Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I thought the line was “a distant ship’s smoke on the horizon”

Billy_Sunday, jl151080, ARK and 5 others like this.
  3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

According to the original artwork, it's 'A distant ship smoke on the horizon'. No apostrophes, no commas.

4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

5. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

You're right. But not 'shipsmoke' anyway, which is how it sounds to me.

6. One should not rely too heavily on the original artwork, as it was not altered to reflect the last minute sequence changes that Bob and Roger decided on for the final mix.

If you have early an release of the Records the lyrics to What Shall We Do Now appear after Goodbye Blue Sky, with Empty Spaces appearing before Another Brick in The Wall (Part 3) on Side 2's sleeve notes.

On Side 3 Hey You is the closing track coming after Comfortably Numb also the lyrics are incomplete as the reprise of the phrase Is There Anybody Out There? in Bring The Boys Back Home which was actually included on the Echoes (Compilation) version of Comfortably Numb.

Not sure if later releases were updated.

Although it was/is "A distant ship smoke on the horizon".

I remember that line in the song vividly because I was on my first job and to get to it I had to travel on the West Cumbria Line;
    the trainline ran down the coast and you could usually see a distant ship smoke on the horizon.

[​IMG]

7. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Were you going to Sellafield?

8. No, went one stop past it to Seascale, my first posting after University.

Sellafield probably better known internationally as Calder Hall (1st Nuclear Power Station to supply the National Grid) or even Windscale (Fuel Re-processing Plant).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Ricky Lampoon likes this.
  9. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Still missing on the 1994 CD. I wrote it in myself, imitating the overall handwriting :angel:

10. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the smoke is from the ship and is visible on the horizon but the ship itself isn't. They are passing far from each other which is the point of the song.

11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Lovely. Must be a great view during that train ride.

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I’ll be psyched to add the knebworth vinyl release next to my Later Years box!

13. I never tired of it, the journey was just long enough to listen to the whole of The Wall on my Walkman.

Although some days the weather was so good, and clear, it was enough just to stare out the window.

ropiyas, zinan, Choba b CCCP and 4 others like this.
  14. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Now it’s ‘wind turbines on the horizon’ on that train route.

ARK, Buddybud and croquetlawns like this.
  15. For those who skipped this box set, which is now OOP...

With today's release of Live at Knebworth 1990 on CD, Download and Record you can now download (the equivalent of) all 5 CDs from The Later Years.

16. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

For anyone that had issues with discs was the record label able to replace any specific discs?

Only asking because I am buying a new sealed box set but what happens once I open it and a disc is bad. Really care about the Blu-Ray discs more than anything

but i figure those are easier to clean or have harder time scratching possibly.

17. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

I had to send two back to Amazon to have a decent set. Manufacturer didn't get involved.

18. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

I’m lucky so far.

A local Record store had one in stock brand new, mint outer box. Original store price was 473.99 but was marked at $400.00 and 20% off store sale got it for about $330.00

I kept hoping the blu-rays would be fine.
    So far I’ve sampled Pulse, and the Disc 6 with the multiple albums, the Venice concert disc and now the bonus disc with the Pulse rehearsal footage and music videos and all are playing fine and all the discs look good even the Cds

It really is a nice box set, a bit overpriced for what some of the asking prices have been but I’d say for the Multi channel HD audio and PCM options on the Blu-Ray discs it has been worth every penny.

i have all the immersion box sets and the Division Bell box set, which is shocking most were released 10+ years ago.

Of course I really want a massive box set for The Wall and an Animals box set with blu-ray audio.

i wonder which will happen first?!

19. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

I watched Delicate Sound of Thunder blu-ray in the dts HD 5.1 96K audio option.

I’ve seen PULSE many times. This was my first ever viewing of Delicate Sound of Thunder. I love that this concert was shot on actual film! PULSE suffers for it. That being said I do prefer the concert of PULSE over Delicate Sound of Thunder.

the image quality I felt was really good for Delicate, I would have preferred a little more grain… but it seems to look wonderful.

audio was great no disappointment there.

having never seen the original edit from VHS I don’t know what changes were made

others who have seen Delicate multiple times since its release would probably have more to add on that subject.

20. Starship73

Starship73 Forum Resident

I sent two boxes back too

Hattipper likes this.
  21. unclecuddles

unclecuddles Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, I just watched Pulse and it reminded me how much I used to love Sam Brown - she looked stunning (particularly in Pulse) and had a great voice and I wonder why she wasn't more successful than she was as a solo artist? I loved "Stop!" which was a pretty big hit back in the day and I think she did a cover of "Can I get a Witness", but don't recall much else after that, or seeing her doing anything else in recent years. I knew her mother Vicki was from Liverpool (my home town) and Vicki was also a back vocalist for Pink Floyd, Roger and Dave in the 70s & 80s, and of course Sam's father is Joe Brown who is well known to the older generation in the UK as a cockney Rock 'n' Roller and all round entertainer who had a few hits in the 60s but was always on the TV in the 70s and 80s when I was growing up (I think he is still going now, or was before the lockdown!).

Just Googled her and it looks like she had two relatively successful albums in her early 20s but was then understandably heavily impacted by the loss of her mother, which led to her third solo album being pulled and a dispute with her label and I guess she just lost momentum after that (backing vocals aside). Sadly she lost her voice in 2007 when she was only in her early 40s and had cysts removed but her voice never recovered. Very sad...

22. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

I think Sam and her mother are on the new PF Knebworth LP

JulesRules and Darren Richardson like this.
  23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I didn't know that. Sad. Love her second album April Moon. David Gilmour does a great vocal on the track Troubled Soul.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

The ever so wonderful Sam Brown.

25. She bought back the rights from A&M and released 43 Minutes in 1993 on her own label Pod Music having refused to record a cover version of a song to get a hit single; she told the Windsor Star in 1994: "I made a creative decision that I'd rather have artistic fulfillment than financial success."

Four years later she released her fourth album Box in 1997 on Demon Records, which many consider her best work to date.

She recorded two further albums ReBoot (2000) and Of The Moment (2007).

Brown currently runs the International Ukulele Club of Sonning Common, the North London Ukulele Collective and the People's Ukulele Brigade (PUB). Brown is also a patron of Tech Music Schools in London, made up of Vocaltech, Guitar-X, Keyboardtech and Drumtech.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    croquetlawns likes this.