Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Raf

Raf Senior Member

No Knebworth.

2. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

So which box is your first priority when you can afford one?

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Good question. Maybe the missing Immersion box set.^^

4. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Where to even start...

The reproduction programmes are fantastic, extremely high quality in terms of the card/paper and the photos. They feel as though someone bought pristine copies back in the day and have kept them vacuum packed & sealed until the present day. Getting them back in the obi that binds them and the lyric book is tricky but do-able.

Started off the listening with the surround mixes BluRay, AMLOR 2019 in DTS-HD MA 5.1. At the risk of exhausting the available hyperboles, quite stunning! Another active yet tasteful mix from Andy Jackson; anyone familiar with TDB or RTL in surround will know what to expect. The Dogs Of War sounds cavernous and menacing in 5.1.

Will have to take Mrs Coffeetime to vote in a short while, plan on checking out some of the video material when I get back. Will also get the ephemera envelope opened up as well.

My high expectations of the set are easily being met at the moment. This really is quite something.

5. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

There hasn't been any 'hate', just a questioning of his particular artictic visions without Storm around. A critical appraisal and hate are two very different things.

I'm only judging the images in front of me and his previous associations with Pink Floyd art don't give him a free pass when I'm looking at these new offerings.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Correct. My bad.

7. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Well I mean saying that you "don't think Po 'gets' any of it" seems like a bit of a dis to me, but what do I know... everyone's entitled to their opinions of course, just wanted to state mine :D Also, I don't think you've been the only guy to mention it, though I ain't keeping track at all, so while I quoted you I've seen it come up a few times and I think his track record is pretty solid! Wasn't singling you out per-say.

8. Incredulous_Observer

I have no issue whatsoever with a polite difference of opinion and completely respect yours.

Derek Slazenger and Cenobyte like this.
  9. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

10. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

I couldn't wait and downloaded my copy last night...come to find out this morning that it'll be on Spotify tomorrow anyway. :rolleyes:

My quick 2 cents: The standouts on the AMLOR remix are definitely Dogs of War, Yet Another Movie and Terminal Frost. It may take me a bit to get more used to them, but they sure are "updated". The unreleased jams: They are pretty nice. They would've given TER an extra star in its rating if they had been included with it back in 2014.

11. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

All I really need from this era are upgraded Blu Rays with good sound, and the Momentary Lapse Of Reason remix. I feel like Floyd went out of their way to make this a redundant box set to justify the wild price it’s going for. I’ve been wanting Pulse and Delicate sound for years but not as exclusives in this box set. I truly hope next year brings the individual releases like they did with The Early Years.

12. Cenobyte

Cool cool, well to be honest, while I don't mind the cover image as a whole and I like the contrast and general feel, I do have some minor reservations about the full render myself. The lamp post perspectives seem off to me and kind of out of place... plus they just stop after 4-5 of them. But overall I'm ok with it. It actually reminds me of renders I did back when I ran my Pink Floyd fan site back in the 90's/early 2k's... I used 3D software and Photoshop to create my own Hipgnosis-Floyd-like visuals for the site, surprisingly people loved it and I actually got real world work out of it (I designed the original cover for the Lost in the Woods book for instance)... the cover actually reminds me of this image (see link) I did for an Indie album cover circa 2001 or something (also work that came from the Floyd site)... the raised font wasn't my call ;)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81Z3YTC04rL._SS500_.jpg

13. ihersz

ihersz Well-Known Member

this boxset is really a treat, regardless of all the complaints on the price and the grumpy comments, we clearly see how much quality work was put into this.
    I agree with the comments about Dogs of War in the new AMLOR, although I always enjoyed the song. It really got up to a whole new level! Can't wait for the 5.1 rendition.

For those who bought the box on Amazon US: any updates on shipping? I wasn't even charged yet!

Simon A, Hush, OAI and 1 other person like this.
  14. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I saw my credit card was charged early this morning. Not shipping notice yet, but still showing an arrival for tomorrow, and the listing on my Order page has changed in that way that lets you know that your tracking number is imminent.

ihersz likes this.
  15. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Got the Pulse BluRay on now - visibly improved! Its standard definition video origins are still evident and no one will mistake it for native HD. However the video encode is much, much better with far less fizzing and noise. Colours are much more stable, with the coloured hues of the backdrop behind Mr Screen staying stable and solid. Definition relative to the original DVD is much improved. It is dificult to think how this could be bettered visually.

