Pink Floyd The Early Years Blu-Ray Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hattipper, Sep 2, 2019.

1. SilverCheek

SilverCheek Forum Resident

After ocular inspection, all bd are slightly "wobbly" on the outer rims of the discs but one of the two in continu/action has a big damage/bubble. Remains to be seen if readable and/or ripable. Bummer

2. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

I thought it was just a few discs. And I got the replacements for them. If other discs are starting to show signs them we need to gather to campaign and have a full on assault at WMG’s corporate office.

Some of us are doing so with the WYWH BLURAY replacements.

When I get back home from vacation I’ll check my set. I pray they are ok. Because ya, They shouldn’t be defective. Least not after a fee years.

3. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Just checked them visually. BD1 of Continu/action is clearly affected. Four small bubbles and some oxidation on outer ring.

4. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Mine too looks like that.

Chris M likes this.
  5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Clean bill of health for my box set largely; it’s an early one with the Meddle 5.1:

Cambridge St/Ation: Minor irregularity outer 1mm but disc plays normally.

Germin/Ation: Pristine, plays normally.

Dramatis/Ation: Pristine, plays normally.

Devi/Ation: Pristine, plays normally.

Reverber/Ation: Pristine, plays normally.

Obfusc/Ation: Pristine, plays normally.

Continu/Ation: Few tiny irregularities outer 1mm but plays fine on disc 2, disc 1 pristine and plays fine.

I certainly can’t see any obvious bronzing or other abnormality and do know what to look for having had a couple of DVDs bronze. Obviously I haven’t had time to play the whole set but have picked a random video from each disc and played it through.

scobb likes this.
  6. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

When you say 'plays normally' do you mean you put the Blu-ray and the menu load normally?

What i'm afraid is that the disc seems to play fine but while you watching it, when you reach the corrupted data, your video will start to skip and freeze.

ARK and Zongadude like this.
  7. mc9

mc9 Forum Resident

Just checked my box (Amazon uk pre-order). All CD's and DVD's are fine. For the BR's:

Cambridge St/Ation: rough outher edge but plays fine

Germin/Ation: rough outher edge but plays fine

Dramatis/Ation: bronzing, does not play

Devi/Ation: rough outher edge but plays fine

Reverber/Ation: rough outher edge but plays fine

Obfusc/Ation: looks good and plays fine.

Continu/Ation: both look good and play fine.

Tomorrow I will pick up a PC BR player to rip my discs to ISO, especially the Reverber/Ation BR for the hidden Meddle mix, which the inevitable future replacement will not carry.

This is the third PF box I have with BluRay problems. The WYWH Immersion still has clicks and they never replied to my requests for a replacement. The DSOTM BR luckily got replaced last year, and now this. I am very disappointed and frustrated about this whole affair. I have bought almost all Pink Floyd and solo releases including the expensive boxsets, but if they don't come up with a generous replacement program I will certainly skip the Later Years box and go shopping for a nice torrent.

As a compensation to their fans they could include the OBC 5.1 remix on the replacement discs. I am pretty sure their appaling quality control wouldn't notice. Roger would believe it was just incompetence.

marc with a c and Tuco like this.
  8. Sevoflurane

Menu and at least one video from each disc played fine. I may go back and have a longer viewing of the two discs that have minor irregularities, but what I can see looks to be peripheral to the actual playing surface, and is I think, unchanged from when I first got the set. I also treated myself to a viewing of the whole set a few months back during an idle couple of days.

Having said all that, my experience of the DSOTM Blu Ray was that the disc played perfectly until it failed completely and looked completely pristine, so I cannot exclude the possibility of a complete failure occurring in the future. I will get backup ISOs made over the next few days, though all of the important surround mixes are already backed up as FLAC files.

9. SilverCheek

All discs start up normally but I have (not yet) seen everything on it so it might be issues still.

However: Continu/ation 1, the one with the one big bubble, starts up but shows no menus. :( I cannot therefor access any information on the disc. See pictures for reference compared with the DVD verions of the same disc and the irregularity on the disc. Hoping I can rip it, but not really getting my hopes up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

I emailed him as well

11. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

For me, just physical condition (I can't play them at the moment):

Cambridge St/Ation: very slight irregularities around edge, seen this before with other blu rays but no issues occurred.

Germin/Ation: peeling on one spot, goes in about 1mm beyond the border of the readable area.

Dramatis/Ation: like Germin/Ation, but in multiple spots and a little deeper into the readable area. Definitely the worst one.

Devi/Ation: nothing unusual so far.

Reverber/Ation: nothing unusual so far.

Obfusc/Ation: nothing unusual so far.

Continu/Ation: nothing unusual so far.

So for me, it's the first three volumes that are displaying issues. Right now I'm experiencing Devast/Ation. :realmad:

JulesRules and vivalapsych like this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Vex/ation.

scobb, ARK, Reese and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sevoflurane

The overall QC on this set has been poor. The possibly accidental / possibly not inclusion of the Meddle mix may have benefited some people, but as well as these emerging problems with disc failure, there were other issues. Weren’t the left and right channels on the Stockholm material out of phase with each other? And the quad mix of AHM won’t play to the end on a normal BD player; the only way to play it fully is to rip the files and either play them from a drive or burn them to a disc.

I made my own BDRs, one full of 5.1 and one full of quad Floyd mixes compiled from a combination of TEY and the Immersion boxes. Bet they’ll outlive the official releases!

RAZORMADE, JediJoker and mc9 like this.
  14. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Thanks Ron, I'll write to him explaining both my case and the case of many people here who love the Floyd dearly and buy everything they put out, no matter how outrageous the price, only to be betrayed like this.
    I have faith in this band (in spite of al this) and that they're gonna solve this to the fans.

Chris M, Jimijam, Hattipper and 3 others like this.
  15. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Ugh - mine seem to be OK so far. Some of them have a slight roughness/glistening around the edges, but no bubbling. Yet. These things are supposed to outlast me! I'll be majorly pissed if these start to go south.

16. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

wow and I thought "disc rot" was a thing of the past only prone to early dvds.

17. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Well at least you have an idea of the lifespan of the original discs. Less than three years.

18. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

It can happen with any optical format if a cheap manufacturer is employed. I'll give them some benefit of the doubt because it's not like this is an issue that showed up a month after the discs were pressed. I will, however, be furious if they ignore this problem and don't start a replacement program for the blu rays. And if they do, it better be for all of the blu rays in the set because who knows how long those will be fine? Another couple months? Couple years? There's no way to know.

mc9 likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It worries me. Optimal actually is a very good pressing plant and especially makes great quality vinyl records. Don't think they are a 'cheap' manufacturer.
    Now after hearing of (and seeing) issues of some of their Blu-rays I'm a bit scared...

20. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

I bought the set a couple years ago and haven't even had the opportunity to dig in yet. :( What's worse, I bought it specifically for the Blu-ray content, so depending on how badly my discs are affected I could have shelled out $300 for potentially zero hours of pleasure and enjoyment.

Let this be a lesson to not build up a substantial backlog. Take your time and just enjoy the stuff you buy before making another big purchase. :(

21. SilverCheek

Getting a lot of error messages while trying to run a backup of Continu/ation 1 with MakeMKV...

I'm in the exact same situation. Who knows if the issues I'm experiencing weren't there from the beginning?

22. Kevin Howard

Kevin Howard Forum Resident

Both of my Continu/Ation discs are affected, with bubbles and some oxidation. They seem to play OK.

23. What's strange is that peeling isn't a common Blu-ray manufacturing failure - manufacturers solved that problem back in the late 2000s. It's a result of the protective chemical coating applied to all Blu-rays going bad.

Hard to understand why only Pink Floyd BDs have this issue - it's an extremely rare phenomenon on the millions of movie Blu-rays.

IronWaffle, ARK, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  24. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

I was an early adopter when blu ray came out and have hundreds of movies and TV shows and these are the only discs I have noticed anything physical going on. It's definitely weird.

NunoBento likes this.
  25. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

No problems with any of mine. I purchased in Canada if that makes any difference.