Pink Floyd The Early Years Blu-Ray Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hattipper, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've just checked mine. They are fine, except for the Continu/ation bluray, which had a huge bubble from day one and never played proplerly (I got a refund from Amazon for this issue).
    Each time I look at The Early Years I can't help thinking "one of the most overpriced releases ever".

lightbulb likes this.
  2. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

If you buy The Later Years I bet it will take its place

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

You're absolutely right. Outrageous, and that's the main reason I'm not going to buy it.

ODShowtime and Christopher B like this.
  4. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Part of me thinks flood him so that the extent of the problem is fully appreciated but having one representative of the forum staying in contact would surely suffice as long as it's communicated that this is not an isolated issue and every set sold could be affected either now or later.

The Super Deluxe Edition website is often a good place for such matters and if somebody can get Paul over there made aware so he can get the word about it may help put some pressure on a prompt official response and resolution.

vivalapsych, lightbulb and JediJoker like this.
  5. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

His email has been shared on Yeeshkul! as well as here..... He might be getting quite a few. I would let Kevin liaise providing he doesn't mind.

BeatleJWOL and JediJoker like this.
  6. SilverCheek

SilverCheek Forum Resident

I got the exact same answer. Fingers crossed some will happen.

7. SilverCheek

I mentioned and linked to this thread in my initial mail.

TheHypnoToad likes this.
  8. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Does anyone know of any reported problems related with "Endless River" or Gilmour's "Pompei" or "Rattle that lock" Blu-Rays?

9. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

I'm terrified to go look at them.

10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Just checked mine.
    Bubbling round the edges of all the discs, and bronze patches on a couple.

11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Mine are still fine, fingers crossed. Although I'll be fine (dvd guy), I think it's a bloody shame this is happening.

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  12. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

I noticed The Early Years Box is still on sale on the Amazon website, so hopefully there's still time for a replacement program for defective discs.

13. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

Remember That Night are like new. Pompeii also, but they're newer. Don't have the others.

14. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

I doubt it. We’ll have to hit everyone at warner corp if Paul doesn’t come through. If I find the discs are having the same issue. I’m going after all of them. When I get home from vacation that is. I might just bypass Paul and go straight to Chiefs

Hattipper likes this.
  15. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Is just the big box affected? I bought the individual books and checked my blurays. They all look fine. I only opened them and started watching them about 6 months ago but have owned them for a couple years.

16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Finally got around to checking my discs (I have the big box but bought it months after the initial rush). Nothing visually wrong with any of them and the first three blu-ray discs play normally.

I have to admit though, even with their presently ok state, my confidence in the longevity of these discs is a bit shaken given what others have experienced. It'd be nice if it could be honestly determined that this was isolated to specific "batches" of discs, but I have a hard time imagining that something like that could be taken at face value. That being the case, I guess the only real solution would be to replace the lot for everyone who has any of these sets - ideally with discs that aren't at risk of deteriorating in a handful of years.

17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Dr Floyd said the only cure for the Infest/ation is a shot of Peni/cillin.

18. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

Volume 8: Deterior/ation

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  19. Yes, generally any problems with the protective chemical coating were thoroughly solved by 2008 or 2009. There were other common Blu-ray manufacturing anomalies but none applicable to this situation.

Blu-rays fail in different ways from DVDs and CDs.

IronWaffle likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It looks to me like the peeling effect has not been completely or permanently solved unfortunately.

Hattipper likes this.
  21. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Rushed home. Washed my hands, first thing I did was to check my Early Years box.
    To my horror, my discs were also peeling off. Bubbles everywhere. Dramatis/ation 1969 suffers most from this symptom.
    I'm never, ever going to trust PF records with my hard earned money again, not before they make this right.

22. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

The 1971 and 1972 discs in my set are most affected. The others show no signs of deterioration (yet).

23. H.Timseel

H.Timseel Forum Resident

Hmmm, every time I try to install and run MakeMkV it says it's too old or enter a registration key. I thought it was free?

24. SilverCheek

25. H.Timseel

H.Timseel Forum Resident

Thank You Sir.