Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Sadly, these days I have to agree with you!

zinan and Sevoflurane like this.
  2. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

But tracks co-written by Waters were/are ok legally??

3. I just did this last night, and I have listened to it three times now, I think this will be my go to listen of these live recordings from now on. Also each set can be listened to as separate pieces of work.

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason Live (2019 Stereo Mix) (24bit 96kHz)
    2301 Signs Of Life (3:19)
    2302 Learning To Fly (5:08)
    2303 The Dogs Of War (7:52)
    2304 One Slip (6:05)
    2305 On The Turning Away (9:02)
    2306 Yet Another Movie (6:17)
    2307 Round And Around (0:35)
    2308 A New Machine (Part 1) (1:35)
    2309 Terminal Frost (6:17)
    2310 A New Machine (Part 2) (0:35)
    2311 Sorrow (10:45)
    Set Duration 57:28

This has more life than either Studio Version, shame they weren't able to tour this for a few months before recording in the Studio. Nick and Rick fully present here.

Fade in edit on 2301
    Segue edit between 2302 & 2303
    Segue edit between 2303 & 2304
    Segue edit between 2304 & 2305
    Segue edit between 2305 & 2306
    Fade out edit on 2311

A Victory Lap Of Honour Live (2019 Stereo Mix) (24bit 96kHz)
    2312 Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1 - 5) (12:03)
    2313 One Of These Days (5:56)
    2314 Time (5:18)
    2315 On The Run (2:49)
    2316 The Great Gig In The Sky (4:51)
    2317 Wish You Were Here (4:38)
    2318 Welcome To The Machine (7:45)
    2319 Us And Them (7:38)
    2320 Money (8:18)
    2321 Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) (5:26)
    2322 Comfortably Numb (9:54)
    2323 Run Like Hell (8:08)
    Set Duration 82:45

I never liked SOYCD isolated from the other pre-AMLOR tracks and One Slip in the encores never felt right to me.

Segue edit between 2312 & 2313
    Segue edit between 2322 & 2323

The new 2019 DSOT is the complete 1988 set list and is a very much better listen than 1988's "highlights" release.

Note: all the edits between tracks are to blend the audience sounds.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  4. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I’m not sure. The audio of the Waters only tracks was released in the box set, but they didn’t release the video, so I assume there is something specific about the visuals (perhaps the Mr Screen films) causing concern.

There seems to have been a pretty catastrophic decline in Waters / Gilmour relations prior to the assembly of the Later Years box. I can’t help thinking the original plan would have been to release the entire show, which would certainly flow better as others have said.

Despite the above, I still think the restored DSOT video is a revelation.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

AFAIK, releasing the entire show was never the plan. If it was it would seem strange to include some of the missing songs as bonus videos in the box instead of being included in the feature.

6. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

But the real question is why would it not be the plan ? Why would you not present a full show if you had everything to do so ?

BeatleJWOL and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

They could of put Yet Another Movie & Terminal Frost back in its correct place though in the set rather then putting it on a different disc as an extra. They could of put it as an extra alternatively on the same disc.

Matthew Tate and NunoBento like this.
  8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Because they wanted to keep it close to the original presentation.
    Do you really believe that they didn't realize this was an option?

Matthew Tate and Azza200 like this.
  9. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

They probably did know it was an option

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

The original presentation had it all together, it was called the actual concert. As far as I can tell, it was trimmed down so that it would fit on VHS Video Tape and not have to be sold as a two tape set. Why would anybody want to reproduce that ? If keeping it close to the original presentation was the goal, then why mess with the all edits like they did as it now looks nothing like the VHS Release and the audio has been altered as well. (not that it looks or sounds bad).

jonnyslb and JulesRules like this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That's not what I was referring to and you know it. The original release. It's been a while since this was box set came out. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people are still whining about it.

fishcane likes this.
  12. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

The original release was only cut down due to the limitations of the VHS Format of the time, why re-create that ? Trying to understand the logic of this release is not whining.

