Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

A not-so-good sounding mono cd was issued in '97, a 2cd mono/stereo as well as a 3cd mono/stereo/bonus in 2007.

2. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

2007. I got the 3 cd version, which is superb and the bonus disc still has a couple of otherwise unavailable tracks I think.

3. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Everything is an argument with you. Just sharing an impression that no one needs to agree or disagree with. I love the original mix, and I'm sure I'll love the re-mix. Just move along....

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Which is a shame. A vinyl release of this would be great, too, I think.

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay, then at least a 2-CD set release of the original and remixed version.

Kim Olesen and Opeth like this.
  6. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The Early Years set, from what I remember, was a November release with the individual sets coming out the following March. Might be worth seeing what, if anything, is announced March/April next year, once the initial ‘high rollers’ box set sales are done with.

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I still hope for individual sets. But, however, when the big Early Years box set was announced also the plan of releasing individual smaller sets later was mentioned right from the start, which isn't the case this time.

fluxkit, obi and coffeetime like this.
  8. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Personally I'm waiting got some clarity on the individual breakout sets. I don't want to pay so much for something so big, and so insubstantial in terms of actual content.

9. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Doesn't mean it won't happen...... Give it time

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

This box is a different beast in terms of presentation compared with The Early Years. There are only a few elements of this box I feel they could package and sell individually and those are also probably the biggest draw for purchasers of the box. In this instance I think they are wise not to announce anything from a purely commercial perspective until the dust has settled on the box release, if individual components are to be sold later.

The upshot of that would be a certain amount of disgruntlement from those that felt the box was going to be their only chance to own those specific elements however and had bought it on that understanding.

JulesRules and fluxkit like this.
  11. Hollis Copeland

Hollis Copeland Forum Resident

superstar19 likes this.
  12. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Hollis Copeland likes this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

When you make silly definitive statements like "there's nothing wrong with the original AMLOR" as a justification for NOT releasing this new version you should expect that statement to be challenged.

14. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Just got back from doing the second episode of the podcast whilst on a lunchtime walk. Absolutely terrific and as worthwhile as the first. The idea of David sitting down with someone who can ask germane and intelligent questions of him is worth any number of 4 page magazine spreads which ask the same old questions (we all know the ones). As engaging and articulate as David is, I’m finding myself increasingly warming to Andy Jackson. In spite of the obvious risks to audience members, and in no way diminishing what happened, Andy’s account of how the Earl’s Court stage collapse was dealt with had me smiling - passers by must have wondered what on earth was going through my head, furrow browed with concentration and grinning at the same time.

ALso enjoyed the glimpses of unheard live audio in the background, WTTM most obviously. Between the highlights album, the YouTube clips and the podcast I’m being skilfully but willingly played by Camp Floyd ahead of the final release.

15. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That set sounds great... other than the mono mix. That sounds so terrible!

16. Muppet

Muppet Brain the size of a Planet.

Piper was released many years ago (for its 30th anniversary I think) on CD in mono.

17. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

My EXACT quote: "I understand what you mean by "dated", but really, what's wrong with that? AMLOR never ceases to be a very immersive album, and that sound always takes me back to Fall '87 -- my junior year of college -- which was a pretty good time in my life."

All I'm asserting is that a "dated" sound isn't necessarily bad. Nothing in there challenging the existence of the re-master. In fact, I'm looking forward to hearing the re-master, primarily because Nick's drums should be heard, but not for any other fault I currently find with the mix.

[moderator edit]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  18. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Well, if nothing else, there's one thing the new AMLOR remix already accomplished. I've never seen so many people professing their love for the original album :D

19. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

:D:D:D

Lost In The Flood and Buran1988 like this.
  20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I agree with this. I too was wondering if youtube's compression might be holding back the sound of the drums, but I downloaded the HDTracks version and the result is pretty much the same. I checked to make sure "night mode" was not on for either my player or receiver. While this isn't "heavily compressed" as the forum refers to it, it is just compressed enough to rob the music of some impact.

On the live Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Nick's drum intro should build up to a crescendo, but it all happens at the same volume.

On One Slip, the drums should have a pop, but they just reside in the background.

None of it sounds bad, but it doesn't sound particularly exciting either.

I'm still mostly excited about the visual elements of the box set. Delicate Sound of Thunder is looking pretty sweet in its new HD glory. Plus, I'd like to have nice complete Knebworth and Venice shows.

I also like the idea of surround mixes, even though I'm currently 2 channel only.

NunoBento, Runicen and Billy Infinity like this.
  21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Listening to One Slip now and I prefer what they've done to this as opposed to what Bowie's people did to Never Let Me Down.

22. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

And you don't have to agree with David Gilmour. This is all subjective.

David isn't preaching that this version is now the definitive one and the original should be disregarded.

I love the sound of the original, and I think it was the right move at the time. But this new version is pretty cool too.

23. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

The 80s production has kind of locked it in a time warp..... I like thr album, but i do understand why they wanted to "downgrade" it and take away some of the 80's whizz bang production techniques.

My only disappointment is they didn't get Nick to re-record the drums for Sorrow, and also Guy Pratt to re-record real bass guitar on it......... That drum machine and synth bass spoil that song for me, and in my mind the live versions run rings around the studio version for the exact reasons i mentioned above.

24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yep, I was expecting almost %100 joy expressed for a finally de eightyised AMLOR, not so it seems. Maybe it's an age thing or where one came in to the world of Floyd.

25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I don't find Momentary Lapse particularly 80s sounding. I mean, I realize that it is, but I think Radio KAOS sounds "more 80s". Oddly, neither of them is more 80s sounding than Chicago 17 which came out 3 years earlier. Yeesh, that thing is drenched in it. :D

petercl, Bill007, Max Florian and 6 others like this.