Pink Floyd The Early Years Blu-Ray Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hattipper, Sep 2, 2019.

1. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

That's where I purchased my set. Wish I had your luck :(

2. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

amazon.ca for me, and like i said, 2 are starting to peel (like the image i posted post#2) and 1 starting to 'bronze' that is unreadable.

3. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Just checked the two worst ones (Obfusc/ation and Dramatis/ation in my case).
    At least now they play fine.

I can live with the dvd:s if the blu-rays fail, but of course it's frustating with so expensive boxes. (Pre-ordered Later Years already)

Luisboa likes this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I made backups of almost all Early Years blu-rays recently, both ISO and MKV.
    Meanwhile I also wanted to backup the Dark Side Blu-ray from the Immersion set and just found out it's only partly readable now.
    MakeMKV couldn't extract two files from there. One of these chapters is the album itself (hi-res stereo and surround mix). Luckily I ripped the audio years before. Oh man, this is sad times.

IronWaffle and Luisboa like this.
  5. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

:shake:

6. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Where is this happening? I might want to join.

IronWaffle, mc9 and JediJoker like this.
  7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Uh oh.

One disc is affected...thus far. It's the Blu-Ray on the 1969 Dramatis/ation set. There is a quite a large air pocket forming. Similar to the photo on page one of this thread. Disc seems to play fine thus far...but for how long?

I pre-ordered mine (big box) from Bull Moose in the U.S.

A replacement program needs to start NOW. I will not order The Later Years until this all sorted.

8. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I just ordered another 1969 set from Amazon U.S. I'll receive it Thursday and report on the condition.

9. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

This is just not good enough and seriously needs to be addressed.

Hattipper and JediJoker like this.
  10. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Just checked all my BDs, and they all load and play just fine. I ordered from Amazon.co.uk on November 14th, 2016. 1969 DRAMITIS/ATION is the only disc that really looks bad, though nearly all are wavy at the edge. This appears to be an issue with the two plastic halves not being uniform where they meet in the middle (sandwiching the reflective layer). I've seen this on other discs before, mainly BDs. Is this a common manufacturing defect for BD media specifically? If so, why? The CDs and DVDs in these sets, also pressed by Optimal, don't have the same problem.

andrewskyDE and albertop like this.
  11. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Just checked the BDs in my set visually, and yep, I've got the same issues too. My worst affected are BD 1 of Continu/ation and the Dramatis/ation BD.

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  12. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

So it's safe to say this is a major problem with at least the box sets and not just limited to a tiny selection of people right? It's sounding like the volumes that were sold separately are fine so far unless I missed someone's post.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

In my boxset all but 2 BD are starting to show peeling (although minor at this time) probably due to the dual layer.
    Completely unacceptable.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Hattipper likes this.
  14. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Yeah, mine are definitely affected. The bubbling seems to be mostly on the outer rim, so hopefully there's no data corruption yet. One of the discs definitely had a cloudy spot that had encroached beyond the rim of the disc, though... Need to rip these bad boys pronto.

Rekkerds likes this.
  15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I have four - '69 through '72. They all look perfect, and all have been played multiple times.

My Dark Side Immersion BR disc looks perfect too.

So far, does it look like the bad discs only come from the big box?

16. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I bet the individual box buyers will experience the same problem within months.

JediJoker and Hattipper like this.
  17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Just adding a datapoint. I did not buy the pig box but have bought 4 of the smaller ones. I’ve only opened one so far though. My 1969 disc has no visible issues but I have not played it since the thread started.

18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

PINK FLOYD
    THE EARLY YEARS*

* Oh By The Way,
    In 3 Years Make Sure The Overpriced Bumpy Blu-Ray Drink Coasters Are Still Playable

Frans T, sparkmeister and Runicen like this.
  19. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I always wanted a Peel session from Pink Floyd, but this is ridiculous.

20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

It’s worse than cd tit with its 1,000 little pin pricks and a lot more “ahhhhhhahhhhahh” and feeling more than just a little sick.

21. SilverCheek

SilverCheek Forum Resident

After a couple of tries with the Continu/ation BD1 I got the menus to appear on my computer but after clicking on "Videos" this distorted menu appears. It is not possible to navigate in it and MakeMKV seems not to be able to extrakt that part of the disc. It seems to play fine when choosing "Play All" but I will have to confirm that. The Committee seems to play without issue and is also extracted by MakeMKV.
    [​IMG]

22. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

So does mine. None of the 4 BD disc players or the two BD drives I have recognise it as any known form of optical disc any more. Whatever caused this particular disc to fail does not appear to result in a visible defect, unlike this issue with TEY.

JediJoker likes this.
  23. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

That bubbling effect is exactly what myself and others had on the faulty Bluray discs that did not work when the set was first released in 2016. Absolutely gutted for everyone that this is happening on such an expensive box set with so many discs to check. I am really unimpressed that after the issues with the Immersion boxes, we now have another set with discs that need replacing.

Resolving this is going to be a major headache for those responsible and there will presumably be a knock-on effect to The Later Years release, especially once this issue is known on a wider scale.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    mc9 and Luisboa like this.
  24. mc9

mc9 Forum Resident

I checked my TDB BR from the 2014 box set, and this one is produced by Optimal as well. Still looks and works fine, but who knows for how long? Worth checking if you own this.

JediJoker likes this.
  25. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Checked my discs last night, and this describes pretty exactly the condition of them. The cloudy spot is on the 71 Reverberation BD.
    This box is probably the most expensive thing I've ever bought for my music collection, and it being the first one to self-destruct is just beyond frustrating....