13. It is curious, that while the Audio version at 141 minutes now represents a typical set list, the Video is only 115 minutes.

There were hundreds (?) of 35mm reels that were digitized into 4K AFAIK.

Personally I am happy with the full setlist on Audio, the full setlist on Video, for me, would have been nice to have, I can see why many are disappointed though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  14. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

But then why would “Money”, another Waters-only composition, have been included in all versions from the very beginning?

15. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

...among other songs, good point! Anyway, I only regret that they waste more energy bitching with each others than to put more effort in released unpublished material!

BeatleJWOL and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It wasn't in all versions, just the American release

17. Starship73

Starship73 Forum Resident

I just ripped the video and audio from the discs and created my own full version by inserting the extras into the correct position in the concert. Just requires a bit of tweaking on the audio to cross fade the audience noise.

18. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I'm guessing, but could it be related to the visuals, e.g. the Mr Screen films?

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There was no screen film for Brick 2, so that's surely not the only thing they were worried about

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I don't know what else to say, you were given an answer and I appreciate that you don't like it. It obviously wouldn't be my choice either but it was a creative decision by the band once again, just like when they released the VHS version of the show. Do you really think that the VHS format was limited to 104 minutes? I have a Grateful Dead VHS that's 150 minutes long!

This is how they want the tour represented, that's the bottom line. It was a creative decision which also includes internal editing of the songs. Viewing a concert from home is a very different experience than attending the live show. It could have had something to do with slowing down the flow of the performance. These are choices one makes when editing a film. I should have written that people were still complaining about it rather than whining. Of course everyone has a right to complain, but you have your answer.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Frans T, drum_cas, obi and 3 others like this.
  21. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Of course, there's plenty of things about this particular release many of us don't necessarily agree with, but ultimately it is the bands decision as to how they present and preserve their work. The "Why this, why that" have been done to death in this thread and it's annoying to me that some people can't use a search function.

Though with the news that Bob Mould has announced a 24CD box set for about £80, it does put the pricing of this set into context.

22. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I think why it sticks out as a negative aspect is that PULSE represents a complete concert. And given that the DSOT film is of technically better quality than PULSE, it would have been nicer to bring that approach to DSOT too instead of cutting out some of the best songs again. (Yet Another Movie was even included on the original 2CD in spite of, say, Great Gig!)

23. Pulse, is actually a funny one. There were two distinct versions of The Division Bell Tour (March to October 1994) setlist. One version included the complete TDSOTM (Setlist B) in the second set (alternating from July 15, 1994 onwards), and opened the first set with SOYCD. The other (the original Setlist A) opened the first set with Astronomy Domine, the second with SOYCD, although sometimes they would swap these two tracks with each other, especially in Europe.

When they played TDSOTM they would usually drop Astronomy Domine, On The Turning Away and Hey You. High Hopes and ABITW (Part 2) were moved to the first set when they played TDSOTM.

Pulse (Audio) is an imaginary setlist, for the first set, as it includes elements of both versions of the setlists. It is notable for (excluding On The Turning Away and, on the CD version excluding One Of These Days) and for High Hopes being stitched together from 5 nights at Earls Court. The second set is an accurate version of Setlist B (albeit from several nights at Earls Court, Rome and Modena).

EDIT: Having written this however the Pulse (DVD/Bluray) is a complete concert (TDSOTM version), so ignore the above if talking about the Video (of Setlist B), which you were.

What is really nice about DSOT (2019) (Audio) is that it is the exact regular setlist they played in 1987 - 1989, excluding a few early dates which opened with Echoes instead of SOYCD.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  24. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Yes, I was specifically talking about the concert films. The live album of PULSE never really convinced me for a number of reasons, and the cobbled together setlist is one of them - disc 1 just never really flows. But I do like the DVD and wish DSOT had been expanded to its (more or less) full length in order to also accurately represent the tour.

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I had to rip the PULSE DVD (sans the tracks already on the album) to CD purely because the performance of "Sorrow" blows the CD version away.