Pink Floyd The Early Years Blu-Ray Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hattipper, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

....time to check the replacements too....

2. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Make sure your blu-ray burner is set to burn at the slowest speed. I made a lot of coasters before I found this out.

3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thanks. It seems a bit hit and miss when I try to rip Blu-Rays. Sometimes it works fine, other times nothing I try seems to work. I'll have another go with this setting.

4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Check the appropriate thread. It seems the replacement program was once again opened:

Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

5. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Thank you for this - really appreciate it as I had given up all hope.

JulesRules likes this.
  6. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Two questions from someone who missed out on the replacement program... My apologies if these have been asked/answered before:

1. Is there any material on the Blu-rays that's not duplicated on the DVDs?

2. Is there anything on the Blu-rays that's actually HD vs. upscaled SD? I know a lot of this stuff was shot on film, but I'd be interested to know if any of it was sourced from the original elements vs. an old Betamax transfer.

7. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I'm hoping that purchasing these individually I will be ok. So far I have only bought Obfuscation a few weeks ago.
    Worrying that members are still having problems.

englishbob likes this.
  8. vivalapsych

vivalapsych Forum Resident

I can’t say for sure ..and I only own the BDs. But they certainly look like HD transfers from the original film elements. That is except for the abomination that is the directors cut of Pompeii . That looks like crap. I say directors cut but it’s really only the performances from the directors cut in all its horror without the extra interview portions.

My biggest disappointment with the set was it not including a true HD transfer of the Pompeii material.

9. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I’m sill furloughed in work so I have been listening to my immersion box sets.
    I have noticed that my DSOFTM and WYWH quad mix’s don’t play in 4 channel only the front two. The LCPM 5.1 and 2.0 are fine. These two discs are replacements my TEY Quads are great that’s Meddle Echoes and AHM they are in DTS HD 4.0.
    Please can people check or am I the only one. I’m talking about the blu rays only the DVDs are fine.

scobb likes this.
  10. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

My replacement DSOTM and WYWH definitely have 4 channels of audio as I ripped them and see audio data in all four channels if I open the rips in Audacity.

If both DSOTM and WYWH are not playing in quad properly [but the other mixes are fine] I would suspect either a BD authoring problem which might only manifest itself on your player, or possibly your player / amp have taken it upon themselves to fold the quad mixes down to stereo.

Edit: PF BD releases have had authoring issues before, as well as the premature failure of the DSOTM BD. If you try to play the 5.1 of Atom Heart Mother on a BD player it cuts off early, despite the actual audio files playing perfectly if ripped.

Mrmojo likes this.
  11. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Sorry; quad version of AHM, not 5.1. There isn’t a 5.1!

JediJoker and Mrmojo like this.
  12. Frances the Mute

Frances the Mute Well-Known Member

I got the individual boxes for 10 dollars a pop. I'm only missing Cambridge Station. I hope the discs don't die on me.

13. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

That a crazy good deal.

14. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

What player u using? What avr u using? Issues w some models have been discovered.

Sony ubp x800...etc...more info over at QQ

15. Bevilacq12

Bevilacq12 Active Member

So as someone who would like to purchase this set, are there any "good copies" to look for? Discogs shows 2 different versions with 2 different barcodes. One is clearly the EU version, with IFPI 9*** discs all across the board (CD/DVD/BD), corresponding to a very common EU disc replicator. The other Discogs listing says Japan, but the one IFPI number provided is for a USA-based replicator, and the packaging lists a New York address for Sony, and I can't find any other mention online of this set being remotely Japanese. So presumably this 2nd one should actually be a USA version?

And assuming that the above is correct, is the USA set safe?

16. Iirc it’s only the European version which had the issues.

Sevoflurane and albelTW like this.
  17. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

All disks are printed in Europe, so you can buy from any distributor. You should keep in mind that in a Big Box (2016) there may be non-working BDs, for them there is a replacement program. In 2017, 6 of 7 individual volumes were released, all BDs work perfectly.

Tuco likes this.
  18. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

is that blu ray replacement program even good anymore?

19. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I sent a request to replace 3 BDs and received new ones 2 weeks later by registered mail. All replacement drives work great!
    Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 :
    "If you have any of the above discs that are experiencing playability issues, please TAKE A PHOTOGRAPH of the condition of the affected disc (both back and front), email [email protected] stating the affected disc(s) catalogue number(s) and attaching the photographs to the email, including full delivery details, and they will send you a replacement."

Tuco likes this.
  20. Bevilacq12

Bevilacq12 Active Member

My understanding was that the replacement program ended on January 1st, 2020, and people were getting denied as little as 3 days later. So I don't think it's possible to still take advantage of this.

As for all discs being from Europe - is that truly confirmed?

This is clearly the European version - Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972
    Made in EU on the box, with all discs having IFPI 97** mold codes ('optimal media production')

Then there's this Japanese version, which sure seems like a US-manufactured version sold in Japan with a translation sheet packed in - Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972
    New York address for Sony on the packaging, and the one IFPI number listed is 50**, which is Sony DADC in Indiana, USA. This is just the CD though - I wish I knew the IFPI codes for the rest of the discs.

There is no Discogs entry for a US version, but I assume one exists? Both just because why wouldn't there be for a band like Pink Floyd, and because the Japanese edition seems like a repackaged US edition?

For two previous Pink Floyd box sets, Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Box Set and Wish You Were Here Immersion Box Set, the EU sets had faulty Blu-ray Discs manufactured in Europe, whereas the US sets had correct/working Blu-ray Discs manufactured in North America. Adding to the confusion, however, is that the 'Japan' editions for DSOTM and WYWH were the Europe versions with additional translated pack-ins...

vivalapsych and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Got mine while living in Canada. All the blu-rays eventually got the issue.

When was this? From what I understand the replacement program is long over. Was it extended?

Anthrax likes this.
  22. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

You can ask this question at the specified e-mail and find out exactly whether the replacement program is valid for damaged BDs..
    ALL BDs were printed in Europe, for the American version some cds were printed in Indiana.
    Pink Floyd Archives-U. S. Box Set CD Discography

Hattipper likes this.
  23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

There has to be a separate US version as it would be on the Sony label. The UK version would still be Warner... more specifically, those are the distributors. Pink Floyd Records is the actual label.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  24. Bevilacq12

Bevilacq12 Active Member

Ok, that link explains it - just the disc taped to the package was replicated in the US, all the discs in the box were manufactured in the EU even for the US release. Bummer.

25. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Not what I was asking you. You said you requested replacements and I'm asking when you did this. The replacement program ended a year ago as far as I know. I don't want to get people's hopes up that they can still get their discs replaced if you got yours done back in 2019 before the program was discontinued.

vivalapsych, JulesRules and Anthrax like this.