Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

By the same token, Jon also has no reason not to overstate his involvement. It's not as if Rick can counter it. The fact you don't hear much Rick on the post-Waters doesn't mean it isn't Rick. More that to your ears, it doesn't sound like him. On the basis of what we can prove from the Endless River DVD, Jon was playing second keys on most of the writing sessions for TDB/TER ; how much of that was him being an extra pair of hands and how much of it was creative, I'm not sure it'll ever be 100% known.

2. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

Next comment from JC will be that he was playing on the Barn Jam videos and RW was mimicking.

</sarcasm>

3. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

Fair enough, I'm not disputing the price/content disparity but you know what I meant - the fact that some of the previously officially unreleased material is unofficially available if you go hunting for it should never stop a band from being able to release it themselves.

Glad you got a more reasonably priced set anyway!

markreed likes this.
  4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Yes I’m not buying that he has no agenda and just setting the record straight. I’d bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle

moodyxadi, JulesRules, obi and 2 others like this.
  5. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

It’s also reasonable to maybe assume that Carin wasn’t there a lot of the time while the others were. He many not actually know every single damn thing that happened.

6. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Always.

fishcane likes this.
  7. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

And with a track like Great Gig, all those themes are still there even without Roger’s lyrics ….

8. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Jon is now saying he wrote and played guitar on Marooned o_O

9. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Q: so... what did rick actually play on this song?

JC: Rick isn’t on this track.

Runicen and aphexj like this.
  10. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

"Anyway, why do we care about my humble Reso-Lectric?
    Because it’s the one I used to write & play on Pink Floyd’s song Marooned, which unbelievably won a Grammy ( back in the days when managers were able to pull rabbits out of hats [​IMG][​IMG]).
    But wait, it’s more complicated than that.
    Tech heads, here you go…"

NunoBento and Runicen like this.
  11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

He's saying the 30-sec intro before the main guitar solo enters is based on a piece he made with samples of resonator guitar harmonics played on Kurzweil keyboard. That's different; and when I listen to it in isolation, sounds perfectly plausible

He continues:

"What I did was to play harmonics on the guitar and sample every note I could, through a Korg A3 multi-fx unit that is doing the panning swirling stuff.
    Then I played it through further FX algorithms on the Kurzweil K2000 keyboard.
    So, the first 30 seconds of the song is just me alone playing an ambient piece I wrote for a record I was making at the time that happened to be in the same key but, of course, didn’t come out, instead ending up on a P.F. record.
    The sound then continues throughout the whole of Marooned.
    You can hear it bending and swooping all the way through.
    I also played the grand piano ( the Fazioli at Metropolis Studios ), B3 and other synths on this song, too."

On the comments someone brings up "Great Day for Freedom" and Jon responds that "it was a leftover piece from Monetary Lapse"

12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Did he really say Monetary Lapse? :help: But it's not the first time I've heard that. I've also heard it linked to "Peace Be With You", although Ron seems to have refuted that. It is definitely an odd one on TDB.
    At least that answers the question who plays that bit. Claiming a writing credit for 30 seconds is bizarre considering Rick didn't get one for the intro of "Sheep" (which is much longer) and similar examples throughout the catalog.
    I still don't get who made the decision to not let Rick play on this song, and why - after all he did come up with the original chord sequence, boring as it may be (except for the bits at the end). I can't really fathom how it must've felt for Rick to basically be reinstated as a full band member, get writing credits and a lead vocal but then to basically be absent from half the album, and especially a song that is co-credited to him and built around the guitar/piano interplay so anybody listening would assume it's David and Rick. No wonder he threatened to pull out of the album altogether. :rolleyes:

Edit: FWIW, the Wikipedia article has a lot of differing information. I remember a forum member claiming the Wikipedia info is accurate since it comes from some specific source.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  13. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Contrary to popular belief and the official version of the Pink Floyd history, Rick has never been reinstated as a full band member. Pink Floyd (1987) Ltd has always been and is still owned by David & Nick only.

14. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

It all comes down to how generous or domineering the other songwriter is.

Runicen likes this.
  15. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I guess it depends on how you define "full band member". On AMLOR his name is at the top of the guest list, and he doesn't feature in the photo sessions. With TDB there are three big printed names, three guys doing all the promo and the stuff I mentioned above like him getting writing credits and a vocal.
    Ownership of a company isn't all there is... otherwise you could make all kinds of outrageous claims about Syd & David.

Edit: I've found a quote that addresses this issue, see here.
    I still get the distinct feeling he's trying to talk Rick down. On Reddit, somebody has collected a lot of his comments and he conveniently leaves out Rick's sampled piano on "Cluster One" and claims things like Rick not playing anything on "Shine On" live except the lead - what did Rick do when he didn't have a solo, sleep? Anyone can watch the videos and see that he's not really being accurate.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  16. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

That's exactly what I mean with "official version of the Pink Floyd history"

aphexj likes this.
  17. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Is the cleaner complaining about the architect again?

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

NunoBento likes this.
  19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The answer fudges it a bit because Rick does play Hammond, but no synths except the lead soloist parts of "Shine On". That's been true of all onstage arrangements of it since 1987 — the On An Island tour included (and Roger's tours, where the second keyboard player would add Hammond as well)

The "sampled piano" on "Cluster One" you're speaking of... is a MIDI sequence. Nobody is playing it except a machine

20. Mark in Minnesota

Mark in Minnesota Forum Resident

I read a lot of this stuff in this thread. My only opinion of the Carin thing is that Rick isn't here to defend himself and Gilmour is silent on the matter.

JulesRules and croquetlawns like this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Probably because it might be true....

22. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

I remember the other day, Carin made a comment about Nick's group as well.

According to Carin, it was his idea / suggestion that Nick should play old Floyd songs, and he was responsible with Nick getting together with one of the current ASoS members (don't remember now).

Next thing he will be claiming ownership of songs from DG solo albums...

zinan, moodyxadi, bobloblaw and 4 others like this.
  23. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Maybe he just wasn't there in the studio the day they recorded it. As I understand, they were rarely there all together.

It was the Seventies, that kind of crediting just didn't happen.

But to have a midi sequence you need somebody to lay it down. It doesn't make itself. I've done lots of MIDI music but I was the one to hit the keys in the first place. I just recorded the performance instead of the direct sound.

ARK and JulesRules like this.
  24. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Who said Elvis, The Beatles, Dylan (insert artist of choice here) were the most important pop-rock musical influence of the 20th century? - it's clearly Carin....

25. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

They should redo his credit as John Karen.