Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

What I find odd about them not advertising Roger's stuff on the page is that you can buy Amused To Death shirts via their store. So they'll sell his shirts, but not advertise Roger's releases even when they have writing credits on them? They'll get royalties from the Us+Them release, right? So selling shirts for an album they had nothing to do with is fine, but not a concert film where they have writing credits? I'm sure there is so much more to it than this, but as a fan this seems so weird to me. Then again, whomever they have running the online store hasn't figured out that the cover for TER they've used is a parody (and a rather mean one in my opinion). Maybe Dave and Nick have no clue that they sell Roger's shirts.

2. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Me too. I don't see it. Even more puzzling!

3. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

And what is the cause of further deterioration? They were able to get together during The Wall Tour and before that like things were looking up. Oh well, very sad to say the least.

4. ries

ries Forum Resident

can we either join the two threads since no one seems to make the distinction about the subject anymore, or clean up this thread with just posts about the boxset? thanks.

StormCloud, Muppet and rontoon like this.
  5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

6. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Be still my beating heart! Given that the footage is locked to standard definition (happy to be corrected), this looks spectacular! To think it was 30 years ago I had my Floyd awakening watching this. Is it the weekend yet? Hurry up stupid weekend!

rontoon, NunoBento and ponkine like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I think maybe it's just the political thing in the Us+Them film that itself hinders being advertised on the PF website.

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Do tell!

9. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Yes, do tell.
    I don't see anything as a mean parody...what are the rest of us missing ?

10. Tiago Fernandes

Tiago Fernandes Forum Resident

Dollar bills in the clouds.

11. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

No...probably a contractual issue. Remember: they’d have to get Waters to agree and I doubt he’d agree to inc
    My bad! Of course you are correct...I’ll go in and fix the detailed track listing. Sorry about that!

JulesRules likes this.
  12. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Yes, insinuating that the album is a cash grab.

13. Tiago Fernandes

14. John Kelman

The comment about the weather is, indeed, in the box. Can’t recall about CD, but def on Blu Ray

OAI likes this.
  15. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

St. Troy and Freddie Barry like this.
  16. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

Considering the blu-ray issues, I'd be happy they have included a DVD with the 5.1 mixes. I hope this time the BDs are ok.

As for the artwork, I think it's beautiful, regardless the use of digital technology or not.

coffeetime likes this.
  17. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Tiago Fernandes likes this.
  18. MechanicalAnimal6

not impressed at all with how the box set looks on the inside. looks like a big mess with all the papers and the way they have the 3 cd set looking like that.
    and then all the dvd's and blu rays in a cardboard cheap case like that. i'd hope like heck that they have the discs in those nice thin plastic sheets to protect
    the discs before throwing them in the cheap cardboard cases.

I don't like the looks of the box at all really. Makes me not want to even buy it based on how it looks and how it's set up like that.
    It's as if not much thought or care was put into this one and just decided "hey let's just throw everything in a big pile of a mess.

Perhaps they should get smart and sell just the cd's and dvd's separately and spare us all that useless junk they are including in it, thus making
    it far more expensive.....too expensive for what little we're getting.

That's just my $0.02 though. If everyone else loves it and all that, then that's perfectly fine as well. I hope whomever is buying this, enjoys it.

19. MechanicalAnimal6

i guess i don't see the exact photo. i just went to their store and clicked on the products for The Endless River and don't see dollar bills in any clouds....
    perhaps next time you bring up something for us to look at, actually show what it is you're talking about, lol

not trying to be rude, so apologies if it comes across that way.

:)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  20. John Kelman

The DVDs and Blu Rays are in thin plastic sleeves inside the glossy gatefolds, so not sure what the problem is. They’re not cheap, and I was pleased to see they included those plastic sleeves.
    Also, it’s 5 CDs, not 3,

as for organization? Is very easy to take the material out and put it back together. I found it no problem at all. Hardly, as you suggest, “let’s just throw everything in.” It’s actually very clean. Opening the box:

1. Access to the tour programs and lyric book, all wrapped together so unless you want to look,at them individually, they all come out as one piece.
    2. Then you have the 60 page hardcover photo book, and the large envelope with the two 7” singles, posters, etc.
    3. Below that, to the left, in a foam insert, you have the thin hardcover book with the five CDs and all the credits for the box
    4. To the right, you have separate sections for the five DVDs and six Blu Rays, all of which are gatefold sleeves with info and the discs stored in plastic sleeves within the gatefold.

There’s a ribbon that you place over the bottom layer, so you can easily get the hardcover photo book and envelope in and out. The only thing I found a bit funky were the three cardboard inserts, on three sides of the programme package, which you have to take out and put back each time you want access to what’s below. But, truly, it’s a minor quibble, at least IMO.

So I’d say the organization and packaging of the box is perfectly fine. We may disagree, but with my hands on the box I thought I’d post my experience wrt how easy it was to get at everything.

cheers!
    John

21. Tiago Fernandes

I did miss it :hide:

Incredulous_Observer likes this.
  22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It already has. We can only hope that things change (get better).

Cenobyte likes this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, it is. John's a bit confused. The 88 film is Delicate Sound of Thunder and it is included in the box.

24. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

So here’s a question I don’t think I’ve seen yet:

Does the rehearsal of Lost for Words come with the deluxe set in any format other than the vinyl b-side? I thought I saw it implied up thread that the sampler was somehow downloadable to folks who bought the deluxe set, which would imply LfW could be listened to without a turntable. Any truth to that?

I still don’t understand the logic, in a set this expensive, of releasing select songs on vinyl only. What is the point of keeping some songs unplayable by a vast majority of fans and customers? The live Arnold Layne single remains unplayable for anyone without a turntable—it’s just not quite as galling, since there’s already the live versions Gilmour released as a single.

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

You mean the Meddle and OBC remixes on TEY or Animals Deluxe?