Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

As extras.

Matthew Tate and rontoon like this.
  2. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I hope not! I paid a premium for it off of eBay!:D

3. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

On the site, it seems that those 5 tracks are in the right place on the set list, instead of being separated as "bonus tracks". Let's see what is going to be...

zinan, Matthew Tate and NunoBento like this.
  4. You may be looking at the Audio, the CD and LP versions are the complete 23 track setlist. the Video is 16 tracks.

Correction: The Video in the Box Set may have 21 tracks, excluding another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) and Welcome To The Machine. It also appears they might have been edited into the running order although it refers to them as bonus content it shows the 21 track order with the bonus tracks in the right sequence.

Final Edit: You may well be right!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  5. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

If there’s so much as a second of material featured on the standalone set that wasn’t in TLY, I call bullsh*t.

6. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

The deluxe version of the set includes the extra 5 tracks, as noted on the site.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I agree.

And then I’ll probably buy it anyway :D

Big Pasi likes this.
  8. Was hoping for something like this. It’s a definite purchase, just a matter of which version(s) to get.

:goodie:

9. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

So Welcome to the Machine is just audio only? Not on any of the blu rays?

Tempted to get the box set as it's not hugely expensive when compared to the stand alone bluray.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Johnny Feathers

You are worse than I am, then!

coffeetime likes this.
  11. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Yay. That's a deluxe box on my wishlist.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  13. On PinkFloyd.com

The release of the restored, re-edited and remixed version of Delicate Sound of Thunder has been announced for Friday 20th November. Originally available solely on VHS and Laser disc, the Grammy Award-nominated programme has been completely restored and re-edited under the direction of Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis, with the sound remixed by Andy Jackson with David Gilmour. It will be available on Blu-ray and DVD, with audio-only versions on 2-CD or 3-LP, plus a Deluxe 4-disc version including 2-CDs plus Blu-ray and DVD, each of which contain five bonus tracks.

Delicate Sound of Thunder was filmed a year into the triumphant record-breaking Momentary Lapse of Reason tour at the Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, New York. Although the actual final live date was in June 1990, this concert presentation celebrated the last shows of 1988 – filmed and recorded over a 5-night run in August. Originally directed by Wayne Isham, the new version was sourced directly from hundreds of cans of original 35mm negatives, painstakingly restored and transferred to 4K, with the show completely re-edited by Benny Trickett, under the creative direction of Aubrey Powell/Hipgnosis. Similarly, the sound was completely remixed from the original multitrack tapes by longtime Pink Floyd engineer Andy Jackson with David Gilmour, assisted by Damon Iddins.

Seen and heard playing alongside David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright are: Jon Carin (Keyboards, Vocals); Tim Renwick (Guitars, Vocals); Guy Pratt (Bass, Vocals); Gary Wallis (Percussion); Scott Page (Saxophones, Guitar); Margret Taylor (Backing Vocals); Rachel Fury (Backing Vocals); and Durga McBroom (Backing Vocals). Film Producers were Curt Marvis and Carl Wyant and Director of Photography was Marc Reshovsky, with Lighting Design by Marc Brickman. Content varies from format to format: Blu-ray and DVD include 16 songs in 115 minutes, with the 3-LP and 2-CD containing 23 songs each (nine more than the original vinyl release and eight more than the original 2-CD). All formats include a 24-page booklet, while the Deluxe box has a 40-page booklet, a double-sided poster and five postcards.

The set list carefully balances then-new material from A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Pink Floyd classics, including four songs from The Dark Side of the Moon, the anthemic title track of Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb and a cathartic Run Like Hell. As a record of the creative power of David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright, Delicate Sound of Thunder presents them at their incendiary best.

Delicate Sound of Thunder can be pre-ordered here.

14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

PULSE next please!

:edthumbs:

Matthew Tate and Billy Infinity like this.
  15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Wonder if this is version is exactly the same as the Later Years (missing Guy Pratt's solo on Money)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

$42 for a t-shirt?! Times getting hard, David?

NunoBento likes this.
  17. The Later Years box set was way beyond my budget but I will absolutely buy the standalone Blu Ray. Thrilled that they are doing this but not surprised. A lot of effort went into the new mix and only a small audience got to see it. Now it will be available to a wider PF audience which is great.

18. Johnny Feathers

If I have a complaint here, other than seeing stuff I paid out the nose for (ok, it was a gift, but the point stands) being parsed out more cheaply afterwards, it's that this is closer to how the stuff should have been released to begin with. TLY set was already weighted heavily to the 1987-88 time period. There could have been a single release covering that album and tour--basically think of an Immersion set for AMLoR, done similarly to the one for the Wall--or a couple of affordable sets, one for AMLoR and one for DSoT. Rinse and repeat for TDB/Pulse/TER.

JulesRules likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The bonus tracks have not been edited into the film.

20. Johnny Feathers

I think it's safe to say it would be the same.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Exactly the same.

22. Yes, the details on the musicglue website are misleading.

I wonder if you can program them to play in the sequence they have posted. You could not do this on TLY because they were on different discs (BluRay 2 & 5).

Tracklist (as it appears on musicglue)
    1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5) (Live, remix 2019) 12.02
    2. Signs Of Life (Live, remix 2019) 3.24
    3. Learning To Fly (Live, remix 2019) 5.20
    4. Yet Another Movie (Live, remix 2019) 6.16
    5. Round And Around (Live, remix 2019) 0.35
    6. A New Machine Part 1 (Live, remix 2019) 1.35
    7. Terminal Frost (Live, remix 2019) 6.17
    8. A New Machine Part 2 (Live, remix 2019) 0.32
    9. Sorrow (Live, remix 2019) 10.33
    10. The Dogs Of War (Live, remix 2019) 7.58
    11. On The Turning Away (Live, remix 2019) 9.04
    12. One Of These Days (Live, remix 2019) 6.28
    13. Time (Live, remix 2019) 5.19
    14. On The Run (Live, remix 2019) 2.47
    15. The Great Gig In The Sky (Live, remix 2019) 4.51
    16. Wish You Were Here (Live, remix 2019) 4.38
    17. Us And Them (Live, remix 2019) 7.34
    18. Money (Live, remix 2019) 8.18
    19. Comfortably Numb (Live, remix 2019) 9.54
    20. One Slip (Live, remix 2019) 6.08
    21. Run Like Hell (Live, remix 2019) 8.05

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    ries and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Yeah, the bonus tracks are not included in the film and will be in stereo only, a 5.1 mix of the full set list would be an interisting addition compare with the TLY box set. Basically nothing new from what was released last year, only a 40 page book and more pictures of the tour! Maybe I'll get the vinyl box set!

24. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

And not a smartphone glow in sight. I do miss that.