Pink Floyd The Early Years Blu-Ray Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hattipper, Sep 2, 2019.

1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

I'm looking at buying a sealed box off Discogs, now the price has come down some.... I'm wary about buying it now.... God knows what the condition of the Blu-rays are in. I was only buying the box for the Meddle 5.1. I might just buy the discs separately now.

2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I checked some of the TEY blu-ray discs. The one that starts with the French TV stuff where David wears the hat and does a brief question and answer bit in French has the markings at the edge shown in the pictures. The French TV stuff played fine. I guess at least all the DVDs will be ok or has anyone had problems with them?

3. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Meddle 5.1 and the 2016 stereo mix are both not included on the individual box release.

PhantomStranger and JediJoker like this.
  4. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

I know.... but rather than take the risk of buying a turkey, (and a rather expensive one at that) I'd rather buy the separate volumes and acquire the 5.1 by other means ;)

opiumden likes this.
  5. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

So aside from emailing Paul Loasby himself using the email Ron provided,how else can we escalate this? Anybody have any suggestions?

Rooster_Ties and Jerry Horne like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

From the posts I see here the worst condition seems to be the Blu-ray from Dramatis/ation (ironic, the title suits perfectly), and second worst the BDs from Continu/ation...

zinan and Hattipper like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Writing directly to Optimal, I think.

JediJoker and Hattipper like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have two books from the official individual releases (Cambridge St/ation and Devi/ation) and they have no layer issues. Though I'm doing backups of these right now as well, just in case.
    I believe these were re-manufactured at a later time than the content for the big box, especially as little changes were done then (omitting the hidden Meddle remix, for example).

9. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

[email protected]?

Hattipper likes this.
  10. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Yes. Email the wmg corp. officers.
    I had to do it to correct my Defective discs

RiRiIII likes this.
  11. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you still have their contact information?

RiRiIII likes this.
  12. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

It seems that Karma get on with them. My discs are fine and plays all but could degenerate within a couple of months. Completely unacceptable by any means. I urge everyone to boycott Later Years release until they not start replacement campaigh

RAZORMADE, mc9, Jimijam and 4 others like this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Early BR pressings of The Who -
    Quadrophenia was a peeling disc. Quite a few of them were effected. I held off buying one until the dust cleared on that title.

Btw, is it late 2000-2010 era you meant by late 2000s?

14. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

My Obfusc/ation blu-ray is easily the worst. A massive edge bubble more than inch long and extending into the disk probably 3/8". Cambridge St/ation and Germin/ation also show some edge delamination.

Am I correct in remembering that the only content difference between the blu-ray and DVD disks is the hidden 5.1 Meddle? Maybe the resolution of the blu-ray is different?

15. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

This is a friggin' nightmare. Is the problem confined only to the Bluray discs in the box set, or has anyone observed any issues with the DVDs and CDs within the set?

Further to the above, I see it mentioned that Optimal produced the Bluray discs in these sets. Is anyone aware of any other box sets or releases by other artists that may contain Bluray discs produced by Optimal that have similar 'rot' issues?

16. vivalapsych

vivalapsych Forum Resident

Mine are from the box and all look fine. Well...it’s nothing like the pics I’ve seen but my Dramatis/Ation 1969 may have just a bit of something going on. Like a tiny minor nick under the surface on the outer edge. My discs have been stored away from its box (hundreds of miles away actually) in paper sleeves. I didn’t check the 1971 disc because I can’t find it right now! But it’s gotta be around somewhere.

17. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Maybe part of a master plan as it seems like a great way to stop people buying physical product!

vivalapsych likes this.
  18. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Checked mine, they look all bronzed with blisters. Now I know why both DVD and Bluray are in the box.

mc9, zinan, RiRiIII and 1 other person like this.
  19. Kevin Howard

Kevin Howard Forum Resident

I received a reply from Paul Loasby to my email about this issue (two of my discs show rot, half have oxidation on the outer edges).

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your email and the information.

I have alerted Warner and Sony and Optimal will be coming back to the parties with updates and then we’ll determine what to do.

I will need some time to deal with this.

regards

Paul Loasby

20. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Another victim here. Thank you for writing to Paul, Kevin. Like others, this was one of the most expensive music purchases I've ever made, and was something I was very excited about having. Ugh.

RAZORMADE likes this.
  21. RustyStatic

RustyStatic Forum Resident

Hi all, longtime lurker first time poster. Love this forum, I should have become official a long time ago; this thread finally got me to take the plunge. Just wanted to say that as a Floyd nut, and someone very empathetic to what everyone is experiencing here (I am as well), I wanted to post what I just sent in a joint email to PF's manager, Optimal Media, and the email address that was previously handling the disc replacement. FYI, really. Will let you know if I hear a reply. I also think that us reaching out to Paul Sinclair over at SuperDeluxeEdition to get him hopefully spreading the word and in on the charge would be a good idea (I'm thinking of signing up over there as well so I'll take the lead). Will post my message below - nice to "officially' meet and interact with you all.

