Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I’m with Vaughn - while there were things in the box I was interested in, the price was an absolute joke. Delicate Sound of Thunder was comfortably the item I most wanted out of it, so the fact they’ve now put it out separately basically kills any desire I had to buy the box, unless of course it drops to a reasonable price.

£250 is still way too high for what you get. Thin Lizzy’s recent box set was £80 for tons of unreleased music, a documentary and some really nice books. In comparison it feels like Pink Floyd were just trying to rob me.

gabbleratchet7 and croquetlawns like this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

That's one of the oddest autocorrects I've seen! :laugh:

3. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I know, right? My phone’s really been on one with the bizarre corrections lately :laugh:

JulesRules likes this.
  4. JulesRules

Me too. And I'm still on the fence with getting the new DSOT standalone release. I really want all or most of the musical and visual stuff in the big box, but not at that price...

So what else can we expect to be released as smaller standalone releases from the Later Years era? Some suggestions / predictions:

A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Deluxe Edition:
    CD 1 - AMLOR 2011 remaster
    CD 2 - AMLOR 2019 remix
    Blu-Ray Disc: AMLOR 2019 stereo and 5.1 remix + music videos & screen films

The Division Bell - Deluxe Edition:
    CD 1 - TDB 2011 remaster
    CD 2 - Extra tracks
    Blu-Ray Disc: TDB hi-res stereo and 5.1 remix + music videos & screen films
    I'm not sure about CD 2, since there are the three 1987 live recordings too which have nothing to do with TDB but otherwise it would seem like a nice companion disc. Given that they re-authored the DVD and Blu-Ray for the DSOT release, everything is possible.

Pulse - Deluxe Edition:
    CD 1 + 2 - Pulse album remaster, perhaps finally with the tweaked running order (Hey You shifted to disc 2, which would allow for the inclusion of One of These Days on disc 1)
    DVD / Blu-Ray: Pulse film 2019 re-edit

I don't really know about the rest. I would like something along those lines, but this seems like wishful thinking...

Another Lapse - Live:
    CD: Live at Knebworth
    DVD / Blu-Ray: Live at Knebworth & Venice
    Although those discs *could* also be bundled with AMLOR. Maybe the Knebworth CD could also get the three Atlanta 1987 tracks as a bonus.

And then there's the Endless River film, which may well see a separate release too, but in what context?

5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

*sigh*

I don't want to start trouble, but you're dead wrong. I may have wanted the box, but I wasn't going to pay £300 so I throw away a handful of DVD's. The set is cheaper now, 15 months ago it cost more. The box was, and is, way over priced for what you're getting. I just bought a King Crimson box with 24 discs for half that price, and you'd expect Floyd to sell more copies. It amounts to price gouging, imo. Even at £250 it's too much. I have other music to buy.

In short, I don't need an excuse. Usually I buy what I want, but the box is a good chunk of change. It's always balancing act between getting one thing, and doing without another (funds aren't endless), and the numbers for this box just don't make any sense. Aside from that, why would I need an excuse for not spending £300 on a box of music, most of which I already have? And why would I have just paid £36 for DSOT?!? I'll tell you - £36 isn't £300.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I totally get that, man. Once you've paid the money, you tend not to think about it. There are good points about the box, and it's presented well. I'm sure you're enjoying it, and long may it continue.

7. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Bang on the money here. TLY was too much money for not very much music, and given that Bob Mould can do a 24CD box set for £85 (much more content for less than a third of the cost), and he would sell a fraction of a similar priced and costed Floyd boxset, the box set is definitely price gouging us. I paid £175 for mine three months ago and that was at the absolute upper end of what I was prepared to pay for it.

8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I agree with you and others it was and still is way overpriced for the content. I also realize most of us only have so much disposable income. I wasn't happy with the cost either. I bought it because I already had the first box and the three Immersion sets. I didn't want to miss out on what was probably going to be the end. Turns out I was wrong and they keep releasing stuff. I didn't mean to offend. My post sounded snarky and that wasn't my intention. Sorry that it came off that way.

warewolf95, ARK, Buddybud and 7 others like this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

No problem. And for my part, I don't like buying music from the Federation of Russia, I really don't. I'll always buy official product when it's out there, and the price is reasonable. That simply wasn't the case here. Hell, I've overpaid for an album, but this was on another level. It's still on another level. I have no idea of the math behind these things, but surely giving the scale of Floyd's fanbase, they could have gone lower than this..... As someone else mentioned, Bob Mould has a huge box out much more cheaply. It's insane to be honest.

warewolf95, Sytze, Azza200 and 4 others like this.
  10. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The 2019 edit of Pulse does anyone else get a PPV vibe from it i know i do.

