Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. StormCloud

StormCloud They are not artists! (shouts the 'genie')

I believe that Peter Harold (the writer of the post on the Neptune Forum) was trying to go deeper in relation to the whereabouts of RW during the 80’s. On my part, i found the article very detailed and with a lots of insights (that for sure i take with a grain of salt) about the personal life of this enigmatic and reserved musician.

2. StormCloud

Friends, this expectation is killing me, I find myself quite honestly in a moment where I am only able to focus my thoughts on Pink Floyd, The Later Years and this forum. Are any of you going through the same thing? :)

OAI, mc9, hiterss and 3 others like this.
  3. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Plus I find it odd, that literally no one had talked about this “connection” in the media or online - for better or worse.

Truly bizarre.

4. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

price drop on Amazon uk Its been reduced by £1.50 :sigh:

5. Jack

Jack Senior Member

No.

6. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

I'm looking forward to it the way I always do on any PF release, of course the repeating of content I already own and the price point on this particular release are a little bit of a let down but I think there's enough cool stuff in there to keep me happy... I mean it took decades for PF to finally get on some kind of decently regular release of fresh content schedule, so I'm a happy Floyd fan overall and I can't wait until Friday!

On a side note this whole Later Years product has brought me back to the morning of September 7th 1987, pulling myself out of bed and making my way downtown where all the major record stores were, and waiting outside for them to open so I could grab my copy of MLOR (I did the same thing with Radio K.A.O.S. a couple months earlier)... oddly a few of those main stores didn't actually have it in stock yet as they opened, they got it later in the day, but one smaller store did have it, so I snagged it and went home to listen to it! I may have been the first guy in Toronto to buy a copy of MLOR, hah!

It also takes me back (pun intended) to earlier in the summer of '87 when I had lined up to get my tickets (remember when that was a thing?!) for the Toronto shows ... I ended up seeing 2 of the first 3 shows in Toronto in late September (complete with Echoes) and then the return show the following year... so 3 in total! These shows were a dream come true as I never thought it would happen and it was cool to see the show evolve over time between gigs. Also knowing PF were in Toronto for rehearsals before the tour started made me very happy. :)

And then there's the whole DB album and shows thing... more good times.

Anyway this collection has brought me back to my early PF/Barrett love days, so I'm stoked... nostalgia etc! :D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  7. No problem! I happened to be on Reddit one Saturday afternoon, and someone posted in the Floyd subreddit that Guy Pratt was on-line 'right now' (back then) taking questions, not there, but in a 'bass' subreddit (where probably few people there would have known him by name).

So I quickly started asking questions, literally everything I could think of - bam, bam, bam - and he took questions off and on for a couple hours (almost as many from me, as from everyone else combined). I'm sure I could have come up with *better* questions if I'd any time to think about it first, but it all came out of nowhere and suddenly I was off to the races trying to think of stuff.

Here's the entire thread, FWIW. (Sorry if I couldn't think of any better questions.)

Guy Pratt here.. Ask me anything, but nothing that requires a really long answer please! Will be replying form 7pm UK time.. : Bass

8. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Obviously what they are saying isn't entirely true. Peace Be With you should have been included for starters.

tommyball likes this.
  9. StormCloud

jajaja :righton:

Max Florian likes this.
  10. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Yes but they do say that the decision to include or not include material is up to the band. So in a way they addressed its omission which corresponds with the info that was posted a while back about DG/NM not wanting to release it. Believe me, I'm bummed it's not on there and overall this set needs more rarities! However, I am looking forward to diving into this box when I receive it!

StormCloud likes this.
  11. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

The other thing I find extremely odd is The Big Spliff not coming out in it's entirety when it was originally meant to be released. Why is that being held back? The decision making process by the band just seems very odd on this box set.

12. Buran1988

Buran1988 Forum Resident

Of course she didn't save anything:) But I think that the Franka ambassadorship was acknowledged somewhere back in the 80s, maybe in the above mentioned Schauffner's book. I am quite sure I knew it before the dailymail stuff.

rontoon and StormCloud like this.
  13. StormCloud

Fantastic memories, quite similar to those I have of 87', with the exception of the purchase of tickets for the shows and the fortune you had of being able to watch "Echoes" live. At that time, it was not very usual for Latin America (and Colombia in particular) to be even remotely considered as a proper market for any touring band of world-wide relevance.

Thankfully, life has given me the opportunity to see Gilmour live twice, Waters four times, and Mason once; and also the chance to visit the The Pink Floyd Exhibition: Their Mortal Remains!! :agree:

petercl and Cenobyte like this.
  14. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

not as odd as the endless delays of releasing Pulse on DVD that had so many delays prior to its release

15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I don't think it was ever intended to be released. It was something that Andy was inspired to throw together and he presented it to the band. Never got further than that for a few decades.

16. StormCloud

Don't know if this has been already shared...

In this video, David Gilmour discusses the May 10, 2007 performance of "Arnold Layne" at The Barbican in London, for The Madcap's Last Laugh, a tribute show for Syd Barrett organized by Joe Boyd.

17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Just in case this hasn't been posted yet: yes, there will be a download of the audio portion of the box set:

The Later Years (Remastered)

Seems to be missing Knebworth and "Lost for Words (Tour Rehearsal)," though.

JeffMo, Diego Lucas, obi and 11 others like this.
  18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

This i will buy!

obi likes this.
  19. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Yeah I feel that, would have been frustrating for sure in those days! Fortunately the 90's were good years for music fans in Latin America as you finally started to get major tours down there, which led to pretty regular stops these days! :)

hiterss likes this.
  20. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

I agree with what you're saying, I just wanted to point out that the Stockholm show from TEY is indeed a soundboard recording, but whoever was mixing must have been asleep at the board. Still relevant for versions of songs that were played and never duplicated elsewhere.

21. StormCloud

A bit of unboxing of The Later Years (taken from Head Records):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

St. Troy and StormCloud like this.
  23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Wow! Wasn't expecting to see a download for the set so soon. Might bite for the hi-res stereo files for my new hi=res capable DAP after hearing how the CD rips sound on it. Great way for those only wanting the new AMLOR mix to get hold of it though (depending on the price tag...)

24. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

David didn't play at that show. If he had I doubt it would have been issued.

St. Troy likes this.
  25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Actually it wasn’t a soundboard but 4 carefully placed mics. But placed on the stage so it didn’t pick up the small PA system that was the only source of vocals.