Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

That actually might be lyrics to the song, Roger just looked at the acronym and let loose the Pict!

Regarding The Later Years, @rontoon asked whether we were keeping stuff inside or outside the big box. I've gone for an outside, "all just bricks in the wall" approach with the CDs and BluRays. The DVDs and rest of the memorabilia are safely stored in their shipping container next to the big black Early Years box.

I do like the idea of digging through the attractive package to get at the discs but right now I just want easy access to all the music and video.

Really enjoying this set overall. It's not everything I wanted it to be, but the video, expanded DSoT on 2 CDs, and live extras like the siiiick "One of These Days" from Hanover make it pretty nice indeed.

[​IMG]

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

So its completely feasible for them to put out a “Just the cds” package separate from the box.

Rekkerds and fishcane like this.
  3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Well yes as that’s just how it is in the box also! I added the highlights cd also

4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

That would be a very good idea, as a lot of people don't seem to need the video stuff. But if a "just the cds" package comes out, I'm afraid they're gonna leave out a cd, which will be exclusive to the box.

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Im fine with the clips on youtube. I never sit down to watch a concert on DVD anymore.

6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Very nice indeed. I need to rethink my shelf space.

7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yup. Amazon streaming the audio. Someone posted the full videos on YouTube and I grabbed them for offline viewing. I watched DSoT, which I don’t think I ever saw before. Excellent stuff, brought back good memories from the show I saw. I’ll watch Venice once. I own the dvd of Pulse and never watch it. I found the Division Bell tour a little dull at the time, and if I want to hear Dark Side, there are much better options.
    I think this is a very nice box, and I’m sure many are enjoying it. I like reading all the enthusiasm here. It just isn’t for me.

Billy_Sunday and rontoon like this.
  8. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

David Gilmour's Live at Pompeii and Live in Gdańsk were released in several packages, both with and without the video material. People who weren't interested in dvds or blurays could buy just the cds, and vice versa. In my opinion that was a smart move.

9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Indeed. I wish they'd offered that option for TEY and TLY...

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Fair enough. :righton:

11. coepc

coepc Forum Resident

i found out on eBay this was actually done with TEY set, Japanese discs of just the audio. You can buy each cd or 2 cd set separately. I bought the 1971 set, it seems like a legit product, official PFR branding and same liner notes.

12. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Sorry to disappoint you, but these are Russian-made pirate cds.

13. basskitten

basskitten Well-Known Member

Ironically, he does sing in the original radio show. When they first land on Magrathea, Wish You Were Here is heard and Arthur says "Do you know this robot can hum like Pink Floyd? What else can you do Marvin?" Marvin: "Rock and roll" (Beatles "Rock and roll music" plays).

Sluggy and Geordiepete like this.
  14. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Yeah these are boots but have to say they are done very well. They include jackets for the cds, liner notes and obi strips. They look really neat. I wonder if the sound quality isn’t the same?

15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

As soon as I finished that post, I immediately regretted it. I couldn't think of an instance of Marvin singing, but I only read the books. I knew someone would correct me again.
    :hide:

16. coepc

coepc Forum Resident

Well I was a tad suspcious when I saw them, should have researched a little more, glad I didn't buy more. I already have the other 5 official PFR sets, I just wanted the music on CD for the one set. I thought maybe they could've been a special later release in Japan or something, but didn't check a real store that sells Japan discs, I don't usually buy those. I also noticed the bar codes had no numbers. But everything about the package and CD's looks really official and seem to sound fine, for the two I bought. The liner notes are printed larger in the same font and easier to read than the official volumes' slim booklets.

17. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I avoid international sellers for CDs like the plague on eBay ..amount of fakes is amazing

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Off topic, I fear, but the album and video of Delicate Sound of Thunder don't have a 'The' in the title, or did they in some countries? Or, back on topic, is it listed as The Delicate Sound of Thunder somewhere in the Later Years material?

19. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

And, unlike the box, they're very well priced.

coepc and warewolf95 like this.
  20. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

You are right, these are often perfect copies and sometimes better looking and sounding than the original. Ebay, discogs and second hand CD stores are plagued with them.

My experience is the counterfeits do not bare the right mould and/or matrix SID code. A good magnifier and Discogs is all you require to spot these boots. I usually discard them as they add no real value to my music collection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    JediJoker, coepc and warewolf95 like this.
  21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

That Live in Gdansk :love:

Not looking to sell that, are you? ;)

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No. I brought this up in my previous post.

JediJoker likes this.
  23. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Haha, I was responding to just that previous post, but my chronic confusion over initialisms kicked in!

Yes, the label on the vinyl says The Dark Side of the Moon.

I'd prefer to dispense with initialisms and use short titles, e.g. Dark Side, Momentary Lapse, and Later Years—bringing us back on topic!

Lost In The Flood and JediJoker like this.
  24. Raf

Raf Senior Member

As long as we're doing this kind of thing: which is the real title, "Breathe," "Breathe (In the Air)," "Breathe in the Air" or "Breathe (Breathe in the Air)"? All four versions have appeared on various releases throughout the years. There may be more variations that I don't know about.

Edit: Just as I was typing this, my watch beeped a reminder to do my breathing exercises. :eek:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  25. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

At that point you may as well just type the entire title, it would probably be a lot easier to remember than the acronym LOL

zinan likes this.