Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. painbird

painbird Forum Resident

going back to the album talk;

i just listened to 'soundscape' again today and i really doubt this will be what the album consists of. i can't imagine there will be an album full of people mowing their lawns and bugs and birds doing their thing. from what i remember in nick's book he said they had 65 snippets that went down to 25 songs and they had had enough 'songs' for a double album. he seemed to imply the ambient album was a separate entity.

Rooster_Ties and wayne66 like this.
  2. Pupalei

Pupalei Active Member

(Very) Drunk, so forgive me... I agree with all of you. Except the crazy idiots that don't think the wall is wonderful. Y'all just ain't right.

tim185, gsmile, No Bull and 3 others like this.
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Hope you're in for the night. Enjoy!! :cheers:

gsmile and Pupalei like this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

To me lyrics were important from DSOTM to TFC. Outside these albums the lyrics are less important to me.

I think lyrics become important when they are really strong.

When they aren't i just don't pay close attention. Not that there weren't good lyrics at times outside these albums they just weren't as strong.

I don't go to the Please Please Me album for lyrics. But i love it to bits. Hen i listen to WYWH i'm in it for both the music and the lyrics.

PhoffiFozz and Billy Infinity like this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I would not have bought them if the lyrics "sucked." I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.

vertigone and Oliver like this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

As if you are not the one laying the"bait" in the first place.

Oliver likes this.
  7. DrKlahn

DrKlahn Member

Unless I misread, the material that this album is being made from was worked on by Rick. I believe one article had a reference to it being his "Swan Song". As far as no regard, that isn't accurate for the the Floyd fans I know personally. We'd all like to see Roger collaborate, but that ship has sailed. So we are content with what is and not upset with what isn't going to be.

Billy Infinity, One Louder and tkl7 like this.
  8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I agree.
    I'm not sure why it is hard for people to understand that if the primary lyricist of a band spends lots of time and effort into the lyrics/concepts of the bands music then the fans of that band would find them important and worth paying attention to.

9. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

O
    Did Roger waters solo albums combined outsell The division bell?Did the Final cut outsell AMLOR?I can praise many bands who sell records in the hundreds cause I love them,the general populace could care less,the argument is what the masses think,not one persons opinion.

10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's fairly rare when a solo album outsells the band that they broke off from, as David Gilmour found out with About Face, hence his decision to reclaim the more well known Pink Floyd brand.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Why are you quoting that post? The one directed at you stated that I would not have bought those albums if the lyrics sucked. You said that "Nobody would not have bought them if the lyrics sucked." Therefore, your statement is false, and who gives a crap if Division Bell and The Final Cut outsold whatever? I don't see how it is relevant at all to the discussion.

dkmonroe likes this.
  12. I agree, sales mean nothing. Too many other variables have a far greater impact on sales, than the issues being debated (most of them unnecessarily) in this thread.

13. amonjamesduul

Because the argument was PEOPLE dont care about the lyrics, not if you do,my mistake using the word NOBODY to mean a very low amount and not a metaphysical certainty of 0.0% of the populace.

14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

David did a disco song, and he expected "About Face" to sell?!

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You said: "Nobody,I mean nobody"
    The Dictionary says: nobody used in this context (as a pronoun) means "no person; no one."
    There is no definition of "nobody" that means "a very low amount"

People who consider the lyrics to be very important to their own personal enjoyment of Pink Floyd do not seem to have a problem with people who only care about the music. SO, why is it that some people, who only care about the music, feel the need to deny that there are a lot of people who find the lyrics important?

This Heat likes this.
  16. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

What is the exact amount then of people who do care vs those who don't?

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

As stating the obvious-Pink Floyd is known as releasing some of the best concept albums in the history of rock. The concepts being tied together by lyrics. If the lyrics were bad or non-existant, the whole Wish you Were Here as the great tribute to Syd doesn't really work, it's just a lot of great music with no frame of reference for it's ultimate theme.

blackmoreb35 likes this.
  18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I agree completely. The eloquent lyrics on WYWH invest the music with a more powerful emotional resonance, but I can just imagine one of our cohorts responding, "Well, I don't give a crap about Syd, I just love the sound." I can appreciate that with certain bands, the music takes precedence over the lyrics a lot of the time--I feel that way about King Crimson, one of my all time favorites--but particularly by the time we get to DSOTM and WYWH, probably their two most well loved releases, the lyrics and the broader concepts were integral parts of the whole. These albums work on every level--the music, the production, the words, the concepts, the artwork. They already had a great sound in the early 70's, but these landmark albums really captured the imagination in a different way and a lot of that down to Roger's vision.

19. amonjamesduul

As I said ,when I said nobody I meant it in the way someone says"Nobody put Sardines in their Captain Crunch cereal"obviously not true,somebody somewhere does,most do not ,or just enough to get buried in the noise..I have no problem with people liking whatever they like ,I despise group think,but there is no way WYWH would be a forgotten album if the concept was about growing up near Grantchester Meadows insted of Syd,Dark side would still be popular if about space travel instead of madness,etc.Maybe not with the Prog/concept minded minority who will sit down and listen thru an entire album and then ponder it for hours,but yes with 80% of the Floyd fans who at the show sing loudest during Money cause the word ******** is used.

20. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Everyone had a point to prove, eh?

21. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

Luckily for all of us, a ****ing match between members of the Steve Hoffman music forums has no bearing on what The Pink Floyd, which historically consisted of a combination of 5 core members in various configurations, has in store for us. I am glad that they are still making music--- regardless of record sales, literary relevance, politics, album production style, personal preferences, and "brand names".

22. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I said little regard, not no regard. As I say, there are those die-hards who still don't realize that the Floyd easily carried on with neither SB or RW.
    They are quite obviously in the minority.

23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Perhaps because music is a marketable commodity and ends up being the bottom line to whether an artist can continue the art without pissing away his own wealth?
    And because the real voting in this country doesn't take place in polls, because people vote with their dollars, or whatever currency their part of the world accounts in.
    Had PF declined in popularity during the 80s instead of their huge increase in popularity ( and sales) perhaps this upcoming Pink Floyd album wouldn't even be happening.

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Dark Side of The Moon: RIAA: 15× Platinum
    Wish You Were Here: RIAA: 6× Platinum
    The Wall: RIAA: 23× Platinum

Momentary Lapse of Reason: RIAA: 4× Platinum
    The Division Bell: RIAA: 3× Platinum

Do you really want to continue this line of reasoning?

As I said before, People who like the lyrics are not arguing that "nobody just likes the music." Yet you feel the need to deny that a large chunk of fans actually do care about the lyrics. Why is that?

dkmonroe and Oliver like this.
  25. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

He didn't seem to have had a choice about the disco on The Wall, I think he was somewhat obligated to participate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.