All this is visible when getting up close to my display (49" Sony 49W805). From my usual sitting distance the standard def original are less pronounced. I'm not an AV professional, but this is a huge improvement all round visually. And of course the DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack is an absolute treat (was was always able to make use of the 640kb/s Dolby Digital track on the original DVD and that was no slouch).

16. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

How is the new edit of Pulse what are the new cuts like in the songs any new shots which are superior to the DVD whether its a shot on the band members or an alternate stage shot?

Floyd22, phil.jp and jonnyslb like this.
  17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I had hoped that this new release could replace my CD's, but it can't. When I want to hear either album (DSOT or MLOR) in best sound quality, I'll have to go back to the CD's. The difference in sound quality is fairly large, unfortunately, and immediately audible.

Larry Schmidt likes this.
  18. Tom Hinde

Tom Hinde Forum Resident

It is cut in length. The new length is 8:18 down from around 10 minutes. They cut a few more of the middle sections, and merged two sets of sections together (the girls singing and the break after Dave's two opening guitar solos play after each other, and Rick Wright's solo and Jon Carin's organ solos are merged as in the original). The bass solo is cut unfortunately. I was really hoping to hear a Tim Renwick solo, and a full Rick solo particularly. Plus the sax/guitar jam in the middle sounded brilliant, in my opinion at least. Can't have everything though, still very happy with what it sounds like.

19. Incredulous_Observer

Good to know. The AMLoR 5.1 is the main draw for me, followed closely by the live audio/visual material.

drum_cas and coffeetime like this.
  20. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Sampling Delicate on BluRay now. Everything everyone has said about it is true. The picture restoration is utterly beautiful, the clarity and definition astonishing. On Pulse, whenever there is harsh blue light in the picture, the light turns into a featureless area of bright white with harsh blue edges and haloing (is the opposite of crushed blacks 'crushed whites'?). On Delicate though, there is high levels of detail in those harsh blue & white illumination. During Learning To Fly, the stage has plumes of dry ice drifting across with the lights creating a distinctive haze. In front of it through, the three backing singers are pin sharp with detail even in the deepest of blacks.

As for the sound, at this point it might be simpler to take it that Andy Jackson's 5.1 mixes are perfectly judged, open, tasteful and utterly enthralling. It'll be easier to say if and when any of the audio falls below that standard.

21. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Same but in Canada, says it will arrive tomorrow by 11pm lol, but doesn't show shipped. Pretty sure it wont make it here as I'm 2hrs from a major city.

22. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I'm watching and listening on my lounge system. Sony BDP-S7200 BluRay player, Denon X3500X AV receiver, Miller & Kreisel K Series 5.1 speaker system with Onkyo Atmos enabled ceiling reflectors to make a 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS X capable setup.

Not the highest end of systems, but good enough for to reveal when less than optimal multichannel mixes are being played. The imaging on all the mixes I've heard so far is as good as I've ever heard on my system. The front soundstage is rock solid, with full use made of all 3 front speakers. The front to surround left/right imaging is terrific - Rick's keys during the instrumental opening of Shine On/Delicate just hang in the air between the fronts and the surrounds. No gimmicky pans, just a full 3D sound image.

drum_cas, Simon A, phil.jp and 2 others like this.
  23. Cenobyte

If it makes you feel better, I pre-ordered this on Amazon when it was announced, haven't been charged yet, it still hasn't shipped... but it shows as arriving by 11pm tomorrow. So the same thing really... I'm getting antsy! :shake:

OAI likes this.
  24. jrdiandrea

jrdiandrea Forum Resident

i just checked my Amazon account and it shows it shipped today and will be delivered tomorrow! Don’t know it CC charged yet and I don’t care!

25. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Awesome to read this. Told all ya naysayers that a SD video would greatly benefit from a proper HD treatment with a better encode and more space for the video to breathe. :righton: