Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I see. Easy mistake to make. I think Mr Wrights input is essential to anything calling itself Pink Floyd.

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Finally something we agree on.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  3. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Watching that press conference makes me think that perhaps it isn't so bad that musicians no longer get filthy rich selling records...
    With all due respect to the passed away, the shallowness of these guys is shocking. I think this conference really shows what Roger Waters brought to the party.

4. Music Geek

I thought AMLOR was one of your two favourite PF albums... ??

tkl7, Oliver and Tristero like this.
  5. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

A bit back OT: Despite the fact that PF isn't touring this album, one has to wonder what type of stage setup they would use if they did. Would it be just a modernized version of their '94 Hollywood Bowl inspired dome?

I can only imagine the top-o-the line tech that they'd want to get their hands on. Sure, the gap between The Wall shows in 1980 to Waters' 2010-13 Wall tour is a bit of a bigger gap, but still.

6. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I imagine that the album is going to be a lot of reflective mood pieces a la Cluster One and Marooned rather than "tunes" and that it would not fit a full blown rock show. More intimate venues with a visual backdrop maybe?

xXFloydianXx likes this.
  7. DrKlahn

DrKlahn Member

I too would guess that they would modernize the dome/Mr. Screen arrangement. This would allow them to use the same material for older performances and would still work well with presenting new songs. The laser setup would be even more amazing. Hopefully the giant Comfortably Numb disco ball would still make it. It's still probably the most amazing live concert effect I have seen.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Eh, it isn't that bad. I watched the whole thing and it's boring as hell, but mainly because it's taking place months before the album's release or any performances and the band just don't want to spill the beans about what the album or stage show are going to be like. And what the heck are they going to say about Roger or Syd? "Oh, ya, I just had tea with him the other day..." The introduction from the Volkswagen rep was pretty cringe-worthy though. The band just look out of place and uncomfortable. I don't imagine that if Roger were there it would have been too much different, except that maybe he might have wanted to reveal something about the concept of the album, as there surely would have been one.

It doesn't seem dissimilar to other press conferences I've seen of bands. The Led Zeppelin one promoting Celebration Day was equally boring and the participants nearly as uncomfortable and terse.

It's funny how Nick really seems to be the wit of the band. They probably should have just sent him to do the conference! :laugh:

Shak Cohen and Billy Infinity like this.
  9. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Apologies if this has been posted, just seen it myself for the first time.

[​IMG]

10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Is this legit? A majority of the songs have lyrics which would go against what the bands website called mostly instrumental.

J_D__ likes this.
  11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

This has been identified as a fake, I believe.

Spacement Monitor and dbz like this.
  12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Really?, I didn't know as these threads are just huge. My apologies.

13. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

You'll notice that there wasn't single live album until AFTER Waters left. As soon as Dave took over it was turn the cash machine onto Interstellar Overdrive. His shows are full of material Roger wrote. For a guy so determined to make his own way he spends a lot of time living off Roger. I'll take Pros and Cons and Radio KAOS over Until We Sleep and On an Island any day. I do love Dave's first solo record.

14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

No need to apologize. It looks legit. I thought it was real too, until someone (rontoon?) pointed out it is not.

dbz likes this.
  15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I can't imagine taking these two albums over anything, so those Gilmour albums must really stink.

16. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

The list is probably fake. I believe that we think it is fake because most of the songs have lyrics and we have been told that the album is mostly instrumental based. But what if the songs are mostly instrumental yet have a small smattering of lyrics peppered throughout the songs. Just a thought to chew on.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  17. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

You forgot Ummagumma (live disc).

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

What you fail to realize is that there are very few songs that Roger has sole writing credit for on those live releases. On PULSE; Hey You, Brick 2, Money, Brain Damage/Eclipse. That's 5 of 24 songs. And at least David toured with new material while Roger has been playing the nostalgia card since 1999. Talk about cashing in! And he's not only lip synching on The Wall tour but the video footage was prerecorded as well. At least Gilmour plays and sings live. You can keep Pros and Cons and Radio KAOS, two horrible albums. IMO.

Big Pasi, Carserguev and rockledge like this.
  19. I quite agree with some of what you've written here--Dave did focus on material that was co-written from the band's most fertile period. However, I personally think Pros and Cons is an exceptional album (Radio Kaos is a disaster as far as I'm concerned but it does have one great song on it) that could have been great....if Dave Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason had worked on it.

Carserguev likes this.
  20. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

"Sole writing credit" is a very good one. :laugh: If you just looked for sole writing credit, George Harrison would be the only Beatle that counts.

:wave:

21. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

As opposed to what?

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think he meant the shots of Roger singing, which would at first seem to be live shots of Roger, whose movements mimic those of his projected image, but soon you realize they are not live shots. Now, if they used pre-recorded close ups of Dave's fingers during a guitar solo, that would be troubling to me. The Wall's different though.... less of a concert, more of a show.

rontoon likes this.
  23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

It is.

24. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Ahh, got it. Thanks for that.

As far as the lip syncing goes, I'm still waiting on full blown confirmation that he all-out lip synced. I've heard that he used backing tracks, but during one The Wall shows I saw he literally stopped the song (Thin Ice) because something was wrong with his mic and he wanted to sing the song. I just really didn't get the feeling that he was lip syncing.

dkmonroe likes this.
  25. Music Geek

So why did you write that Richard Wright is essential to anything calling itself Pink Floyd? You need to make up your mind, but I know it is difficult to be consistent when you are focussing on being controversial at all costs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.