Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Huh, I really hear the OTTA crowd noise, and can't unhear it. Interesting thought that it might be houseboat noise, but even so, it's an odd artifact. Then again, I wonder if all the versions out there so far are identical, given how many folks here don't hear it at all!

NunoBento, BeatleJWOL and Karmageddon like this.
  2. Doctorbox4

Doctorbox4 Forum Resident

Whether or not you can hear the crowd noise during OTTA 2019 may depend on your age and the fact that you start to lose the higher frequencies. This would possibly explain why some do and some don't hear it.

3. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Just listened to OTTA from DSOT vinyl. The opening vocal is identical to OTTA 2019. It’s more than obvious it was taken from DSOT. The question is WHY?

4. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

For me, I think David sings really well on this version! Maybe he wasn't happy with the studio version.

5. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

My theory is that the over the top soupy reverb/echo of the original take on MLOR was actually part of the take itself (it's on the tape with the vocal), whereas the live vocal was isolated in the live recording and the reverb added in real time... which allowed them to lift the unaffected vocal and dial back the reverb/echo for the intro of this 2019 mix. It's honestly the only technical reason I can think of, because that MLOR take is perfectly fine from a vocal delivery aspect... and to swap it for a live take that has noise behind it is a weird choice for sure. If this is indeed the case, it makes me wonder if there weren't YYZ rehearsal takes they could have used instead?

Only other thing I can think is Gilmour just straight up preferred this live vocal performance over the MLOR session take he did months before and they put it in and decided to go with it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  6. Jwag1

Jwag1 Forum Resident

As far as age, I'm 28. I've used 3 different headphones. Don't hear it myself and I've been told I have fantastic hearing. But that doesn't really prove anything.

St. Troy and Muppet like this.
  7. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

If I had to bet, this is exactly what happened.

Cenobyte and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Is it possible the live version of OTTA was actually a studio overdub and therefore used for the new mix? I remember always reading that DSOT was essentially recorded without an audience and lots of overdubs. If that's the case, which audio source did they use for the new mix? The original live tapes or the masters with the overdubs?

9. Cenobyte

Honestly, don't listen for "crowd noise" listen for some mild static rise as he's hitting the word "away" in the first line of lyrics... static rises behind the vocal then it suddenly cuts as soon as he finishes "away" and the reverb takes over... you can also hear it in the second line, but it's less pronounced after that as the crowd is settling down. It's kind of easy to miss tbh... I'm 51 and I hear it just fine ;)

10. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

But after all is said and done - does it really matter? No one will talk about it in couple weeks time. Let's move on...

11. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Gilmour discussed this in the recent podcast. He talks about guitar lines being lifted from other shows but said vocals had not been re done in the studio IIRC.

JulesRules and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm so old I can't hear or see it!

13. Cenobyte

Gilmour has said they did no studio overdubs for these live shows, they borrowed takes from other recorded shows on the same tour and inserted bits of better solo takes and vocals etc, but that was about it.

St. Troy likes this.
  14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

FYI I previously answered this and it wasn't stated as a theory.

BeatleJWOL, superstar19 and NunoBento like this.
  15. Cenobyte

Guess I'll dig through the thread to find it over the weekend, wouldn't mind knowing the facts myself.

ARK likes this.
  16. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

So my question now is, with the new mix did they revert back to using the original tapes with no overdubs (lifts from other shows) or did they use the masters with the overdubs?

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

My post from earlier today.

ARK, BeatleJWOL, NunoBento and 2 others like this.
  18. Cenobyte

Awesome thanks... so one of my two theories (the less technical one) were on the nose :D

ARK and rontoon like this.
  19. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

I've listen the SBD from 21st August where they used OtTA performance for DSoT, and it's exactly the same performance, it wasn't overdub! What it was overdub was Rick Wright singing in Time and Rachel Fury harmony in CN which was replaced by Sam Brown in studio (Original DSoT mix). If you listen the podcast 2, when Time is playing background if you pay attention it's a different singing from Rick, the version they used in 2019 mix was Live recorded wth some corrections, but the original DSoT isn't from any day in Nassau Coliseum, it was overdub accordingly with Buford Jones, the engineer that mix DSoT and was in charge on that Tour.

20. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Personally I have no problem at all with some vocals being airlifted in along with some of Rick's takes, too bad they didn't grab the YAM, Sorrow and OTTA solos as well :) Seriously if David didn't like how he sang something on the album, this is the perfect time and place to fix it. You sing something that many times, you probably figure out exactly how you want it. I'm still loving the 3 2019 mixes from the Highlights disk and very much looking forward to the entire album.

Getting back the Box itself, is anyone who has it able to tell us if Marooned Jam and CN were indeed edited down only for the Highlights disk?

BeatleJWOL and jonnyslb like this.
  21. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

So I listened to the highlights CD and I realized that I absolutely love Gilmour-led Floyd, period. The atmosphere is fantastically nostalgic, the sound is fantastic, and the tunes are GOOD. I'd take Lost for Words over Wish You Were Here and One Slip over Run Like Hell any day sorry. As for the remixes, etc. - without going into much detail - I like what they did. I think AMLOR is great as it is, 80's and all, but the reimagined version (judging by the 3 tracks) will be a great alternative.

I had the same feeling listening to TER for the first time - I had no expectattions whatsoever and was extremely pleasantly surprised. Ok, the lyrics to LTW could be better, but this doesn't bother me, I love the song, I love the album, I listen to it quite a lot.

Also, re: the 'bits & pieces' character of TER: remember Bring the Boys Back Home, Stop, The Show Must Go On or Outside the Wall? A similar approach, but worse music (and the 'part of a narrative' argument does not fully convince me, these are just uninteresting musical bits).

An argument I never understood is that Waters-lead Floyd in the late 80's would have been somehow different stylistically than AMLOR. I mean, why? If "Radio KAOS" is anything to go by (and it should be), the music would have been similar, but with less interesting tunes. I don't mind KAOS, actually, but AMLOR is a much better album.

This said, the box is too expensive and I would like them to focus more on CDs ;)

(I do prefer Gilmour's music over Waters', but I do like much of Roger's stuff too, his latest album being actually better than David's IMO.)

22. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

I just want to say that there are somepeople who already has the box set, when they change the day of the released to 13th of December, I think this situation it was badly conducted by who were distribuing the box set, or they keept everything hidden until 13th of December, or they keept the 29th of November, and delivered what they could, I mean until this point doesn't make sense keeping, at least the digital content unreleased to the public, since some people already has the box set. Nothing against those people, some of them are been great telling the others what to expect in this box set, but it was pretty unfair. Just my opinion! Sorry everybody

coffeetime likes this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Ok I hear it now, I’m not going to lose any sleep over that fragment. I just wish they properly credited me with backup vox, I know that’s me

Cenobyte, NunoBento, rontoon and 5 others like this.
  24. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

I listened to OTTA (a vinyl rip on lousy headphones - no joke, sometimes this approach does make sense!) and I DO hear 'crowd noise'. Only it's more like the sound from the stage bleeding into David's mic, with keyboards being more prominent than the crowd. It's extremelly brief (like, really, don't expect anything longer than milliseconds), but it's there.

25. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I just gotta say that the guitar solo on High Hopes (Early Version) is absolutely stunning!