Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I think you have a point there. And you have to remember a lot of music lovers are "purists", people who think that originals shouldn't be messed with in any way whatsoever, that's a cardinal sin.

MikeManaic61, Deek57 and rontoon like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I am intrigued with the remix, but I wasn’t expecting it to be superior. The few remixes on this new compilation are noticeably different, but I don’t think they are an improvement, nor superior. So far, I prefer the original mix in all its 80’s glory.

RangerXT, pantofis, fluxkit and 7 others like this.
  3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I like the new mixes so far but am looking forward to getting the whole box and playing both versions back to back. Not long to go now.

fluxkit and PhoffiFozz like this.
  4. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying the new mixes of AMLOR - though I always loved the songs on the album, the released studio recordings never grabbed me the way the live versions did. The underplay of new Rick parts is great and lovely to hear. The only thing I don't like so far is the flown in live vocals on OOTA. They don't sit "right" and have a different core ambient sound than the studio music.

5. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

interesting that in the lastest pod cast OTTA from Atlanta 87 is played in the background

6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Being a mega Division Bell fan myself, I was expecting the remix to give AMLOR a more organic / DivisionBellist sound, if anything closer to the live performances from that tour. But as someone said here, careful what you wish for. I wasn't expecting David to cut and paste his live vocal from OTTA into the new mix and much less doing a bad job at it. Sorry guys, but the new OTTA just sounds poorly executed in every measure. That's not the kind of quality I'm used hear to in a Pink Floyd recording.

So far, the new remixes haven't surpassed the originals for me. But I do like the original album and always thought that half of it is Classic Floyd. Certainly "Sorrow" and "On The Turning Away" are up there with anything Floyd has ever done. And the remix of the latter doesn't do it justice.
    I'm still eagerly waiting for the rest of it to do a proper and fair review of the remix, though.

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

8. central616

central616 Forum Resident

Nearly 11 million certified sales worldwide show there is much love for this album outside.

9. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the full album as well. I can't image Signs of Life & A New Machine being too different, as the minimalism is key to the feel of those songs.

My favorite track is "Yet Another Movie". I'm hoping they keep the Roland bell patch and the Casablanca samples.

10. ries

ries Forum Resident

did they skip Venice? I heard bits of it at the beginning of podcast2 (about the barge being moved from Norway), but they dont mention it during the main podcast.

coffeetime likes this.
  11. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

nope only at the start Venice is mentioned

ries likes this.
  12. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

If you listen on YouTube David Gilmour interview about Astoria, and first podcast as well, you will listen bits of new remixes of those tracks.

realmdemagic likes this.
  13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I think the key shock for me was what you hit on with "not the kind of quality I'm used to hear(ing) in a Pink Floyd recording." If this was some cover or a random band on the web, nothing about the mix would really shock or grate.

Unfortunately, we're talking about a band so prone to perfectionism that people are trying to spot the joins and corrections in their live albums to figure out which shows were used to create Frankenstein takes. A fine approach, and it has its merits, but when that band puts out a mix that sounds like a shed rehearsal.. Yeah, people are going to act like a dog that just heard a high pitched whistle. :laugh:

phil.jp, Billy Infinity and NunoBento like this.
  14. I don't dislike this "Marooned Jam" -- but it seems pretty underwhelming, based on the two listens I've given it so far. It'll probably grown on me (and maybe a lot), but it hasn't wowed me yet, to put it mildly.

If anything, I'm (again) reminded how "nearly utterly-fantastic" The Endless River is, if this new "Marooned Jam" is among the better unreleased things they still had left in the vaults.

Still haven't pre-ordered. Gonna wait and see what the reviews are like over the next couple months, and maybe I might bite in the first 6 months of next year. Or maybe not. I'd be all-in for $200, but no way for the kinds of prices I've been generally seeing as this thread has unfolded. $250, maybe. Much more than that, and there's just not enough previously-unreleased material to temp me that much.

Though, and I've said this before, if there was 3 CD's of previously unreleased demos, I'd be sorely tempted to have pre-ordered it by now (even given my tepid reaction to "Marooned Jam").

15. PacificOceanBlue

I hear you. There seems to be some bloat on the surface and not enough substantive outtake material (and too much dvd content for my taste).

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  16. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

I agree re marooned jam being underwhelming but suspect the the proper version, like Comfortably Numb will be quite extended in the Box. At least that is my hope.

17. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I hadn't noticed, but now you mention it....

ries likes this.
  18. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The more i play the LTF DSOT remix, you know what the more i like it and like what they have done with it.

PhoffiFozz, jonnyslb and rontoon like this.
  19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

In episode 2, David appears to confirm that Delicate Sound of Thunder was originally edited in video, not finished on film.

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That's true. They don't want to hear it and they don't want anyone else to have the opportunity to be able to, either.

21. wilberforce55

wilberforce55 Forum Resident

The previews for next weeks podcast should make some interesting listening re Roger

22. PacificOceanBlue

I typically prefer original mixes, but generally enjoy hearing remixes. I have enjoyed the AMLOR remixes issued thus far as an interesting alternative, but I don’t think they are as good as the originals from’87. Something about the remixes sound unfinished, almost like they were sourced from the rough mixing/demo stage (which I know they were not). I hope the entire remixed album is issued outside of the big box because it will be an instant purchase.

23. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I had a feeling David was actually talking about Storm.

rontoon likes this.
  24. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Yeh he was talking about Storm

25. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

I really want to hear the audio side of the set. If anyone wants to sell me the individual DSOT, AMLOR remix, and Unreleased CDs, please DM me. I just can't see myself paying ~$400 for a set when I only want a handful of tracks, and the film side of the set will likely be put up on YT in a year or two anyway.

Bill007 and Rooster_Ties like this.