Pink Floyd The Early Years Blu-Ray Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hattipper, Sep 2, 2019.

1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Indeed. 3 cheers for Lana Topham, their video archivist!

And FYI, the audio used on the version of Clegg on the Belgium clip from February '68 was a "creative decision". Just not one that many here would agree with.

As far as Andy's is concerned, I don't think he'll be working much longer. Nothing really to work on Floyd-wise, what else is left from the DG era?

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thanks rontoon. I'm not sure if that is more or less baffling. Probably more!

rnranimal and rontoon like this.
  3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

We all know that there's still quite a lot of stuff from the Later Years sitting on the shelves that he can work on (Atlanta, AMLOR demos, TDB jam sessions. Fractals OST, LCP OST, all the European 1994 shows, etc), but if the box was the last word from that era, then unfortunately that might be left there.
    Also, on a completely different note - which might be of interest to Andy -, I wonder if David has considered the release of a live album from his last run of shows at RAH. Those were really special nights and that was some of the best playing I've EVER heard from David. It surely deserves a document, even with Pompeii out there.

TheKevster and JulesRules like this.
  4. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Agreed, that a release of the last RAH shows is a 'necessity'! Having been at the 2nd Pompeii night and those both last RAH shows, they were miles apart performance wise. He's done it with Gdansk as well, that was intended as a live album only, but ended up with a bonus DVD, even though the Remember That Night bluray was released already. Shame that Gdansk hasn't been given an official bluray update, by the way. It's available as a fan-made bluray with the Palladia HD broadcast and is outstanding.

5. This.

6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Surround mixes of David's first two solo albums? I know, he doesn't seem to rate them, so it sounds like a long shot.
    This. I haven't heard the recordings but read his voice was much better too.
    And of course DG has 'threatened' a new album too. :cool:

NunoBento likes this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There's a difference between what could be worked on and the reality of what will be worked on. I'm afraid that the post-Waters catalogue is done and dusted.

The only thing that Andy will probably be working on is David's next album. And he may have to come out of retirement for that one. :laugh:

Deek57 likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This seems to only be a Pink Floyd issue. Not really a bluray issue

9. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It isn't. I have a Frank Zappa "At the Roxy" Blu-ray which no longer plays, Disc is a euro optimal media disc, probably pressed at the same plant and same time period the failed Floyd Dark Side discs. Sadly Frank is not as popular as PF so there is no campaign to get the Roxy discs replaced.
    Anyway, fwiw I got my Early Years box down off the shelf a few days ago, happily all the Blu-rays still play, they do have slight edge rot but it's no worse than it was last time I checked about eighteen months ago. As Blu-rays and other digital discs play from the centre out I'm not going to worry.

10. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Just leaving this here. Even on stuff like "What Do You Want From Me", David is absolutely killing, firing through all those little fills like he was playing for the very last time (which he may have been). His voice is also strong and confident, unlike the more restrained Pompeii performance.
    Magical night.

Ha! I was on 2nd Pompeii and the last RAH too. Also in Pula, Verona, Firenze and both Hollywoods. Any more nights that we may have bumped into each other? :)
    Would love to see that BluRay!

mattazing and JulesRules like this.
  11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

A bluray of the complete Gdansk show would be an autobuy.

Charlie Z. and JulesRules like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

PINK FLOYD

THE EARLY YEARS

BLU-RAY ISSUES

13. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Why Warner??? They don't handle Floyd in the US. Sony does. (sorry... I now realize this is about the UK blu-rays and not the US ones even though you are in NY). Also, no one from one of the big three labels is going to care at all about this. All you'll accomplish is getting yourself banned from contacting the company. For Warner UK, who does handle PF distribution over there, it's going to be a blame game, and think they would blame Pink Floyd Records for not giving them a directive on what to do. Same for Sony in the US.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  14. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

I guess you missed the previews posts.

15. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I didn't miss a thing. The proper party to blame is Pink Floyd Records. They ultimately give the go ahead for releases, and in this case, the way in which the replacement blu-ray program works.

16. poster72

poster72 Active Member

anyone wanna share one of their blu ray rips with me? id love to feel safe that i have a good copy. the obfuscation blu ray is the one that jammed me. id feel bad about it if there weren't these issues

17. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Verona, July 10, 2016!

NunoBento likes this.
  18. poster72

poster72 Active Member

I would gladly offer any of these rips of mine up to anyone that has the box and needs it. I can't get anyone at warner to do anything. unreal. probably should return to amazon, but i got a decent deal on it.

No one wants to share a good rip of obfuscation Blu-Ray?

19. Eskimo Chain

Eskimo Chain Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed....

Apologies for bumping an old thread, I have just picked up this set from Amazon, is the best thing to do play the Blu-rays to prevent the bubbling?

20. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

I have the original pressing of this with the disc issues, this was about the discs not being manufactured/sealed properly on the original run of boxes... I'd assume anything purchased now would have the updated discs. Either way, playing or not playing won't matter... hopefully you got an updated set, if it's older you'd likely already see the defects on the blurays, check them out carefully and play them all to make sure they work.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    JediJoker likes this.
  21. [QUOTE="Cenobyte, post: 29349549, member: 71135" I'd assume anything purchased now would have the updated discs.[/QUOTE]
    Maybe yes, maybe no. I'd definitely LIKE to think that anything purchased now would have updated discs -- but I don't know that there's any way to say that definitively.

I will say that it was fairly obvious (at least with decent glasses) that the blurays I had didn't look quite right. I've still got them (somewhere), and images on them on my phone still (maybe). Not all of them looked back, but at least 2-3 of them did show some evidence of being less than perfect (on the printing side, iirc).

22. floydfan33

floydfan33 Member

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but just wondering if this replacement program is dead or if anyone in Canada had success getting replacement. My purchase was via Amazon at launch (Nov 2016) and I have tried:

- [email protected] - an original and email follow up with proof of purchase and disc defect images, no response
    - Pink Floyd Music (Music Direct) - cookie cutter response saying not their issue and to take it up with Amazon
    - Just sent an email to [email protected] and will wait and see

Pretty much all my Blu-Rays have edge defects and 3 have started to delaminate. Most still play except Reverber/ation which won't go past the top menu (luckily I ripped the 5.1 Meddle at launch!).

Anyone had recent success with replacement?

23. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

Searching this thread, I found this address: [email protected]

floydfan33 likes this.
  24. floydfan33

floydfan33 Member

Thanks for the address. I have sent them a note !!

brfloydfan likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Let us know if you have any luck, I believe the program was only open briefly, and I did not get to exchange my faulty discs.