Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Very underwhelming and over priced. Another missed opportunity. I was hoping for more audio because a lot was left out.

Peace Be With You was dropped at the last minute as well as early versions of One Slip and Signs of Life. CDs are very cheap to produce. I can understand some of the omissions on TEY but not this time.

I'm not going to pay more than $300 for this. Hoping for individual releases. This may be the first time I don't buy a Pink Floyd release. I can understand the high cost of TEY with so much material and so many rights needed to be acquired. The band should own the rights to most of this stuff. Gilmour is very generous when it comes to charities but there is no charity for his fans.

Tony-A, klockwerk, jonnyslb and 72 others like this.
  2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

3. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

For which people is this boxset made:

Casual fans: no way, normally too expensive
    Collectors: normally no way; nothing real interesting things

That' s ridiculous....

150 euro maximum

vgonis, scobb, petercl and 6 others like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Not excited in the least. Perhaps, at nearly 61, I've finally grown up ? I already have The Division Bell and The Endless River in 5.1. AMLOR in 5.1 is not going to cost me over $400.00 :laugh:

5. Brautigan

Brautigan Well-Known Member

€460!? Pink Floyd (1987) Ltd can **** off. A shocking price to charge for, effectively, 3 albums and 2 DVD's plus a few scraps.

6. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

Are you not excited about 2 unreleased versions of " a great day for freedom"

Sorry, that' s of course a joke:wiggle:

7. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

8. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

@ rontoon

Is there a chance for a letter to the Management signed by all of us?

9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

siveld likes this.
  10. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

What happened to the Middle Years?

11. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Here is a post I wasnt expecting from you @rontoon . I totally agree with you though.
    In the previous thread I mentioned that I dont believe this box will have individual volumes. How will they divide the material without redesigning the whole thing? In TEY there were already individualy volumes on the big box, but now there isnt. The only thing that aparently seems in condition to be sold individual is the book with the 5CDs, but I dont see that happening. Maybe this is more in the spirit of the Immersion Sets, even the format. What do you think?

As for me, since DG era is not my top of the rank PK its very unlikely I will spend any money on anything on this box, unless prices will seriously drop. What gives me more curiosity is the new AMLOR remix.

JulesRules, RangerXT, Sytze and 5 others like this.
  12. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

This.
    No casual fans would buy this, and in my opinion no collectors in his/her right mind would be willing to shell out $500 for this, unless they're filthy rich.

This box should be $200 maximum. And even to justify that price tag, we need much more previously unreleased material.

Hawklord, RangerXT, Buddybud and 3 others like this.
  13. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Immersion sets for the moment. Animals 5.1 pencilled in for next year. No word on the discussed 5.1 of The Wall. TFC remains unexpanded beyond the insertion of When The Tigers Broke Free in 2004.

JulesRules, Matthew Tate and bobcat like this.
  14. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

They go by so fast and before you know it, you're in the later years.

15. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

mastaflatch and coffeetime like this.
  16. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Amen.
    Cannot understand for the life of me how they wrecked the audio part of this set. I mean, not even Venice?!

17. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

It is. Luckily I have some JB vouchers to use, and a birthday in the back end of the year.

ranasakawa likes this.
  18. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

I hope they show a song from DSOT &Venice prior to the release along with a track from Pulse showing the new edit. I want to see footage from those shows before i pre-order

Very eager too see what they have done with DSOT Footage. As WYWH from Knebworth is a great new edit some really cool new camera angles it looks great that footage

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

They were shown the Middle Fingers

;)

St. Troy, Jam757, JulesRules and 11 others like this.
  20. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Maybe that's why he is generous to charities then?
    Ron, save your money for Abbey Road and In The Court Of Crimson King boxes instead, they are more rewarding

So far all releases since 2016 had been underwhelming and poorly produced and curated. EY at least had more content

21. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

£344 at what records - still pricey but when I bought TEY from them they were the cheapest.

We may get lucky and get a SuperDeluxeEdition price deal but suspect that wont be until after Christmas at the earliest.

Cheers
    Gary

stillrockin and coffeetime like this.
  22. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

On Amazon France

The Beethoven's New Complete Edition on Deutsche Grammophon with 118 CDs + 3 Blu-rays + 2 DVDs costs 231,77 €

PK Later Years with 5CDs + 6 Blu-rays + 5 DVDs costs 448,80 €

:tsk:

supernaut, Leigh Burne, scobb and 9 others like this.
  23. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

"The Years"

Would they ever revive the concept of "Experience" and "Immersion" sets for Animals and The Final Cut?

24. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I was wondering that myself - it does sound distinctly different but YouTube isn’t the most accurate when evaluating audio.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

CD for $14 CAD. Pre ordered. I’m done.

aphexj and Django216 like this.