RAZORMADE and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

My friend, another thing that They could have done, was a multi angle option, on both Pulse and DSOT, because the stage, lights are so extraordinary that from the point of view of the viewer only one edit isn't enough to absorb the full show!

12. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Yeah that would of been a cool feature on both releases though many artists on dvd/blu ray releases never use that option.

The fact that the stage lighting for both tours are still ahead of their time

Billy_Sunday and jonnyslb like this.
  13. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

You're so right, even with new technology, both shows are incredible, even with technology nowadays. DSOT was 32 years ago and Pulse was 26 years ago.

Azza200 likes this.
  14. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

1994 they mastered the laser effects in sync with the music and key moments Sorrow, Run Like Hell no other band or artist have mastered using the effects like they did during 1994. Some bands use them just for the sake of it and either go OTT with them and they add nothing too music.

The flying droids over the 87-89 stage and the rising droids from the stage all added something too the songs demonstrated perfectly on WTTM the stage droids

vid is not the best quality but shows those lights the best for WTTM in my view

jonnyslb and croquetlawns like this.
  15. Jedburgh

Jedburgh Forum Resident

Later Years box now €229 on amazon.it

Raziel666 likes this.
  16. David Turner

David Turner Active Member

For anyone that’s interested, I’ve just watched the Sky Arts version of Delicate Sound Of Thunder that was shown recently. Here’s the breakdown:-

Programme Recorded Time :- 2h3m

Actual concert runtime minus adverts :- 1h27m

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Signs Of Life
    Learning To Fly

~ Adverts ~

Sorrow

~ Adverts ~

On The Turning Away

~ Adverts ~

One Of These Days
    Time
    On The Run

~ Adverts ~

The Great Gig In The Sky
    Wish You Were Here

~ Adverts ~

Us And Them
    Comfortably Numb

~ Adverts ~

One Slip
    Run Like Hell

Video quality was slightly underwhelming - I presume the blu-ray’s are a noticeable improvement. Other than that, a great version for those who like some adverts to break up the monotony of a concert film.

17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I would add two additional CDs containing a complete show where they did not play all of DSOTM.

JulesRules, superstar19 and jonnyslb like this.
  18. JulesRules

Me too, but I made my list assuming that there is nothing from the era that they deliberately held back. In other words, if it wasn't considered for The Later Years, I don't see it coming out any time soon, sad as it is.

19. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

20. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

I'm sure this clip features a snippet Money from the Atlanta Omni 1987 footage

21. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

That's definitely the horrible outfit that Gilmour had on for the Omni concerts in 87.

I assume they just pulled whatever footage they had available.

Hattipper and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. JulesRules

And a bit of Another Brick with Gerald Scarfe's animation...

Big Pasi and croquetlawns like this.
  23. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

What i like about that Yet Another Movie Atlanta footage is the editing and the mix really captures the song's eerie vibe. Also it has some cool camera angles and a shot of Tim singing which is not shown on Venice or the new DSOT footage and Nicks footwork at the start cool angle.

24. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

So, they've got Atlanta footage of at least Brick and Money. Probably Machine too...

:sigh:

Azza200, Matthew Tate and JulesRules like this.
  25. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Its anyone guess if they do have footage of Money & Brick P2 from Atlanta 87, remember the footage was found in a bin many years ago and thats how we got the updated Atlanta 87 footage. It could just be cleaver editing to make it look like its Money in sync with the audio. Brick P2 from Atlanta is a major question mark. As what i know and understand again they turned the cameras off for those 3 songs.

But it is one the big mystery's from that tour why go all thru that time and expense with all that film equipment too turn off every camera over those 5 nights at Atlanta & Nassau on WTTM, Money & Brick P2

croquetlawns likes this.