SUBJECT: Pink Floyd Early Years Massive Blu-Ray Failures: Major Issues Brewing Online

Hello there,

My name is (RustyStatic)—I am a massive Pink Floyd fan and collector, and also happen to help lead a prominent customer experience design group in the U.S.; which is why I'm respectfully and professionally reaching out to this group (Paul Loasby, Pink Floyd Management; Optimal Media, blu ray manufacturer; WMG customer service, previous contact point for faulty discs with TEY box set) to let you know what is currently brewing online, if you're not yet aware.

Put simply, even after the replacement program for the two blu ray discs that were failing upon initial shipment, now after the three years from initial production, people are noticing that the remaining discs from the big box (the individual releases do not APPEAR to be affected so far) are bubbling and peeling at the edges, rendering them unplayable. On the stevehoffman audio forum this appears to be the case for at least 30+ people so far, and even assuming the best, I went back and checked my own discs last night as well and was horrified to see the beginnings of curdling/rippling along the edges of all of the non-replacement discs (some being worse than others). CDs and DVDs do not appear to be affected.

I am writing for two reasons:

1) To make sure you're aware that there is quite a storm of righteous anger brewing on-line right now. This is also leading to a lot of talk about folks staying away from the forthcoming Later Years box if this issue isn't fully acknowledged and addressed, because they can't afford this again. I am also very concerned about the forthcoming box, even though I understand manufacturing errors are possible and do happen from time to time. It's a real shame it happened in the context of a big item like this, so I understand what this must be like on the business side—but I also understand what this is like on the customer side, which is quite simply unacceptable.

2) To offer what I think might be a palatable solution as a starting point:

- Acknowledge the issue as you've done in the past with the immersion sets (sadly, I missed the return period there as well and have a Dark Side blu ray that is unplayable... any help there is beside the point of this email but jeez, I'd love to feel like I got my money's worth for that investment, too, if you can help me out on a personal level there...)

- Offer a return label via pinkfloyd.com and ensure that messages directing folks to redeem them get to forums like stevehoffman, superdeluxeedition, brain damage and pinkfloydz.com

- Allow those affected to send their blu rays back to you free of charge using that return label, so that you can confirm that they do in fact have an official copy of the set worthy of replacement (people bought these from outlets all over the world so this feels like a simple confirmation step and will avoid any bootlegs or folks attempting to say they have the official set but don't)

- Allow people to send back the entire set of 8 for a fresh 8 (there's a lot of concern that "yeah, I don't see issues right now... or what I see seems minor and it still plays, but something still seems off... but how can I trust there won't be further deterioration?")

That's my two cents. I have no idea how many of these were sold, but I know they were sold to die-hards like me who are squarely in the target audience for future releases (the next one planned for November), who are feeling quite burned right now. I also know they were sold for a significant price (for a significant product, that I dearly love, I must say, so that's not a knock), so I would assume there's room in there to make this right without you all being upside-down on the deal. But I do think you should make this right and a lot of folks are looking for you to do so—and from what I can see brewing, potentially a lot more to come.

Sincerely and respectfully,
    (RustyStatic)

22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I’m glad to see Paul responded and will be looking into this. Thanks for messaging him. I’m very curious to check my discs in a few days.

For me I don’t consider the DVDs to be a fair substitute for the Blu-rays. Not only are dvds obviously of lower resolution but these are even lower than they needed to be for all the 4:3 material (which is most of it) as they encoded it within an anamorphic 16:9 frame so all that black area on the sides is robbing the picture of vertical resolution. Makes them more like svcd resolution.

IronWaffle, vivalapsych and JediJoker like this.
  23. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Good to see a response from Mr. Loasby and that they are taking the issue seriously and appear to be looking into it at this time. So kudos to Rontoon for the email address and to Kevin and others who wrote in to alert them of the issues.

So now that we have a response, should folks who are having issues with the discs continue to send emails or would it be better for Kevin (or someone else who's gotten a response) to write back and mention the thread and that this is a fairly widespread issue? I don't want to flood Mr. Loasby's in-box such that it becomes noise or gets Rontoon in trouble for giving the email address out. Thoughts?

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Didn't have time to check mine last night, will check again today.

25. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Fat lot of good it'll do if it turns out to have rot and won't play.

JediJoker likes this.