Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Because this album comes from Pink Floyd sessions, featuring 3 members of Pink Floyd. It wouldn't make sense for it NOT to be called Pink Floyd.

2. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Fish are in water and they have more gills...................

sorry............

3. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I honestly think the reason he does that is because he is likely sick of spending decades answering the same question.
    I gotta wonder if he doesn't try to lay it to rest by making definitive no statements about it because without that question many interviewers simply won't have an interest in interviewing him.
    Even when he does make statements about "no new Floyd" they STILL ask him.
    I bet Jimmy Page and Robert Plant both go nuts about constantly being badgered about Zeplin all the time. Same thing.

4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

He was saying that, he just spelt it different than you do.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  5. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Because it is Pink Floyd doing the songs. It was not a solo effort by him, it was all three of them. He is not the kind of dude to slap the other members of the band in the face by releasing their work under his own name.

Rooster_Ties and LarsO like this.
  6. botley

botley Forum Resident

Didn't like A Momentary Lapse, couldn't stand Division Bell, Island put me to sleep — and I'm someone who used to spin at least one Pink Floyd album every single day of my life. My hopes are NOT high for this one, but I'm not going to try and reframe it as "not really Floyd" to make myself feel better. David Gilmour can do what he likes, it's been his band since Roger Waters left.

Say what you will about the man, but Waters brought to Pink Floyd all the good ideas that band ever had, and Gilmour has been milking those for decades. Gilmour can do amazing things with his voice and guitar, but his plodding, etheral songs about who-knows-what are just not my cup of tea.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    tojo1962, masterbucket, Mazzy and 3 others like this.
  7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I think they do a lot better without Waters. The music became more interesting and consistently creative. MLOR and DB are both very classic PF and rank up there with Dark Side and WYWH. I don't think Mr Gilmour is "milking" anything, the guy is just doing what he always did, letting the music flow out of him. David Gilmour IS Pink Floyd. The voice, the guitar, and the creative force.

KASHMIR, Carserguev and Rooster_Ties like this.
  8. botley

botley Forum Resident

Hahahahahahaha. Wow. Very classic, so Floyd, much wow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Thank you. But the single version is different from the film version (more snare drums, different vocal take). The Final Cut reissue and the Echoes comp have the film version AFAIK (the two parts joined together). Wouldn't it have been more logical to use the single version in those cases?

10. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

To put it bluntly, PF, at least to me, were always about the sound. Lyrics took the backseat for me. They were the icing for Dark Side~The Wall. I'd rather hear the meat of PF that of which is the sound, than a Waters history report.

11. botley

botley Forum Resident

Very true, you can't have pudding if you don't hear your meat, of which is the sound! "History reports" are for high school — hahahaha! You guys are great! Enjoy the new record.

tkl7 and dkmonroe like this.
  12. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

^Get off the bud, man.

13. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I see no reason to doubt his sincerity, he has more money than he could spend in ten lifetimes. I'm hoping for the best from this album.

14. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Surely a joke?

Malina, tkl7, dkmonroe and 2 others like this.
  15. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

You wrote six sentences and I disagree with each one of them.

Pupalei, dkmonroe, mando_dan and 3 others like this.
  16. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I agree with all of those six sentences. I definitely listen to the last two (and will be three) albums more than all the others. Though I do have a soft spot for Syd.

I'm predicting that The Endless River may in fact become my favourite Pink Floyd album if it pans it as has been suggested by the press release so far. (Can't wait for the trolls to come back at me for this post.)

Carserguev and Billy Infinity like this.
  17. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Totally agree with you.
    By the way, the single version of When The Tigers Broke Free is available here for those who can afford it:
    http://www.discogs.com/Roger-Waters-The-Wall-Berlin-90/release/2741293

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

In time there will be plenty of press to sort out all the details.

19. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I'll bet that they (Wright/Gilmour/Mason) expected these to be released eventually. Gilmour & Mason probably realized that if they didn't finish off some of these tracks on their own terms and put them out while they were still alive then they would've inevitably been released as unfinished, sub-standard outtakes by their heirs and record companies. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually find out that they had concrete plans to go back in the studio to work on these with Rick Wright before his untimely passing.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  20. I still have one of those, a promo from the top-40 station I was on-air at (while I was in college at at the time).

It also includes a brand new studio recording credited to RW and the Bleeding Hearts Band...

1–Roger WatersAnother Brick In The Wall* (Part 2) (New Recording)5:28

...that works really well.

21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

As far as I'm concerned, the sound of DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall annihilates the sound of AMLOR and TDB. The only Floyd album which is really more about the "Waters history report" rather than sound is The Final Cut.

And while lyrics aren't necessarily the focus of my interest in any band's work, the relatively poor lyrics of the post-Waters Floyd don't help the situation.

22. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I would agree for the most part. I also look at it this way-Dark Side thru The Wall are considered some of the best concept albums in the history of rock. What pretty much makes them concept albums are the lyrics which ties the music together. I think it is easy to criticise Waters now for his lyrics, some could say from The Wall or Final Cut (even though persoanlly I have no problem with them) and more so probably his solo albums. However IMHO in his prime he was a fantastic lyricist with lyrics and phrases that will be remembered as long as Pink Floyds music is remembered.

Pancat, dkmonroe and Tristero like this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Amen. When you hear people slamming Roger for being a whining millionaire or going on about his tedious history lessons, they're mainly talking about The Wall and The Final Cut. People seem to forget all of the excellent, articulate contributions he made to some of their most enduring works. Why does DSOTM remain so revered? Certainly, a lot of it has to do with the great sound of the band and the production, but Waters successfully tapped into some very universal themes that audiences could broadly relate to. (And again, I would point out that Roger did more than just write the lyrics--he often wrote the basic music as well and then the band would really flesh it out.)

I'm someone who values music over lyrics most of the time. If the tunes are solid, I can overlook less than profound wordplay, but when you get both excellent music and thought provoking lyrics, that's an unbeatable combination.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Waters' lyrics have changed dramatically since DSOTM.
    I expect there are songs on TFC and each of his subsequent solo albums that have more words than the DSOTM album as a whole.
    He has come close to becoming a spoken word artist with a backing soundtrack. While there is some value to such forms of art, I find I can only enjoy relistening to them about once every few years, like a film or a book, not day in and day out like an album.

What is the last Roger Waters lyric that is actually sung with a melody from beginning to end? Probably something off the Wall.

SoCalWJS, Rooster_Ties and Kim Olesen like this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Well, for me, Pink Floyd did end with Rick, but since it seems that he will feature on this album, I can get in to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.