Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Unsubscibing now...just like turning off the phone. :help:

2. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I'm with you Myke. Bunch of whining old ladies.

rstamberg, rontoon and Rooster_Ties like this.
  3. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Yeah, it's pathetic how these things always soar and became "someone x someone". In my first posts, I never said the name "Roger Waters" but all the responses to them cited the poor devil and how "substandard" and "poor" his work was/is. Maybe he's the Mr. Pink Floyd after all, since it always ends on him, even if he himself moved away many years ago. Since I'm not allowed to put in discussion this whole "three members" thing, as someone that knows a lot about Pink Floyd said so, I'll be polite and don't talk about this terrible issue anymore. If the respectable persons that called me a troll forgive my dark "agenda" (yeah, I'm receiving 20 copies of Radio KAOS for criticizing David Gilmour), I'll keep looking the thread for information about this record. Even though they convinced me I hate it with all my forces, I'm still interested.

About the cover, it seems like a trend and it reminded me some of the later Rush artworks. Compared to the fantastic image on the cover of The Division Bell, it's quite a bummer.

Smiths22 likes this.
  4. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm sure Ron hates Roger Waters. In fact, knowing Ron and having just seen him a few minutes ago, he couldn't help but curse Roger Waters every three seconds.

5. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

what the heck happened here this morning....I have to go back and read what went down.

went to my local brick and mortar today and grabbed the Final Cut and Obscured by Clouds (used CDs but a decent way to get my feet wet)...I've never heard them. I just recently got the Division Bell actually...working my way through a second listen. I like it better this time around....a few of the songs I liked quite a bit today in fact!

6. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Don't need to call reinforcements, this subject is dead and gone.

Smiths22 likes this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Ha. The Mark of Zorro! :wave:
    Except for the trolls who continue to perpetuate it. And I see several forum members appreciating my posts by clicking on the LIKE button. How are you doin?

Mr. H and Jerry Horne like this.
  8. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

I have a friend that hates Obscured and I still can't understand how can someone dislikes it, since it's one of the most eclectic and "easy listening" records in their catalog. I think it's great and amazes me its position on the band's chronology. Childhood's End is a great track, my favorite all Gilmour song. But Stay, for me, is the highlight. Final Cut is a controversial subject but listen to it without prejudices and I think you'll like it.

coffeetime likes this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Here's a photo of one of the outdoor publicity installations.

[​IMG]

10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Very well said!

As to The Endless River; whilst the cover doesn't recall classic Floyd to me, I'm absolutely STOKED to hear this. Loved The Division Bell, loved On An Island. More music, produced with care, by the people who brought me TDB & OAI is to be anticipated.

If the lack of Roger, the lack of explicit approval from Rick, that this is being done under the Floyd moniker rather than Gilmour, Mason & Wright or any other facet of the impending release of The Endless River and the music therein bothers people then they should vote with their wallets and not buy it. Ditto the Wall, The Final Cut, AMLOR, TDB and any other permutation of these guys that some might consider to be a not-the-real-Floyd. Personally speaking I'd itching to hear this ,whether it is to be put out under the Floyd moniker or not, on the basis of the individuals making the music on it.

Off to iTunes to order the Deluxe version with an eye on ordering the CD+BluRay physical set.

11. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Enjoy! Outside of the the acknowledged classics Piper and the DSOTM - The Wall eras, there is so much to discover and love. Wots Uh The Deal? on Obscured By Clouds is an absolute, blissful gem. At the opposite end of the spectrum The Final Cut is Roger Waters with kn@bs on - The Gunner's Dream is one of the most emotionally affecting songs I've ever heard, occasionally reduces me to tears.

Keep listening :righton:

rontoon likes this.
  12. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Kinda like the new cover. A tribute to Rick and, maybe, Syd.

I almost wish they had given Waters a role on the album. Finish it right.

But I'm excited to hear the music.

13. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

For me, the cover also seems to represent the band itself riding off into the sunset.

This is it.

KASHMIR and Spacement Monitor like this.
  14. SpinningInfinity

going in a totally blank slate and I don't know the back story for either of these...so it should be a "fair" listen!

:)

Matheusms likes this.
  15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Obscured is easily their most underrated album, IMO. It has some of David's best songwriting, as well as some great collaborations between Rick and Roger. Free Four is a great song by Roger also, maybe the first real indication of where he would go later on with the Wall and the Final Cut.

coffeetime, Mr. H, NunoBento and 3 others like this.
  17. FWIW, the Division Bell has grown on me over the years (but only slowly). I never really heard it until about 2003 (a full 10 years after it first came out)-- other than maybe having spun it once or twice back in the mid-90's (if I borrowed it from someone, which I can't frankly remember if I did or not).

Which is to say that expectations of it (in 2003, finding a cheap used copy on CD for $6), were fairly modest. I sorta liked AMLOR (certainly I liked it a lot when it first came out, but I was really new to Floyd then, only having discovered them in the early 80's, and then I lost a lot interest in AMLOR over the years).

But, The Division Bell has increasingly felt like a breath of fresh air, the more I've heard it. And as long as I keep my expectations about it in check, it's a lovely album - with lots of great playing, and (musical) themes that have sunk in deeper and deeper over time. I 'get' the complaints about it, but the pros still outweigh the cons for me.

I have a strong hunch Endless River may hit me the same way - gradually getting better and better over time. Exactly HOW good my first impressions of it are, remains to be seen -- but I'm sure it will be a pretty inspired effort.

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't want to reignite the never ending debate on this point, but I am of two minds on the subject. On the one hand, Roger wasn't involved in the original sessions that produced this material, so it's hard to imagine how he could have been shoehorned in on a musical level (not to even get into the longstanding tensions between him and David). Still, it feels wrong that on the final Pink Floyd album, the other key surviving member has been left out. I would have liked it if he had been allowed to pen the lyrics for a song or two.

ShawnX and Billy Infinity like this.
  19. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

LOL yeah! :cry:

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Did it feel wrong that for the past 20 years that Roger didn't participate on the last (until now) Pink Floyd album? The man quit the band almost 30 years ago. It's not his band anymore and it never was even though he was the driving force for a short period of time. When you've remarried you don't date your ex. :p

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Jerry Horne likes this.
  22. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

For Roger to participate on a Pink Floyd record, it had to be from scratch and, probably, he'll have to be in control of all the conceptual side of the thing because he already said he and David have completely different visions on the most elementary subjects, let alone on the complex ones that Roger likes to explore. I really can't imagine these two, with decades behind them being the sole band leaders and having the final word on the business side, getting together and sharing ideas. The clash of the egos would create the impact of a hydrogen bomb in that damn floating studio. But an "expanded" Live 8 wouldn't be that bad before anyone dies.

23. SpinningInfinity

dang,...the opening of the Final Cut "The Post War Dream" is HAUNTING! "Maggie...what have we done??"

coffeetime and Hawkeye like this.
  24. I agree that, in the abstract, Roger's involvement would have been nice -- maybe even really nice. But life isn't in the abstract. Not getting into the personalities of things, I think Roger's moved away from what Pink Floyd typically sounds like musically since about 1979 -- and trying to get him involved now would seem like a square peg, round hole.

That ISN'T to say that Floyd 2.0 is the "one, true way" and that Roger is or should be the sole outsider here. Much as I kind of like some of it (heck, a lot of it), Floyd 2.0 isn't exactly 'Real Floyd' either (regardless of what the naming conventions have been for going on nearly 30 years).

My argument is mostly that Roger and Dave aren't compatible musically, regardless of the personalities of the situation.

25. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Where in Manhattan is this poster on the side of a building? Picture please :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.