Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Very cool info, thanks! Just took another listen and the stereo effect is nice as well, especially on Nick's drums.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Indeed. Man if the vocals had been there it would have been THE ultimate Pink Floyd live document.

obi, drum_cas, croquetlawns and 5 others like this.
  3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm curious to see if the guys who shot the footage will be credited in the box.

4. StormCloud

StormCloud They are not artists! (shouts the 'genie')

That would be most appropriate. Let's wait and see what those who already have the box set can tell us about it.

5. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

Argh. Let’s just call it what it is:I have chronic fatigue syndrome and, after spending the better part of two weeks writing up the Gentle Giant and Pink Floyd boxes back to back, I am really not well. So of course you are right...and I’m sorry, of course (and embarrassed!). Yes, I am just that bone-tired exhausted (and also am just out of a six-day migraine that I worked through to get the Floyd done..not looking for sympathy, just saying, I really burned myself out doing these two sets, so other than a “best of” list, I’m done writing until the new year - though I’ve started listing, of course).

So big apologies for any and all of these kinds of gaffs...it really is what it is, I’m afraid. And my main focus is ensuring the articles are as good as possible (now with some help)...posts? Less so.

Cheers! (He says, red-faced with embarrassment)....:(:faint:
    J

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    St. Troy, JulesRules and coffeetime like this.
  6. Tom Hinde

Tom Hinde Forum Resident

Money from Delicate Sound of Thunder CD has been cut even more than on the original, which is a bit disappointing. But sounds very good.

7. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

So just finished listening to the High res MLOR remix, and it's still pretty dark which is good. The mix itself is a little off, very bass heavy with some hollow effects and hollow vocals that make it hard to crank without the bass blowing things up. Sorrow made my house rattle with bass while mid and trebles were drowned out. I de clipped the high res version but it was not clipped to badly which was good.

Its needs a slight EQ adjustment, lower the bass a bit and balance out the hollowness of it.

The actual new mix is good though it does sound more organic.

So I dont hate it

8. Tom Hinde

Tom Hinde Forum Resident

Unfortunately Rick's Theme is just an extended/different take of Untitled from the deluxe version of The Endless River (). And to confirm, the Nervana version is different from TER.

9. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Lol a post I made earlier was deleted because it had a bootleg link?

Whoever deleted must have slipped up, as the only link I quoted was the one from HiResAudio (which is a legit site, no?) regarding the upcoming digital download, to be released along with the box.

St. Troy likes this.
  10. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Mine was deleted too. Yes, it was a link to a legitimate high-resolution download to be released on the 13th.

St. Troy and xXFloydianXx like this.
  11. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Listening to the CDs at work, can't wait to play the 5.1 on the weekend.

coffeetime, drum_cas and rontoon like this.
  12. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

The Delicate sound of thunder remix is pretty good, was a tad clipped and also needs a slight reduction in bass. One cool thing is you can change the track order so the first half is AMLOR in its complete form and the second half is the classic songs. I did that on my high res files and it makes for a more interesting show.

13. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

@plextor, please keep these sound-related reviews coming.

14. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

So far I really like "Yet Another Movie" and "Terminal Frost" on the remix. Both sound great!

15. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

I thought I answered (sorry, if not!): Lost for Words and the Arnold Layne from the 2007 Syd Barrett tribute that are the a-sides of the 7" singles are also found on the blu rays; in the case of the former, the fifth blu ray, in the case of the latter, you get both rehearsal and performance on the sixth blu ray.

So, with no disrespect intended, there's no logic to understand. I don't have a turntable, but have listened to and watched both tracks (having ripped the audio from the Blu Rays). So I think it's all good, no? And even if you only have a DVD player, you can find the tracks on DVDs 4 and 5, respectively.

coffeetime likes this.
  16. StormCloud

I just listened to the AMLoR remix and had the same impression as you: irregular EQ with somewhat extreme low frequencies, most likely due to a mastering issue or simply by an artistic decision made by DG and AJ.

Now, my first thoughts about remix (on an album I've always loved): Although the change is not that radical, the album sounds very fluid and aesthetically much more in line with TDB and the classic sound of Pink Floyd. The revelation for me is "The Dogs of War", a song I never really liked, which now sounds much better with a warm mix, less dry than the original. "Yet Another Movie" also sound fantastic with a less bombastic sound that doesn't lose the edge and intriguing sound of the original version. "Terminal Frost" with new rhythmic nuances that reveal a new dimension of the song, etc.

In summary, this new version pleased me a lot, and in the same way as I usually do with the original edition, this remix will surely be part of my listening habits from now on.

Congratulations to all the PF team for such an amazing achievement. I'm sure most fans will be really happy with The Later Years! :wave:

17. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

I am still waiting on my box to arrive, but now at this point I am going to hold off and make it a Xmas present. Gives me more time to watch the old DSOT video to prepare for whatever will be different.

18. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

No prob, their is some good sound within these mixes but so far low end bass is over powering a lot of the remixing they did, the audio is also slightly clipped, so de clipping and reducing some of the very lower end bass and lifting the highs slightly have produced some great results. I'll have to keep playing around to get it right but that is the general gist of it, the low end bass below 80hz is destroying my house at this point on the un altered version and masking the new instruments they have added. I have to get it right without nuking the warm smooth bass in the new mix that is very nice

StormCloud likes this.
  19. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Yea I always hated Dogs of war but this new mix it plays much better and is rather enjoyable, the new mix did not make it lighter or fluffy which is good it just needs some care int he EQ department to fix it

Mrmojo, vikerii and StormCloud like this.
  20. ihersz

ihersz Well-Known Member

guys, I couldn't help myself and decided to get my "early copy" (amazon still says it will come friday.....)

delicate sound of thunder (audio) is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I hadn’t realized that the tracks were on Blu-Ray. Fair enough. But if I’m honest, I still think any tracks that are released in a stereo, audio-only format shouldn’t be limited to vinyl. Particularly when one of the tracks is released on CD and digital download elsewhere, but not as part of the big expensive set. That’s what I mean about the logic, or lack there of. It’s not a dealbreaker, but I think it’s a silly choice.

JulesRules and croquetlawns like this.
  22. StormCloud

It's a miracle what they have done with "Dogs of War"... although it's not a remarkable composition by any measure, the simple fact that this remixed version doesn't lead me to skip the song is quite frankly a revelation.

23. StormCloud

I loved "Rick's Theme" and its simplicity. "Blues One" conjures up a few chords by Rick Wright on 'Wet Dream'. "David's Blues" takes me back to the glorious DG album of the 70s. "Nervana" is a much more developed and rounded version from the one we had the chance to listen to on TER.

It is pretty clear that during the TDB sessions this band was really inspired and with enough material to produce another album some years later.

St. Troy and croquetlawns like this.
  24. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Ha ha yea I always skip dogs of war, the original had such an awkward beat to it that it ruined the flow of the album, now it properly fits right in.

StormCloud likes this.
  25. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Delicate Sound of Thunder is amazing now.

I've been listening to the original CDs in my car the last week or so and it has such an odd sound. It's so clean and sterile, and the crowd sounds like they're too far away.

The new remix fixes all of the issues I had with the original, and having the full set is a real treat. Welcome to the Machine is especially fantastic.

I've listened to hundreds of bootlegs over the years and I feel like this version of DSoT really gives you that same experience of listening to a full concert.