu-rays. Waiting… :D

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yep, just wanted to post this.
    Pink Floyd | Facebook

13. recordromantic

I think they haven’t produced new discs, they are just sending out the ones with less evident defects from the original stock.
    That would explain the surprisingly quick exchange process.

Bill Mac, zinan, NunoBento and 2 others like this.
  14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That was very quick but now I’m not so disappointed I’ve yet to receive any response.

This was obviously a manufacturing defect and they need to actually press up more like they said.

Do you have the ability to check and see if the hidden 5.1 remix is present on obsfuscation?

15. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I 'm really wondering if there 's a change in the playback of Alan 's Psychedelic Breakfast quadro track - does it sound complete on the new press?

16. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Mine arrived today. There is a very slight shimmer on the very outer edge of the discs, (the clear plastic section, not the silver surface), that is only really visible when you move the disc in the light. However, I've also checked several of my bluray movies, bluray audio and even Xbox One discs (some bought years ago and some more recently) and they all have that exact same shimmer on the outer edge when you move them in the light.

So obviously what we are seeing happen with the faulty 'Early Years' discs is not directly attributable to that shimmer effect in itself and I wouldn't personally be worried by that as it appears to be common on most discs.

If anything, the quick turnaround is maybe due to these discs being sourced from the individual volumes batch, which don't have the problems the discs in the box did from what I've read.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    recordromantic likes this.
  17. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

Yesterday i sent an email [email protected] asking for replacement blu-rays and i attached my Amazon Italy invoice and the discs pics. I also listed the catalog numbers of the affected discs (all of them).

Today i received this strange reply:

''Hello ,

Many thanks for your e-mail.

We have noted you have placed your order with a separate company to us.

Please locate your order confirmation email and contact the company who sent you that email.

Alternatively, if you no longer have that email please look on your bank statement for the name of the company to whom the money for the order went to and contact them directly.

I’m sorry I could not be of more help.

Kind regards,

Laura
    Warner Music Customer Services''

Did anybody else receive an email like this one? What should i do?
    I was thinking an Amazon invoice was more than enough proof i have bought the box...

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I’m reading that email as not saying they want an order confirmation from you but as them saying they can’t help you and you should contact the place where you bought it.

At least a couple people in the US were told the same thing about where they bought it while others in the US were not and were issued replacements. I am in the US and have heard nothing after sending my request on Oct 2nd.

19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I’m not clear on what the shimmering is. The issues with mine are a combination of rough cut edge with rippling and bubbling between the layers which start from the edge and spread. The bubbling appears to have originated at the rippling from the rough cut. I’ve seen nothing like this before.

sharedon and vudicus like this.
  20. recordromantic

This sounds a bit reassuring, thanks!

Incredulous_Observer likes this.
  21. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Same here.
    I have the bubbling on the edges, and patches of discolouration on the surfaces, starting at the edges.

rnranimal likes this.
  22. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

I’m thinking about buying separate boxes. Are any editions not affected?

23. recordromantic

Where would I find it?
    This replacement disc is exactly like the one I had in the box set: the only 5.1 mix appears to be the Live At Pompeii one.

24. mc9

mc9 Forum Resident

Could be, but they also replaced the Continu/ation disc 1 and disc 2, that are not available as individual volume and only as part of the complete TEY box.

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It can only be found with a blu-ray drive. It's hidden on the disc. They removed it at the last minute but only removed the link in the menu for it while leaving the actual files in the disc structure. They then removed those hidden files for the individual release so it would be interesting to see if the replacements they are sending out have the hidden files. If so, it's a decent indication they are sending out leftover discs from the pressing of the box rather than ones pressed for the individual sets or newly pressed ones.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Rekkerds and recordromantic like this.