Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Wow, awesome tracklist. Might have to pick this vinyl up!

2. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Early bird price was only for a few hours. Gotta be quick!

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

No new tracks on the Delicate Sound of Thunder video release, though they appear to have expanded Shine On to the complete performance at the beginning rather than the abbreviated version with a reprise at the end. No Welcome to the Machine, Yet Another Movie or Terminal Frost.

jonnyslb likes this.
  4. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

ARK likes this.
  5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I am now renaming this box!

6. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

So I’m gonna get the highlights cd or vinyl first ..and wait for a good deal on the box set..it’s priced way too high... too much repetition, duplication, and as discussed ,too much missing .. what a shame

dtuck90, Luisboa and serj like this.
  7. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

The Early Years, minus a couple of minor flaws, is a real treasure trove, and shows how rapidly the band was progressing in a short amount of time. The restored early footage is outstanding, and they didn't hold much back audio wise. There's a ton of versions of Saucerful of Secrets and Careful with that Axe Eugene, but you can hear how they revamp and remold the old songs as their sound was progressing.

I love the later years era to death, but there isn't much unique unseen/unheard material here. It's cool that they put out previously unreleased live material, but it's not too different to how the same songs were performed on Thunder & Pulse. I was really hoping for Peace Be With You, Momentary Demos and the LCP soundtrack, just for completion sakes. I'm an avid collector of unreleased audio, and there's not much here that's catching my eye. Any Floyd track with "Blues" in the title sounds like the same exact jam that they've been doing since the 60s, and I'd be shocked if these jams are any different.

That being said, I'll be buying the Highlights vinyl, and eventually the big box once there's a reasonable price tag on it.

Thanks Ron for you invaluable input and thoughts regarding these releases.

Esperanzan, zinan, Sytze and 12 others like this.
  8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It's so interesting that AMLOR has been "remade" with more Wright and new Mason drums. Very cool! More Floyd on that record is better, and it's really amazing that they went to those lengths to achieve that. Kudos to them.

Also, very cool to have the "Arnold Lane" 2007 performance on a 45. Pretty sweet.

St. Troy, soundQman, zinan and 4 others like this.
  9. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

2 original albums and 1 instrumental in 32 years, and they manage to make an 18 disc box set from it!

I think ‘The Wilderness Years’ would be a better title.

Rich C, Echoes71, Frans T and 10 others like this.
  10. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

I was very excited for this release, right up until I saw the price. £400 is far too much given the content on offer. A price in the region of £200 would be more appropriate, given that so little of the content is 'new' - instead a large part of it is remixed/remastered content we are all familiar with. Personally, for me, I was most looking forward to the updated Momentary Lapse of Reason album, as this is one of my favourite Pink Floyd albums. I can't justify buying the entire box set for this alone. I hope very much that individual elements of the box set become available separately - particularly AMLOR Remix and the Delicate Sound of Thunder BluRay. The rest I could live without, but those two elements I would like to see and hear.

While the single disc set contains some good content - I am surprised they did not make this a double album, with AMLOR Remix as CD1, and a 'Best Of' Later Years as CD2. Or, the two CDs, with a BluRay of the restored concert film. Even if that package was somewhere in the region of £80, I would be interested in purchasing it.

11. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

I’m with Ron on this one. For what we have been offered £429 is way, way too much. And the stuff left out was an easy win. I would be paying that for one remixed Cd, a blu Ray with that cd in 5.1, a restored concert video, a couple of new concerts with an almost identical track list, a handful of unreleased noodlings and some documentaries that I might watch once. Call it three Blu-rays, two CDs. £150 maybe, not £429.

Luisboa, drum_cas, Azza200 and 2 others like this.
  12. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I just canceled my pre-order at Amazon and gave the reason as 'Item Price Too High'.

I'll wait and see.

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Jerry Horne likes this.
  14. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Looking forward to the highlights disc!

ARK and aphexj like this.
  15. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

If an independent like What Records can sell at £344 and make a profit then there is plenty of room for manouevre from the various Amazons.

ARK and aphexj like this.
  16. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

I am not pre ordering it yet unless the price goes down to something more realistic i like this era but the price tag does not justify this release £200 max it should be rrp

Incredulous_Observer and aphexj like this.
  17. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

“We call it riding the gravy train”

18. street legal

street legal Senior Member

A bargain? Nah. Maybe $100 would be a bargain for this. Maybe.

Luisboa, vikerii and aphexj like this.
  19. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

I've still pre-ordered at Amazon UK, Italy, France and Germany in case one of them has a significant price drop in the next 3 months. It could be brief and while you are away from the internet, so at least it's locked in if it happens.

coffeetime likes this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm a bit behind some things here. The official announcement happened already? Thought that's tomorrow?
    Btw, respect to all the guys who gonna buy the big set.
    Unfortunately my monthly budget for music purchases is 200 bucks, so I hope there's a chance individual releases are planned.

21. floydophile

floydophile Well-Known Member

Is there an EPK available already?

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The only things I want that aren't on the highlights disc are the restored DSOT and the "Arnold Layne" 2007 performance video. That's literally it

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hope the price for the King Crimson box set isn't too high. That's another set I'd like to have as well.

coffeetime likes this.
  24. ries

ries Forum Resident

yeah this is way above my budget, I will pick up the seperate DSOT and Pulse blurays IF they ever come out. I hope also Venice gets a seperate release but this will prolly be a boxset exclusive.

25. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Is the Delicate Sound of Thunder film re-edited from the scratch?

bhazen likes this.