Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He is worse then Keith Moon. I didn’t think that was possible.

2. central616

central616 Forum Resident

Nicholas Mason also sung this:

Geordiepete, Beatlened and Runicen like this.
  3. ropiyas

ropiyas Forum Resident

It's not from the Official channel, it's a fan made video (with a little enhancement/doctoring/cleaned up a little) taken from the Immersion set (not really sure if it is in its entirety, or chopped up or what...can't really say since I don't own it).

4. Chains

Chains Forum Resident

1974 or 75 if I remember correctly. I think the date appears on A Treefull of Secrets boot collections?

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I do own it. It's not fan made or enhanced in any way. This is the official live footage from The Wall shows shot by Alan Parker and this short song is the only thing that Roger allowed to be released on the Wall Immersion box. Unfortunately.

6. Gabry1971

Gabry1971 Well-Known Member

but who is popeye's father?

ARK, Geordiepete, savemenow and 7 others like this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Wasn't it later found to come from the Zabriskie Point sessions?

8. H.Timseel

H.Timseel Forum Resident

Where did I ever say it looked amateurish?? You're putting words in my mouth as well as questioning me.
    In the comments of the clip it read that someone else (other than RW) had been working on it...as in, cleaning it up etc. So I didn't see it as an official clip....I did at first when i clicked play and freaked the **** out thinking, finally!... then read the comments...
    There's something else they commented on too which I've not heard of before Tear Stained Eyes project.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

It's Nick and PF roadie Alan Stiles on vocals on a 1975-ish BBC recording, but not Floyd itself.

10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Ok, I guess that's partly why it wasn't on an immersion set - thanks!

11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

You're kidding, have you seen Rog close up. At the show I saw on the U+T tour from the seventh row, he looked ancient, after he took his pig mask off during Dogs, he looked absolutely knackered, never mind lines on the face, he's got crevasses.

12. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Christ almighty, that is just horrid. Pink Floyd really were pretty damn awful before Meddle. Late bloomers thats for sure!

J_D__, Col and The Slipperman like this.
  13. central616

Keep listening to One Direction, kid.

14. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

He either likes early Floyd or he’s a One Direction fan?

15. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

I love that song, especially the jam in the middle with Rick's wah-wah keyboards. I hope Nick's band plays it in the upcoming shows.

Freddie Barry, aphexj and PhoffiFozz like this.
  16. Even David and Roger agree that 69-70 was not a strong period. When listening to the early stuff it is quite clear that Syd Barrett was the driving force and strongly influenced Richard and Roger's contributions. 67-68 was glorious.

However it was not until Meddle (Echoes in particular), and this is from both David and Roger on many occasions, that Floyd found their sound.

PDK and Billy Infinity like this.
  17. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

That's where I'm familiar with it. That Zabriskie Point of View boot has it.

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

You commented that it was fan made.
    My point was that this was professionally filmed and released. From the look of the clip I thought that it would be obvious along with it being released 8 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    jdw likes this.
  19. central616

They never found their sound. They keep changing the formula in every album (well maybe TFC is the exception).
    Roger will never say that something that was not penned by him or Syd is good, and David disparaged AHM multiple times but in later years he played Fat Old Sun multiple times and the suite once.
    Nick and specially Rick praised AHM.
    We all can agree that the studio album of Ummagumma is terrible, but the live part is amazing, so we have 4.5 great albums before Meddle. Not bad for a "pretty damn awful" band.

20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Disagree about Ummagumma. I like it. Well 3/4 parts but thats par for the course with Floyd.

21. H.Timseel

H.Timseel Forum Resident

So all fan made products are amateurish? I don't think so.
    Would you call any of your projects amateurish?

Like others I thought it was an official post to start with.
    Yes, obviously it's an old clip that we've seen a hundred times before, I think some of us were hoping a release was coming.

22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I think he also does the chorus in Vegetable Man ("Vegetable man, where are you'), a small voice part in Candy and a Currant Bun ('drive me wild') and of course his voice turns up in the middle of Learning to Fly.

23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

They were certainly far from professional release quality so it would be hard to argue against it.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  24. triply

triply Forum Resident

David certainly did find his sound. Start album off with an ambient instrumental, have songs with lots of guitar solos, very crisp, clean sounding recording and great production values!

David has said that FoS is the best song he wrote in the 70s.
    If I'm not mistaken, he said FoS from the 70s, Sorrow from the 80s, High Hopes from the 90s and The Blue from the 00s are his best songs.
    I'd agree with all of them, except The Blue. I felt it was the worst song on On an Island.

Nope, I cannot agree with that! I enjoy the album quite a bit!!

JulesRules, andrewskyDE and zinan like this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'm in!

SteveFff likes this.