Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

The only box set I bought was the Beatles' White Album, but with all the extra audio content and the book, it represented decent value. I didn't feel the same about Abbey Road, so bought the 2-CD set, and I'm sorry to say that The Later Years is just too pricey for me when all it has that I care about is the Delicate Sound CDs and blu-ray, which are great renovations of great material, and the Momentary Lapse CD, which I think is a good remaster and update of great material. But I stream them on my free Spotify account. The rest of the set doesn't seem essential to me, or anywhere near. Someone here recently said how great 'Slippery Guitar' is, so I streamed that a second time in case in my earlier listen I dismissed it prematurely. But no, it doesn't do anything for me. (No offence to those who like it and the other tracks on the CD it's on.)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    turnersmemo likes this.
  2. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I totally get that. However as there's no individual release for the remix as of right now that's the cheapest way to at least see what it's like. Hopefully there will be an individual release for the remix down the road as I feel it would be a decent seller.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Amazing that Floyd's Is There Anybody Out There - The Wall live 2CD set + book was so reasonably priced 20 years ago, hate to think what it would list for now. I remember it being around $20-$30 when it came out. I have always been very happy with it, this is the only version of The Wall I will listen to.

4. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Its the only version i listen too. They did an excellent job with the audio the deluxe long box edition was well put together

5. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

6. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

They already answered your question, in a way, by including that set in the Wall Immersion set. I thought I heard rumor that the Immersion set version was remixed, but damned if I could tell the difference. The original release was an amazing, unexpected treat, considering it was the first live album from the classic line-up during their 70's peak. (I know many love Ummagumma's live side, but I'd say that predated their peak years.) The fact they went and included it as almost 1/3 of the Wall set 12 years later was probably one of the first signs that they/the record company detected their audience was largely willing to pay more for stuff they already had.

7. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

More of a little booklet than a book, unless we have different editions of that double CD. But yes, great value and a great release.—Oh, I just read Azza200's comment, so maybe I got the cheaper edition and the deluxe long box edition has a proper book. Never heard of that till now. Just found images of it here. Wish I'd bought that version, but the CDs are the same.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    coffeetime and JulesRules like this.
  8. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Yeah the long box was the initial release ..booklets very good , has sections of tracing paper to show the set design taking place from page to reality ..it’s pretty good and was decently priced if I remember correctly ..as was the piper 3 cd set ..

Ironically the Immersion sets ha e dropped like a stone currently ..but I brought the 2 cd versions on the cheap and can’t really see enough extra to bother getting the bigger set

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. triply

triply Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to get the longbox edition. This was long before Amazon started shipping internationally to my country. A very kind Echosian had bought it for me and mailed it, along with the CD of When the Wind Blows.

I love the set. I remember that I lot of people felt the cover was one of the worst covers designed by Storm. I personally thought it fit well with the theme.

Matthew Tate and JulesRules like this.
  10. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I have the 3-CD Piper at the Gates: love it! I play that and Is There Anybody Out There every few months. In fact, I'll put that latter on next!

coffeetime, Matthew Tate and SteveFff like this.
  11. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

It does fit, but I would have preferred a more imaginative illustration than the concept photo of the surrogate band's masks. Perhaps they could have asked Gerald Scarfe, but I understand them wanting to stay with Storm.

mcnpauls likes this.
  12. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

The Immersion Set version is a remaster,and this is clearly stated on the discs!
    The sound quality has become considerably better,and this is clearly noticable.I have both versions(the 2000 and the 2011 ones)and made a careful comparison!

13. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

If they managed to do away with some of the hum and buzz on certain tracks, wouldn't it qualify as a remix though, technically? I admit, despite this, I never could muster up the enthusiasm for buying the Wall Immersion. I've stayed, so far, with my 1994 remaster of the album and the fatboy edition of ITAOT.

Sadly, it's not going to happen anytime soon. Source: Nick Mason interview in the new issue of eclipsed Magazine.

14. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Wish You Were Here and The Wall Immersion sets are both around $65 on amazon (US) right now - tempted to order as I never got them.

Dark Side is around $85, currently.

What did they originally retail for?

15. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Did he happen to elaborate as to why? Did he say anything else of interest?

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There's an entire thread dedicated to this Animals release. You'll find your answer there.

Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1

JediJoker likes this.
  17. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I just looked through the 79 pages of that thread and could not find the answer to jonboy71's question, which referred specifically to Nick Mason's interview in the new edition of Eclipsed magazine. I did find references to an older Rolling Stone interview. Did I miss the answer you refer to, and if so, could you please tell which page of the thread it's on?

18. ndtbd

ndtbd Forum Resident

I want to say around $119. I seem to remember one at Newbury Comics for $115. I looked back and paid $87 from Amazon in 2012 and thinking that was a steal then.

Billy_Sunday and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I don't think anybody posted it. I've done it now. Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1

20. Starship73

Starship73 Forum Resident

I'm probably not the first person to do this, but finally got around to combining the new Delicate Sound Of Thunder film with the Bonus Tracks included in the boxset to create a single, extended version of the film which includes the five extra tracks inserted into the correct place in the running order.

I haven't done this in maximum resolution as I just wanted to prove the concept - I used Handbrake to create 480p MP4 video files with 256kps AAC sound tracks from the DVD discs (which is fine for viewing on an iPad with Bluetooth headphones for example) and imported them into iMovie.

The good news is that you don't need to do anything at all with the video to make the transitions look smooth as they handily included a second or so's worth of completely black screen between Learning To Fly and Sorrow. So you just split the file there, and then insert the bonus tracks file there as this also begins and ends with completely black frames (although you have to trim off the few seconds at the beginning where the intro titles appear on the bonus segment).

The sound needs a bit more work, but can easily be sorted by flying in a bit of audience noise to bridge the transitions and adding some cross-fading so it doesn't sound jarring.

You end up with an extended concert film running at 2h 10min 57s (about 15min longer) with all tracks now present and correct apart from Welcome To The Machine.

Just a bit of PF fun for Easter Sunday! Anyone else done this yet?

21. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Hello everyone,

Wow, that's a lot of comments from all of you on this thread, and this is only my first... I'm a pretty big fan of Pink Floyd's later years under the direction of David Gilmour. I absolutely love The Division Bell and Pulse, and I quite like Momentary Lapse, Delicate Sound and Endless River. I haven't really been able to form an opinion about this box set yet though, so I guess my obvious question is; would you recommend this to me (once it hopefully becomes available for 200-300 euros)?

Best wishes from Holland,

Martijn

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    drum_cas, zinan and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. triply

triply Forum Resident

Yes!

DBMartin likes this.
  23. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

What's your favourite thing in this set?

24. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Favourite: Delicate Sound of Thunder Cds and Blu-Ray, Pulse new angles
    Disappoitment: No Welcome to the Machine and No Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 film! Sad

To me the price is high for the content, to justify more the price I would include:
    CD6 : The Division Bell Tour Extra-Tracks: (Soundscape, Lost for Words, Poles Apart, Marooned, On the Turning Away, Take it Back)
    Blu-Ray 7 : Entire Delicate Sound of Thunder (main movie + Bonus tracks + WttM and ABitWPt.2) with multi-angle option!!!
    Blu-Ray 8 : Pulse with multi-angle option!!!
    Blu-Ray 9 : Venice+Versailles concert (there's some footage taken from that shows in France they could alternate with songs that weren't performed in Venice and use Versailles to get an outside concert from Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour)
    Blu-Ray 10 : Add Atlanta shows in the place of Bonus Tracks from Delicate (On the Turning Away, One Slip and The Dogs of War videos were used in 87-88 to promote the tour)!Toronto rehearsals from 87! Use some filming from The Division Bell Tour (Earl's Court shows) (Astronomie Domine, Hey You, On the Turning Away, What do You Want from Me, Hey You)
    Blu-Ray 11 : Add Interviews from A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour with technicians, musicians, band members (there's a good interviews from MTV) and more interviews from The Division Bell Tour (MTV in San Sebastian there's a lot of them, and in the Earl's Court concerts sequence)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  25. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I was able to snag both on Amazon UK for around $50, before they stopped international shipments. I think both are well worth $50-$60.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020