Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

There's Richard's Theme in the new box!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I didn't care much for what Edgar did musically with the revisionism, but part of the reason for all that ostensibly was to get some of the music back in print when he went independent with his own web-based distribution after parting ways with Virgin Records.

3. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

That's a shame. TDB 5.1 is there, so it would have been really cool to have a 5.1 "original" AMLoR. It would have been fun to try and take the channels from both 5.1 mixes and create a hybrid mix. Oh well.

4. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

Just to be clear, folks: like The Early Years box, which had some original commercial album material in high res, it didn’t include all albums in a high resolution format. Neither that box nor The Later Years are intended to be complete documents of the commercial releases from their respective periods. You can like that decision or not, of course, but just to be clear. There wouldn’t be an Endless River in the Later Years box, had Brian Emes not made a film based on the music, and which is included, for example. It makes sense to include the high res stereo and surround AMLoR, since they’d have done their work in the resolution. But they’re just providing Division Bell in surround because it was previously only available in the 20th anniversary box. That said, it would have been nice to have had the high res stereo mix, since they were including the surround.

5. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Oh yeah! I forgot! Quadrilogy complete then :D

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Glad to hear it. Most of the time these titles are given to undeveloped pieces or jams that I could do without, hence my remark. But I haven't heard them yet, so I really shouldn't judge beforehand...

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Generally I still expect hi-res audio releases of all PF studio albums in the (near) future. May it be Blu-ray Audio or digital only.

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have no plans on buying this but enjoyed the review immensely. I really like the post Waters Floyd though.

9. Tiago Fernandes

Tiago Fernandes Forum Resident

Can't agree on the part that you say that there isn't a market for the movie in the HD market. Hell, maybe it might be what it takes for these fans you are talking about to buy a BD player, at least. DVD should have been buried by now. BD players are dirt cheap. No excuses by now.

kanakaris likes this.
  10. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Again, I never said that. I implied the market would be very small. Not nonexistent. There's a difference. I agree that DVD should be dead (should have been killed at least 10 years ago). They should have pulled the same thing they did when DVD was first brought out when they killed VHS. They didn't though, so now the market suffers for it. I want The Wall movie on blu-ray, but I'm not remotely surprised it hasn't been released. There are far more popular movies out there that still haven't been released on blu-ray in the US. The big focus is on new movies because they sell better. Thankfully we have companies like Criterion and Scream Factory who take the time and care with cult movies. It'd be cool if Criterion picked up The Wall, but I'd never count on it.

St. Troy and Tiago Fernandes like this.
  11. John Kelman

Many thanks for taking the time to read it...and for the kind words!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Ouch,so that does it for me .I will wait a while and buy a used copy somewhere.I would have paid the original 400 dollars JUST for the 5.1 of AMLOR and the rest would have been a bonus.Oh well.

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I feel guilty for posting such few words after such a lengthy review. I loved reading about all the history which adds context to the material. I lived through it all at the time and it brings back great memories. It was a well written review for "normal people". A few folks who are more hardcore fans are eager to learn about some of the finer details so I guess its gonna take one of them (or me) to post a review with those kind of details. We just need to get our hands on this box first. ;)

14. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Perhaps this is true for your country. In Russia, the market for these small plastic circles (cd, dvd, blu-ray) is sharply decreasing - only a small part of the population buys them, mainly collectors of "outgoing nature." Most prefer on-line services, HD streaming media, as the Internet is easily accessible absolutely everywhere - in metro, buses, on the street. The only purchases on physical media refer to vinyl records and most stores have already ceased to exist. So it doesn 't matter what to buy - a DVD player or a BD player

LivingForever likes this.
  15. Buran1988

Buran1988 Forum Resident

Third part of the podcast available on Spotify.

16. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

The statues on The Division Bell were based on the statues in Easter Island, accordingly with Aubrey Powell.

mc9, John Kelman and NunoBento like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Your review makes me very glad that I have this on order! Much like your recent Gentle Giant review, I found it a very enjoyable read. Thanks for putting in so much effort on it!

John Kelman likes this.
  18. John Kelman

Thanks for the kind words. I know it’s work (and hard work, especially these mega box sets), and i appreciate your recognizing it as suchl that said, I truly enjoy doing it so much that it somehow doesn’t feel like work, even though I’m usually shattered by thr time I’m done!

peterzac, coffeetime and Juggsnelson like this.
  19. John Kelman

Yes...it’s in the documentary disc. The two faces were meant to intimate a third face, in fact, that I seem to recall was meant to be Syd Barrett..

Buran1988 likes this.
  20. John Kelman

Well, thanks, first and foremost, much appreciated. I would say part of the reason for this being a more generalist piece? First, when it comes to that era of Floyd I AM a generalist, as compared to the recent Gentle Giant box review, for whom I was a much bigger and long-standing fan, so knew/know much more about them. Second, that Giant box came with almost 240:pages of very detailed historical information to,draw upon, whereas neither the Early nor Later Years box sets have come with much in the way of written conten (one of BMG beefs with them, to be honest) - lots of great imagery, for sure, but still...I know there are plenty of books about Floyd, but still, they could’ve hired a great writer, like David Fricke, to write about this final act in Floyd’s career, from a retrospective perspective.

Meanwhile, I’ve no idea why you’d apologize for not writing at greater length. When I write, I write as much as I think needs to be written...by my reckoning, no more, no less. I figure the same would apply to others, like your good self.

peterzac, rontoon and Juggsnelson like this.
  21. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

13 1/4" x 13 1/4"

3 1/8" thick

And heavy... with LOTS of wonderful material included.

andrewskyDE and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  22. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

This review is really well done: a fantastic in depth read of what is clearly your wonderful close-listening and viewing. I look forward to re-reading it again when my set arrives (I hope this week, as I’m looking forward to it even more now!). Thanks again for all your work on this and sharing it here.

John Kelman likes this.
  23. John Kelman

Thanks so much, Steve. As with everyone who has, I appreciate your taking the time to read it and to write with such kind words. Much appreciated ... all I can repeat s: I love doing this, and I love doing it this way. So thanks again!

SteveFff likes this.
  24. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

A great review, thank you. Just wondering, are the concert screen films presented in 4:3, 16:9 aspect ratio or in the circular screen like they were projected?

25. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident