Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Is there a danger when you go off post/piste that you will go down an Endless River?

Geordiepete and BeatleJWOL like this.
  2. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

DSoT 2019 film is extraordinary, it is so incredible that even if they used the same lousy editing from the original, but with the same HD transfer would be great! My only complain is really the missing tracks, and they could used an multi-angle option on Blu-Ray, because every bit of footage of that show was amazing! I would give anything to be at Nassau Coliseum in those shows!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  3. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

I remember for such a long time this tour/album (DSoT) was a punching bag from Pink Floyd fans, saying the worst things about it; I said many times, when they release the Blu-Ray version with proper editing, fans will change their minds about it,this concert will be recognize. I was right!

4. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

I have not seen this 94 documentary before

5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

You and me both, I have been regularly standing up for the mysterious vortex that is 1987-90 ever since it happened .... momentary lapse, delicate sound of thunder, steel wheels, Andersen Bruford Wakeman Howe, KAOS, Journeyman, etc... often it seems I’m the only one who actually appreciates these releases and their respective tours of that era.

I personally am a bigger fan of what happened in 87-88with Pink Floyd then what happened in 94, against all odds. Altho to be fair, I do like both, just not as much

6. Jemspeed

Jemspeed Well-Known Member

Was never a fan of the DG years, have all albums but AMLOR, DSOT, DB, but bought this set and love it. For, $293 on Amazon, I feel this was a steal, this is a beautiful box. The DSOT Blu-ray looks amazing to me and Rachel Fury wow!

7. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

Comfortably Numb from DSoT was actually my entry point into PF. I had only known some (most of it, actually, the dubbed tape I had ended halfway through The Show Must Go On) of The Wall before, but it hadn't really caught my attention (even the studio version of Comfortably Numb for some reason).

I still remember listening to a tape od the 2nd part of DSoT at night on a bus ride in winter and the wow moment then it got to Comfortably Numb. Still, Money and Another Brick pt. 2 were and still are two of my least favourite PF moments, especially the DSoT versions. Luckily, when I started to seriously get into PF, I quickly discovered that these two are actually some of the very few things PF I don't really enjoy.

I've always loved everything by the Gilmour-led Floyd and I still think that this was the period when they actually captured the whole otherworldy vibe they are associated with in the public consciousness. There are brilliant, understated things like Cluster One or the break in One Slip on the new AMLoR remaster that no other band could ever make.

8. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

I have just re watched Knebworth and that has to be the hidden gem concert in the box set. They did an excellent job with footage. DSOT is obviously the big selling point of the box we all know that but Knebworth is probably the best concert after DSOT. Excellent performance they are not on auto pilot. Money is a song a lot of people are bored of hearing it, but the Knebworth version of it may be the best version of it from this era IMO. For a concert which either many have not heard in full or know off its the 2nd stand out concert in the box set and justify's the price tag.

9. chav

chav Active Member

Sorry for bringing the same point over and over, but I would really like the Atlanta 87 footage. I think every live video from that era has its merits, and should be in the box, because is the history of that period.

Big Pasi, jonnyslb and PhoffiFozz like this.
  10. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

We all would, apart from the band members.

RangerXT and chav like this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Meh, I could live w/o it just fine. I have a very clean copy, easy to find, but never care to watch it. May never again after this release. To each their own.

markreed and RangerXT like this.
  12. chav

chav Active Member

I'm sure you would want to watch it, if the sound was remixed and improved, and the video was officially released in this box! Right?

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Of course. Why wouldn't I watch something I paid for.

chav, RangerXT and zinan like this.
  14. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

I agree, the performance is different from DSoT, it was filmed and should be on the box set, to justify a little bit more the overprice of the box set. The Extra Songs from DSoT should in their right place in set list, along with main film, and on the space left from that disc, they should included the Atlanta performance.

RangerXT, Big Pasi and chav like this.
  15. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I saw them at Wembley Stadium in 1988 and Earl's Court in 1994.

I've always preferred the 94 gig and the Pulse film. But have always felt the 87-88 stuff was "underrated".

16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

FYI to US Residents. PBS is showing a Venice 1989 Concert tonight at 9:30(so already Started if you live in the EST.) it mentions the Concert Title as Night of Wonders that attracted 200,000 people St. Marks Square. Is this a different concert than the Venice 1989 one included in The Later Years Box Set, as I do not see the same description for the Venice Concert in that Box Set?

coepc likes this.
  17. RickSanchez

RickSanchez Well-Known Member

Not here in Philly

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I did not realize PBS ran different schedules in different cities. Check your PBS schedule for the next few weeks, as unless it played in Philly the past few days, I assume it will get shown in the next few weeks.

OT since you live in Philly. Nice Win for the Flyers over the Rangers today for the Weekend Sweep. They are playing well, but with so many Teams making Trades at the Deadline, might shake up the Playoff Races in both Conferences.

19. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

It is on this coming Saturday in Chicago.

rontoon likes this.
  20. triply

triply Forum Resident

OT, but Pink Floyd is celebrating the 47th Anniversary of TDsotM by just highlighting some merch that is available on their website.

They sent out a "Did you know?" email and it seems to me that the history re-writing is continuing with the notes being skewed to mention Wright and Gilmour, but nothing about Waters.

There is a note about Money and it quotes Gilmour talking about how it was influenced by Booker T, but absolutely no mention that the song was in fact written by Waters.

There is a note about it being a concept album that explores themes, but no mention that the concept was suggested by Waters.

They have a note about the cover art and do not forget to mention that it was Wright who suggested the direction to take when designing the cover.
    Wasn't it Waters who suggested taking the colours as an ECG reading across the gatefold and then to go through an inverted prism at the back?

No mention about the lyrics at all - which again seems to suggest that they want to mention Waters as little as possible.

There is even a mention of the album being engineered by Alan Parsons.

Maybe I'm reading a little too much into it, but not a very pleasant read. It really felt like they were trying to play down all the contributions Waters made. Mason gets no mention in any of the notes, either.

Again, sorry for the OT rant.

Roger Gilmour, klockwerk and Frans T like this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yes, you are reading to much into it.

22. Ian Molloy

Ian Molloy Well-Known Member

The rain wasn't an added bonus if you were there!!

LivingForever and RockAddict like this.
  23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Just got this set from a fellow forum member, and it's a great box for what I paid! I hadn't heard the Division Bell 5.1, so that's a treat! Great mix! The Momentary Lapse of Reason 5.1 mix (and stereo) sounds a little muddy in the drum department, but is a really interesting take on the album. I had no idea the dimensions of the box were so HUGE! Sgt. Pepper's 50th was my largest box set, but this one dwarfs that one in thickness and a bit in height and width as well. I would have bought it new, but I just couldn't justify the price. I'm glad I waited. Now I have every Floyd album that's been mixed to surround. :righton:

24. triply

triply Forum Resident

That's what I thought, but it did seem strange - like they were going out of their way... anyway...

25. Muppet

Muppet Brain the size of a Planet.

Price is down to £266 via Amazon UK as seen on the super deluxe edition website.

RockAddict, Gavaxeman and coffeetime like this.