Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Jwag1

Jwag1 Forum Resident

Regarding OTTA I also don't hear any audience noise.

2. benroberts79

benroberts79 Forum Resident

For those questioning the vocal track on OTTA remix, my understanding is that is another studio take with background noise from the Astoria.

I’m sure they’ll be plenty of ongoing debate on this, but I can only say what I know!

3. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

I do remember seeing that image now from around the time the album came out and when it was being called a cash grab by some. A couple of the other album images are cropped so maybe they just pull them from any old website without paying much attention. The person responsible is unlikely to be a Floyd fan and probably doesn't know the difference anyway but yes, it's a big oversight to have an image mocking the band/album on their official page.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Lost In The Flood and Hattipper like this.
  4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

didn't hear it with my headphones, multiple attempts

realmdemagic likes this.
  5. Just Pushing Play

Just Pushing Play Well-Known Member

Can't say I hear it either with headphones, and I was kind of looking out for it. I hope Andy Jackson can shed some light soon.

6. Scepticus

Scepticus Forum Resident

Try putting them on your ears.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

maybe its the blue dress/black dress phenomenon revisited

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

One Week left ...

You guys are freaking me out on the whole Momentary Lapse thing .... stop it! :)

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's the same vocal for the 2019 OTTA mix as on DSOT, timed to fit. DG struggled to sing the original so he suggested lifting a vocal from the tour. It's a revisionist album so why not change everything he's not happy with?

St. Troy, phil.jp, drum_cas and 14 others like this.
  10. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

It seems weird that DG, the perfectionist he is, would suggest that a live vocal take with fixes and all is better than the studio one. But it is what it is I guess!

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Why would this be weird? Singing OTTA 200 times on tour would surely result in a better vocal at one point.

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The alternate live vocal take IS NOT better than the studio one.

13. Just Pushing Play

Just Pushing Play Well-Known Member

It's very weird to me. Taking a live vocal, and fitting it into a studio recording with all the compromise it entails, is odd and ultimately inferior practice.

Why not re-record the vocal properly in the studio? David's singing, unlike many other men his vintage, has remained largely evergreen and distinctly 'him' over the years.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'd assume that he wanted to vocal to be of time.

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I kinda wish they had just 5.1'd the original .. I never had a problem with it.
    As it is the main draw for me to get the box ... I am teetering on the brink of cancelling the order lol

Incredulous_Observer likes this.
  16. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Exactly. That's why the roar is there, as AJ couldn't phase it out completely. It's there in the original recording and therefore it's there on the AMLOR Remix. It's just that simple. This was surely a David's decision, but I think he made wrong call. There are many issues that can be discussed about AMLOR, but I don't think that the vocals for On The Turning Away was one of them.

There are a number of challenges that come up with using the live vocal take:
    1. You have extra noise which you need to phase out in post production (and sadly, AJ couldn't);
    2. You don't have the fidelity of the studio recording and therefore you lose nuance;
    3. You can clearly hear when the vocal track is turned off on Pro-Tools, which I find that in this case was done too abruptly. A longer and more subtle fade-in / fade-out would be preferable, in order to blend in with the synth drone in the back.

Having said that, although the use of the live vocal for OTTA was not the best decision, it's certainly not what will be a dealbreaker for the assessment of the AMLOR Remix.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Big Pasi, Frans T, Kim Olesen and 5 others like this.
  17. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

That's not a given - why go all the trouble to fix a live take than fix the studio one? From what people are saying, seems it's much more difficult.

As for DG recording the song in 2019 to be used in the remix, I think it's out of his range nowadays - at least that seemed to be the case back in 2006 (the recording from Venice), it strained his vocals too much.

18. Muppet

Muppet Brain the size of a Planet.

The only way we can know for sure what’s been done with OTTA’s vocals is for someone IE: David or Andy, to actually tell us and the reasons why it was done. Speculation here is off the charts. I personally cannot hear any crowd. However I can hear a string quartet playing at the very end of Eclipse on DSOTM so it’s not my ears!

St. Troy and Max Florian like this.
  19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

sorry if its already posted, can someone give timings of the OTTA crowd sounds so I can better narrow down my listening?

20. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I like it. Full judgement reserved until I can play the CD version vs. the original version. On the YouTube version I cannot convince myself I can hear crowd noise, even with decent headphones cranked up listening for it.

21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

That the 2019 OTTA vocal is the same as that on DSOT (as rontoon says) is not speculation — you can easily hear it for yourself.

Anyway, on the 2019 mix I hear a high-pitched sound right as Gilmour sings the second syllable of turning, which could be an odd harmonic effect … or a loud whistle from the audience that wasn't completely eliminated in the mix (you can hear the same whistle at that point in the DSOT version of the track).

22. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I don't hear any crowd noise whatsoever. This noise problem applies to only some of us. Maybe it's there, maybe it isn't. You can't say that the Pink Floyd management should have phased it out if they don't hear it.

realmdemagic, Max Florian and Muppet like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It's the first verse where everything is quiet and only the keyboards/synths are playing. It's really just nanoseconds of audience noise in the back while Gilmour finished singing the last word of a line.

24. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Of course they heard it. They heard it and tried their best to phase it out. But the noise is there on the original recording and there's so much you can do on ProTools.

25. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Maybe I've got cloth ears, but I really can't hear anything wrong with the original studio vocal for OTTA... Whether or not he struggled in getting that take, the original performance is solid. :shrug: