Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

it's like river, stand in it and you'll never hear the same argument twice. Oh, wait...

2. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

After some initial shock and confusion, I am getting quite stoked for this. Don't know what to expect and I'm at times probably letting my expectations get too high.

Why Pink Floyd? I think as has been mentioned upthread is probably correct -- that Columbia has distribution rights to the masters, and considers them Pink Floyd masters.

Aside from that, it seems DG and Co. is trying to lowkey it, but at the same time now that it is a "Pink Floyd" release, I feel he's gonna have to dress it up grandly. And I want that.

I liked On An Island enough but it's VERY lowkey and I don't revisit much. I was fully on the Floyd bus for AMLOR and TDB and while I don't revisit those very much either these days, they *were* grand statements as was PF's wont throughout its history. They were EVENT records.

While this upcoming record sounds like it is to be different (i.e., "mostly ambient music" ... that description keeps damping my expectations..), I can't help hoping that DG whipped it up into something grand.

PhoffiFozz and tkl7 like this.
  3. Harvest Your Thoughts

Can anyone provide a link to show that the David Gilmour album is still going ahead in addition to this? I can't find any solid evidence now to confirm that. All articles seem to have flipped to suggest it was a PF album all along.

4. I go back and forth about AMLOR.

Every other time I hear it (barely twice a year, at most), it's either better than I remembered, or not quite as good. Without fail, I might add (like clockwork).

It's NOT so much that it's a collection of songs that's a mixed bag (some good, others not) -- but rather the overall mix of dated production, and sounding a little forced at times -- while at the SAME time, having quite a number of songs (most of them!) that have wormed their way in my brain, and as always, Dave's guitar-work never ceases to be pleasing, and is often inspired.

'Tis a puzzlement.

blackg, bopdd and DreamIsOver like this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

One of the places that it was confirmed, by PF/Gilmour manager Paul Loasby, is on the AFG website. www.pinkfloydz.com

6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I know exactly what you mean. I share your experience.

blackg and DreamIsOver like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8. Harvest Your Thoughts

Does that site actually confirm it though? I see two articles there, neither of which are dated plus they don't refer to each other. It could be read either way. ....

9. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Its right there, dude. Plus I'm friends with Col and I know about his meeting with Loasby. Its confirmed.

11. Harvest Your Thoughts

Ok, I guess this statement suggests it! "Hot on the heels of the confirmed new David Gilmour album in 2015 comes the news that a new Pink Floyd album is on it's way in October this year!"

rontoon likes this.
  12. Is there enough popcorn in the world to last us through to October?

Carserguev, dirie, ssmith3046 and 2 others like this.
  13. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I hope this goes well because i have a lot of respect for Dave Gilmour. On the other hand i'm beyond desperate for a Piper/Saucerful/Syd Immersion multi-cd/dvd super deluxe all encompassing box set. Let's hope everything goes beyond well on both counts.

PhoffiFozz, rontoon and Rooster_Ties like this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Great post!!

I remember hearing about a year ago that a Gilmour album was on the horizon. I am excited no matter what name appears on the cover.

Though I am a little thrown by WHY it has "Pink Floyd" on the cover and "On an Island" did not.

-Does Gilmour think an album released under his own name without a tour would sink like a stone in the marketplace?
    -Is it done to annoy Waters and his 20 year long claim of a forthcoming album or humbling him after the Wall tour?

15. Harvest Your Thoughts

Better ask David. Anyone else answering will just be speculating.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  16. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

somebodywhocares likes this.
  17. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

I don't care what the negative nancy's have to say at all.If your love for Floyd died after Syd,Roger,Rick blah,blah.Then that is your prerogative.My enjoyment of the classic Floyd sound has come to David Gilmour's guitar sound.At this point in time does all the crying really matter?I gladly look forward to the new Floyd album and a new Dave solo album.
    Your opinion might differ greatly from mine.That's cool too.

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Not quite. Some of us actually know what we're talking about and have connections with the band and management. And David is definitely not doing this to humble Waters or piss him off. He was really been inspired by these recordings otherwise he would have never awoken the Pink Floyd dinosaur again and his main motivation was to get these out there as a tribute to Rick.

19. Harvest Your Thoughts

did he remember this during the mastering process for The Division Bell?

20. SoundAdvice

Harder to grand with Storm T. no longer around.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Carserguev likes this.
  21. WTF! This post has a part 2 that's already on page 4?!? No way I'm reading 4 more pages of people debating whether this can be a Pink Floyd album without Roger Waters.

Have we at least decided if the Division Bell counts as a Pink Floyd album yet? ;)

22. Harvest Your Thoughts

Stats will be out soon.

23. Pupalei

Pupalei Active Member

I assume the 5.1 DVD is not hi res. I'd love to be wrong though. Any info?

24. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Roger already teamed up with Beach Boy Bruce Johnston on the Wall. I have to assume they never talked politics:D

(from what I understand, Johnston makes Ted Nugent look like Sean Penn)

25. SoundAdvice

20 years after the initial sessions and 6 years after he died make for an odd timeline. Maybe he came back to this stuff when they sifted through the catalogue, but otherwise many fans are still trying to grasp the backstory on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.