Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Any reason to hold onto the original fatboy DSOT double CD? I have the Later Years Big Box and wonder if there is anything unique about the original or can I pull it from my collection? Any help would be appreciated.

Have original Pulse too but I’ll be keeping that as I have the blinking light collectors case.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Maybe they didn't want to put it on because some bits of it were recycled for The Endless River (mostly in "Unsung"). Having said that, it still should have been there. Between this, La Carrera Panamericana and the "Man of Customs" demo(s) there really seems to be quite a bit quality material missing.
    Bingo.
    And that is why I'm getting my "knickers in a twist": Anyone listening to TDB would've assumed the piano was played by Rick (especially since he co-wrote the track) and wondered why the hell that piano accompaniment is so generic.
    Oh, and it's not just that. Nick also sounds much more inspired and "more Nick" on this demo.
    The bass solo in "Money"...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  3. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

Also a little bit of Hammond from the one-who-shall-not-be-named and some ooh-ahs from the girls.

JulesRules likes this.
  4. Scancom

Scancom Well-Known Member

It would be awesome to announce Wright's solo albums reissue. But, unfortunately...

5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It would be great to get Wright's solo output in a little box like Mason's Unattended Luggage.

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I usually don’t like duplication in my collection but anything labeled PF stays in the collection unless it’s a dud or it’s damaged. I’ve got heavily burnt in the past for selling japanese PF vinyl… :shake:

In DSOT case, it is a different album with a different master. Different enough to keep the original release. Did the same with 90’s Doug Sax masters after they have released 2011 remasters.

ARK, zinan, rontoon and 2 others like this.
  7. Mark in Minnesota

Mark in Minnesota Forum Resident

Gotta wait for Carin's approval since he played them. :evil:

ARK, croquetlawns, zinan and 3 others like this.
  8. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

The mix on the original one is better. Well, at least for me.

9. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

Broken China would be a vastly different album if it wasn't for Carin's involvement in songwriting, arranging and performing.

Mark in Minnesota and rontoon like this.
  10. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

On the topic of Rick, Jon posted some nice photos for the former's birthday yesterday. Nothing bad here, but an interesting reply to a commenter's post:

Commenter: [Rick] always struck me as being such a gentleman. I always felt that he had so much more to do with the Pink Floyd sound than many people realized.

Jon Carin: I think his contributions between 67-77 are quite well known & certainly easy to hear.

coffeetime likes this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

A backhanded compliment from Karen Carin. :doh:

12. Billy Infinity

Agreed.

At this point, I'm not really sure what JC's aim is with all of this.

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I mean, c'mon. Even if Rick's involvement in the post-Waters era was less than we thought, his signature sound is all over The Wall.

14. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

He might be bitter, maybe it has to do with money. I’m speculating of course…

Billy Infinity likes this.
  15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

He may just be living up to his nickname/reputation as well.

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Why can't we all be nice and swallow the party line?

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Day one buy for me.

18. Billy Infinity

I own two copies of Broken China on CD (US and UK), but I'd love to see that album show up on streaming services. Imagine a whole new generation of listeners listening to that beautiful album for the first time - particularly the fans who already love Wish You Were Here and The Division Bell.

19. Mark in Minnesota

It would be nice if Gilmour was involved to make sure Rick's solo output is taken care of and reissued/remastered. Of course, there's issue of a solo album he was working on. Maybe get that put together in the best way possible even though incomplete and package that with all of Rick's other solo albums. I only have Broken China, so I'd also be a day one buyer.

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I already own Wet Dream and Broken China (no interest in Zee), but having those two reissued on streaming at least would be nice

It's bizarre that Broken China's never been on 2xLP as it seems tailor made for the format (four roughly equal-length movements)

21. Scancom

Scancom Well-Known Member

I think that Richard's albums could be sold very well these days, if with a good advertising. It was hard to sell a solo album in 1978, but now? And I mean advertising on the PF Facebook page, of course. Even Roger wants to be on the PF Facebook page.

22. Mark in Minnesota

Well, things always seem to change after someone dies. Usually the powers-that-be milk that stuff every time.

The_Windmill likes this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Rick died almost 13 years ago. You'd think that cow would be dry by now.

ARK, PhoffiFozz, zinan and 2 others like this.
  24. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It's a shame that nothing has been done with the material yet.

25. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

I'll comment here instead of in the Animals thread:

Over the weekend I noticed that PBS stations are showing Venice during their pledge drives and offering a standalone CD and DVD as rewards for donations. That's no guarantee of similar releases for sale, since they've done this sort of thing before with promo releases. But it makes me wonder...