Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Plus there's the mad mullet sax player, for comic relief.

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Not me. My PF interest begins and ends with Syd period. I don't think I've heard the Gilmour era LPs outside of the hits.

If the edit window is open feel free to delete the reference to me, I have a reputation to maintain lol.

3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Yeah, too late now. You will be remembered as a prime defender of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" :D

hiterss, oneslip17 and Deek57 like this.
  4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

:laugh: :winkgrin:

Nightswimmer and hiterss like this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

TWDS

;)

6. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

According to one source anyways, but that probably doesn't account for the handful of tracks that appear on the deluxe edition. There's 5 instrumental demos from 1993 that appear on several bootlegs, and all of them appear on the Endless River, except for one that sounds very Don't Leave Me Now-ish.

RangerXT, Hattipper and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

During the show I saw at Giants Stadium, most of the lights were turned down during his solo (probably Money). There was a spotlight behind him which cast his silhouette over the whole crowd on the floor. That was a very cool effect.
    I didn’t learn about the mullet until I saw the DSOT video later.

8. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Yep that is exactly the same for me too, i got into PF thru watching Pulse back in 2002 always have liked this era. I have always wanted a boxset like this with offical releases of Venice & Knebworth and DSOT re-edited all happened with this boxset. Yet the price is a big **** you to me it is. Absurd overpriced set does not justify it.

The expanded DSOT live albums is a massive bonus too as i have always wanted a complete DSOT album

Leigh Burne, RangerXT and NunoBento like this.
  9. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

10. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

David playing Zeppelin :D

11. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

I just realized they've left off The Fishermen featuring The Black Knight!! The nerve!

Hattipper and oneslip17 like this.
  12. Muppet

Muppet Brain the size of a Planet.

Price went down on amazon Canada to just over $475

13. mooncusser2k

The Highlights single CD is down to $9.66 at Amazon US.

ARK likes this.
  14. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

This thread is worthless without pictures

15. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

So that'll be my last downer's post on this thread. I'm quite bitter about how this seems like a missed opportunity.

What's missing from a boxset like this isn't even more live shows since they weren't on improv mode at that stage (except, of course, for the mighty David Gilmour) but precious live cuts that stood out of their usual setlists, rare and outsanding live versions, rehearsals, one-offs if there were any and so forth. Some people are willing to pay for ten times the (relatively) same thing. I'm not. Mind you, I'm perfectly happy with 20 Careful With That Axe on TEY because they're like jazz, they groove on a definite frame but they go on different directions every time. They surprise you.
    What's cruelly missing from TLY isn't only Peace Be With You, it's a decent selection of studio stuff. One has to wonder for how long David's Blues or Rick's Boogie (whatevs) go for since the outtakes CD only has 12 songs. And live ones included! I'm alright with the fact than an artist doesn't want to release some obscure stuff, that one wants to be its own judge and have control over its legacy but to release a boxset like this and just tease - I mean come on! Just release separate boxes: Remixes, 5.1 mixes, Live shows collection and...? PROFIT!!!
    This isn't how a boxset should be done. For all its flaws, TEY is a mightily satisfying set. It tells a story. Without even listening to this set, I feel like I already know the story by heart. And it isn't a very exciting one.

ARK, petercl, BillyShears and 13 others like this.
  16. triply

triply Forum Resident

I'm new here, but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone call David, Richard, Jon and Guy "cute"!!

17. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

With Gilmour pulling or omitting various rare tracks and outtakes from the new box set, I just realized that had he been involved with the '67 Floyd, we might never have gotten Beechwoods, Scream, Veg Man (mixed unsatisfactorily, I know, but still), or the 1965 demos at all on TEY...

St. Troy, ARK, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
  18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Agreed and a good rant. I am at coffee - Floyd a massive global brand (not a misspelling they are now a brand not a band). Most folk in here will have heard of Pink Floyd. I doubt any of them could name a track on A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
    Back to this TLY box - is the price coming down?

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

"Sorrow", "One Slip", "Learning to Fly", "Yet Another Movie", "On the Turning Away"...?

St. Troy, Billy Infinity, ARK and 8 others like this.
  20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Well that is more than I could name! I am not going to ask the good folk here though.

21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Come on. Everybody knows, at the very least, "Learning To Fly". It was a hit.

St. Troy, ARK, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I always wondered who the phrase "mad lad" was coined after. Now I know.

ARK, bobloblaw and NunoBento like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Not really. Still somewhere between 400 and 500 bucks. Let's carry on waiting... or dreaming. I prefer dreaming. ;)

Flaming Torch and NunoBento like this.
  24. mooncusser2k

?? The big set has been at $341.33 at Amazon US for a few days now. Big drop from the original $475.

Lownote30 likes this.
  25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Dutch bol.com has it at a whopping €539... and TEY can be yours for (cough) €629...

mc9 and drum_cas like this.