Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

From what i can remember in the build up and rumors circling around online in PF forums and in the press it was big news articles in papers daily with updates and once it was confirmed it went nuts people could not believe it was actually happening. As it was a reunion NOBODY ever expected too happen considering the well known split and legal battle.

I remember watching it on the day and the talk all thru out the concert was the reunion later on that night and the build up anticipation of it not knowing the set list. The other artists all felt like warm up acts for The Who and Pink Floyd.

The Who & Pink Floyd made all other acts that day look like amateurs. The reaction after their set was incredible gobsmacked by what we had seen and in awe of the CN solo.

Paul Mccartney may of wanted too close the festival cause of Knebworth but no one talks about his set that night he was a wet wipe in comparison and he could of not topped that reunion or that epic performance of Comfortably Numb no matter how hard he did try no one cared as everyone online and the next day in the press, all everyone was talking about Pink Floyd and their set and how amazing it was.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Deek57, zinan, Maurice and 8 others like this.
  2. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

during the performance

LarsO, Choba b CCCP and NunoBento like this.
  3. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

"When Pink Floyd played Live8 may have been the greatest day of your life, but for Paul McCartney it was just Saturday."

NunoBento and rontoon like this.
  4. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

During the Money solo. Still have that image in my mind.

LarsO likes this.
  5. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

That’s planned, yes

JulesRules likes this.
  6. NunoBento

I don’t know how Paul got into this discussion, but his performance was great that night. The line he used to open his set was perfect: “you’re here for the right reason - you want to rock” is one of the coolest pre-show lines ever.
    Having said that, Pink Floyd was a totally different thing. The performance was so au point, so well rehearsed, so far ahead of everyone else, it seemed the guys had been preparing for that moment for years. The setlist was perfectly paced, Roger’s comments before WYWH (“we’re here standing to Ben counted with the rest of you”) and his mention of Syd were tasteful and that group hug in the end was the most iconic image of the night.

I doubt that the event had any impact on what was happening at the G8 convention in Edinburgh, but I suspect that even they stopped whatever they were doing to see Pink Floyd back together. What a moment.

Watching on TV, I couldn’t believe what I as seeing and cried

7. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I wasn't crying when I was there, but I was very very tired, had been standing up for at least twelve hours, and was starving. And even through all of that, there was a moment when the wall graphics covered the screens and back of the stage, the Gerald Scarfe writing appeared slowly MAKE POVERTY HISTORY, and I remember consciously thinking I am watching Pink Floyd play Comfortably Numb with Roger Waters and I'm Going To Remember This Forever. It sounded incredible.

And it doesn't matter who came on next (heck, God and Jesus could appear on stage and it would have been a damp squib after Pink Floyd that night). It was 11.25. My last train was 11.45 15 minutes walk away or I had a £200 cab ride, and we didn't like McCartney that much. Time to go!

petercl, zinan, BeatleJWOL and 12 others like this.
  8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Apparently there were discussions between the organisers and the police before Pink Floyd came on stage about the fact that the show had overrun and that they may have to finish early. Can you imagine the uproar if Pink Floyd hadn't been able to perform after all!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

There definitely were - I was getting text messages from home updating me on whether the show would end at 8pm as originally stated or have an extended licence granted at the last minute.

Matthew Tate and Bink like this.
  10. NunoBento

I fell asleep after one too many drinks when I was typing this comment and that's why it looks unfinished :unhunh:
    What I meant was that I couldn't believe my eyes and cried throughout the entire performance. By Comfortably Numb, I was sobbing. It's weird, like I was seeing my family reunited. Some things you can't explain.

11. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Because at Knebworth, Macca had the penultimate slot, and him extending his set further and further (because he was miffed that he wasn't the closing act) pushed Pink Floyd back further and further. I know Nick wasn't too pleased in his book.

So come Live 8, the roles were swapped, but PF stole McCartney's thunder again!

Azza200, NunoBento and RAZORMADE like this.
  12. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

13. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

IMO, Dave was singing with more fire than usual that night. He was on.

Billy Infinity and JulesRules like this.
  14. kwf

kwf Forum Resident

I recall Deep Purple going down well and have no recollection of Paul McCartney at all

15. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

I might be remembering this wrong and I can't be bothered to check. But the part of Live 8 that stuck in my mind was the awkward group embrace at the end as David seemed to try run off quite quickly only to be called back by Roger and awkwardly go along with it.

Was clear to me from that it was never going to lead to more shows.

16. Levi's Tubs

I didn't see much interaction between Roger and Rick either. I don't recall them ever reconciling. Good guy Nick's gonna get along with everyone.

vallilalainen, zinan, Azza200 and 2 others like this.
  17. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

In the rehearsals Roger did try and take over and David had to remind him he is the guest, Roger wanted to play In The Flesh & Brick P2

18. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

I guess Nick had the most to gain from a reunion.

Dave and Roger could tour anywhere depending on the material they were playing. Rick was happy just touring with Dave.

In fairness the Nick he's done well to carve out a late career with his new band but I got the impression he waited and waited until it was absolutely clear there was no PF reunion coming of any kind.

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Before Covid-19 it seemed like Paul McCartney was on the road for 10 straight years..

markreed likes this.
  20. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

feels longer when you hear his god awful xmas song lol

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Is it better then Bob Dylan’s Xmas music? Lol

22. Levi's Tubs

Nick's Saucerful band was my favorite thing that came out last year. Bummer that Covid came along as they were prepared to do a new set. I hope they get a chance to do at least one more tour/concert album.

23. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

no idea never heard his xmas song offerings lmao

24. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

even when David & Roger met again at Bray Studio's there was still tension there as you can tell it was awkward

25. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Here in the UK the reunion with Roger was massive news - one thing that stood out was how weak Roger's vocals were live on the night, he really crocked along to the verse he sung in Wish You Were Here, no doubt David wasn't going to let him use his backing tapes that he uses on his own tours.

Shame it was only 4 songs, one of which is Money which is in my list of all time dirges. But Comfortably Numb and Breathe were majestic.