Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Very cool and for a good cause

Larry Schmidt and OAI like this.
  2. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

When it gets down to £100 I might consider it.[/QUOTE]

You and lots of other people seem to think that this box is like an auction or offer at Ebay where you have a (limited)influence on price!

This is not the case!

Deek57, Luisboa, PDK and 2 others like this.
  3. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Well I hope everybody interested in this box eventually gets it for a price they are happy with.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    JulesRules, Pinknik, Sean and 5 others like this.
  4. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Oh but it is.

JulesRules, Jack, Luisboa and 2 others like this.
  5. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

We, mere peasants, are simply unworthy of such a grandiose anthology, hence its prohibitive cost :shrug:

6. floydophile

floydophile Well-Known Member

Stimmt m.E. nicht, Joachim, sehe ich total anders.

For me, Joachim' statement is very bold and trolling ... I (and I guess a lot of other people too) have the funds, but in this particular case, I am simply not willing to follow the market forces. Of course, other people may do so (that's ok with me too, if for them the value of the box is justifying their buy-decision).

JulesRules, erowid, rcrawley and 7 others like this.
  7. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

You find totally reasonable to buy this box for the price they ask and then to find out in a couple of years that half of the discs are unplayable?

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It's a limited edition. Because there is a limited amount of time where the blurays work.

9. floydophile

floydophile Well-Known Member

:D:D:D That's a good one

BeatleJWOL, jocke1234, fjtull and 2 others like this.
  10. NunoBento

Hilarious. Have you looked into my wallet? Or the other forum members? These are people who are willing to spend all their earnings (and the more they had) in music. Take a look around the forum and pay attention to the amounts of money people spend. This is not a case of having "the funds available". It's a case of blatant ripoff. Specially when it was 430£.

Speaking for myself, I would happily spend the 430£, or even 1000£, if the content justified it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  11. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

12. NunoBento

13. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

formu_la, aphexj, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
  14. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

I don't want to defend this (insanely high priced) release, but this is so much different than the Early Years - that was indeed an outtake collection.

This is mostly an upgrade of already available material (DSOT, AMLOR, Pulse), as well as official release of some heavily bootlegged ones (Knebworth, Venice). The only outtakes are 5 unreleased 1994 recordings.

15. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Quite, and the 1987 ones (Peace Be With You, One Slip, the Jon Carin demo of Learning To Fly) are sorely missed.

16. How about adding something that features a couple of the “Members” of PF in that era: DG & Guy Pratt?

Deep Cover: Grand Central Station. :D

J/k, but I still would like a clean copy of that at some point.

17. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

The Learning to Fly demo is on Youtube - even worse than what appeared on Momentary Lapse...can't see anyone actually wanting to pay for it in all honesty.

St. Troy likes this.
  18. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

I don't think it is about which is a better version, not for me anyway, it's more about seeing how a song came to be, the genesis of it. Sure this demo isn't going to move you musically but it shows me what Jon brought to the table and how David's guitar pulled together the final version. I have to believe something similiar exists for all of the songs released during this "Later Years" period. Releasing said songs in their early states would have made a lot of us very happy to open our wallets. One of many missed opportunities imo.

19. vikerii

vikerii Well-Known Member

Lol funny. Had the set contained Peace Be With You and other outtakes, I would have preordered it already, no question. No matter how much money any of us have, people don't like overpaying for things.

Mr Gilmour has the right to reduce the value of the product. We have the right to say "no thanks".

JulesRules, NunoBento and RangerXT like this.
  20. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Isn't the early version of "High Hopes" still on here or did that get pulled too?

21. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

It must still be on there since I just heard the track on Spotify last week.

22. That doesn’t really seem like a demo, just an instrumental snippet. There’s not a fully formed song there. Still, I like what I hear and can see how it evolved into the final version—especially the reverberated hand clap/wood block-sounding snare. Brings me back to 1987, that’s for sure—high school memories!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. gershbec

gershbec Forum Resident

Around $335 at deepdiscount. Use code 65BT4X2D3 for 10% off. A few bucks for shipping but almost down to $300. Oh, and tax.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  24. Tubak

Tubak Well-Known Member

25. zinan

zinan Forum Resident