Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm not sure that's correct. The early post in this thread (from someone's synopsis of the UnCut article, the one with the mag cover) indicated it was nearly all material that wasn't from the Big Spliff -- that only a couple short things were Big Spliff-related.

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well all art is subjective. I, for one, like the artwork, find it very Floydian and also appropriate. After all it is a tribute to Rick. Some folks have found it inspiring. A good friend recently lost a family member, in fact the funeral is today, and he found some solace in that image. Who knows where our journey will lead us in the afterlife? And who can say that there isn't an unseen destination in that image? It's all subjective.

Pink Floyd’s album artwork, mostly created by Storm Thorgerson of Hipgnosis, is as legendary as the band’s music. With Storm’s passing in 2013, the task of finding an image that carried on Storm’s legacy passed to Aubrey ‘Po’ Powell, Storm’s original partner in Hipgnosis. Po said:

‘When we saw Ahmed’s image it had an instant Floydian resonance. It’s enigmatic and open to interpretation, and is the cover that works so well for The Endless River.”

KASHMIR, tedhead and Shak Cohen like this.
  3. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm trying to debate my opinion about the record, without taking it to the personal side and because the majority here has this pathological hate for Roger Waters (that makes them think any negative opinion about Dave Gilmour is a matter of a battle between good and evil) and can't stand different opinions, I became a troll. Why not calling trolls the people that are rightfully complaining about the cheesy artwork? "The Chairman Gilmour knows best".

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Why can't that simply be the journey to another place ? Why is something depressing always the first reaction ?

KASHMIR likes this.
  5. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

We'll all like it better when it's painted on some gal's back. :)

Pancat, longaway, Murph and 1 other person like this.
  6. Myke

That's on my wall right here ! My 7 year-old grandson loves that poster too ! :agree:

tkl7 and Jerry Horne like this.
  7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

:shake:

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Because you are consistently skewing, misinterpreting, and maligning the FACTS to suit your own personal agenda. Case in point; defining the majority of people here as Roger Waters-haters. Did you create a poll to determine this? Or is this just another fact that you made up? In any case, spew away. I'm done with taking your bait.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

This statement is total BS.

rontoon, Rooster_Ties, Oliver and 2 others like this.
  10. Myke

" I'm gonna call you on the phone everyday, tell you I never want to speak to you again. " :laugh:

rontoon and Rooster_Ties like this.
  11. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Sorry man, I may have exaggerated. You are the one who hates Roger Waters. The others, I don't know.

Smiths22 and cb70 like this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've got the lenticular 3d version of the poster. Beautiful female backs and etc., front covers of albums I've loved for so many years, that's a powerful image!

13. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

So it's more like "The Life of Po"?

Kidding. Actually, I'm going to check in and say I happen to like the album cover. It's every bit as mysterious, enigmatic and open to your own impressions as Pink Floyd's music has always been.

14. Just imagine if the digital version of the album was push-distributed for free via iTunes. Oh, there would be rioting in the suburbs I'm sure. :)

coffeetime, Driver 8 and rontoon like this.
  15. RE: Tolls, I think some like to argue more than they really believe the points they're trying to make in their arguments.

16. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

See post #801. :)

Dudley Morris likes this.
  17. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

I think the album cover is going to grow on me after awhile, I mean, it's alright.

Also :laugh::

[​IMG]

Smiths22 and longaway like this.
  18. Myke

Well, I'd never see it. Not one of those movies were on my radar ! :shrug:

19. Or airbrushed on the side of a vintage boogie van. :)

20. Pre-ordered from Amazon - Deluxe with Blu ray.

Looking forward to it even if it's little more than "Atmospheric" noodling by Wright, Gilmour, and Mason (but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be much better than that).

Wish these things didn't turn into Waters vs Gilmour all the time. That poor dead horse has beaten on for far too long. Waters admits he should have let the rest of the band keep the name. It would have been nice if it could have been different, but it is what it is. I believe Rick deserves a fitting finale after all he went through in those bitter years. So what if the cover seems "Cheesy" to some. Maybe others know far better what he would have preferred as a symbol of his Journey beyond this world.

Mr. H and coffeetime like this.
  21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Just saw the cover....I like it.

I am so excited about this new PF album and I'm not even that big of a PF fan.

22. I don't even know if Dave, Nick, and Rick should have continued under the PF monicur (and I'm pretty pro-Floyd 2.0) -- but who cares, what's done is done (talk about water under the bridge).

I don't blame Dave for wanting to continue as PF back in '87, and I don't blame Roger for being royally pissed that PF could somehow continue without him.

Neither position is 100% right, nor is either one 100% wrong. Just like life, it's complicated.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    Sparkler, Carserguev and Tristero like this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

You don't know me either. In fact, you seem to know very little.

tkl7, Jerry Horne and Rooster_Ties like this.
  24. I'm kind of looking forward to it myself and I haven't been too jazzed about anything anyone involved in the band has done over the past 34 years. Hopefully the music will err toward the more trance-y and not be as new-agey as the cover threatens it might. I also question whether this can really be called "Pink Floyd" given how it seems to be coming together, but at this point it's a surprise anything is happening along these lines at all so what the hell, eh?

25. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.