Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I bet there's some good live stuff pre Waters exit.......My interest lies here because I doubt anything great from the studio remains.

Philrock90 likes this.
  2. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I sold my Early Years box. Not the contents. The box itself. Way too bulky. I've got the 7 editions in their case in my music room and that's good enough for me.

3. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

No doubt we have all probably covered what will be in TLY boxset now they just need to hurry up and announce it

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I never wanted the detritus. Just the music. Bought the first 4 segments and am happy.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  5. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Isn't it a shame that we don't have The Great Gig up to now. It is by far the best live version of this song ever. It took me a lot of effort to extract audio from my VHS tape in the old days and I never was satisfied with the result. THIS is a must for the new box! The other one is Welcome To The Machine.

6. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I am pretty sure there are good Momentary Lapse and Division Bell demos that could be included.
    On the Secret Rareties bootleg there are some very interesting demos from the 1993 sessions, some clearly used on The Endless River but some are still unreleased :)

Rooster_Ties, rontoon and NunoBento like this.
  7. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

This box would be the perfect chance to release a couple of these 1994 shows! Let's hope.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

I'm not familiar with their live shows from AMLOR and TDB tours except from the official releases and Knebworth. Save for the last solo in Comfortably Numb and the intro for Run Like Hell, are there any major differences between shows, enough to justify multiple discs?

9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

As far as the period between the Early Years / Gilmour years goes there are still things like the OBC 5.1, Meddle 5.1 and Animals 5.1 out there as well as Wall / Final Cut era, I suppose.

When can we expect an official announcement for the Later Years box?

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Somehow I thought it will also cover the period of The Endless River. But probably there's not much left from these sessions.
    Well, hope we gonna see some release of The Big Spliff in the set.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    rontoon likes this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

In case the set is coming in the very end of 2019, I guess the announcement will be around July/August.

rontoon and Sevoflurane like this.
  12. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

The setlist didn't change enough to probably justify an extra complete live show, but I'd buy any release containing an alternate live Sorrow or CN from 1994!

rontoon and mastaflatch like this.
  13. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Ah yes, forgot about Sorrow. For me, different shows than the official ones would be a treat - I mentioned them before in this thread but here they are again:
    - Wish You Were Here with Billy Corgan
    - Fat Old Sun and Great Gig in the Sky from Steven O'Rourke's funeral (doubt this will ever be released though)
    - Arnold Layne at the Barbican

I'm much more interested in truly unreleased stuff like studio rehearsals, demos/works in progress, studio jams etc. Gilmour talked about High Hopes demo which was perfect as it was save for the ''tempo that wavered a bit'' - I'd like to hear that becuse he said they might not have been able to capture that same emotion in the official version.
    There must also exist this bunch of songs that were deemed 'not floydian enough'' by the record company before AMLOR... Peace Be with You, etc. This is the stuff that whets my appetite.

Runicen, rontoon and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The TDB tour in 1994 ran two basic setlists with a standard night approach and a Dark Side of The Moon variant (which started from July to the end of the tour). The DSOTM set is the format chosen for both video and audio of Pulse, so yes, there will be a difference with 4-5 songs changing out.

mastaflatch and rontoon like this.
  15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It will cover Endless River. My math was off! :doh: AMLOR, Division Bell and Endless River.
    AFAIK, the 5.1 mixes of OBC and Meddle created by Andy will never see the light of day since these were in James Guthrie's domain.

16. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

So you think there's a good chance that it will most likely include Momentary Lapse in 5.1 by Andy?

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm not at liberty to confirm at this time but it seems like a reasonable assumption. :tiphat:

18. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

That’s a shame IMHO. Andy did The Division Bell 5.1 IIRC and it’s a very nice mix. I’m glad the Meddle mix escaped into the wild too!

Six Bachelors, zinan and rontoon like this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, any chance Guthrie will redo this sometime?

20. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Gutherie takes ages to do mixes on albums he is still working on The Wall 5.1 audio he is known to work at a snails pace. Even if we don't get the complete Knebworth 90 show, i hope they at least include Sorrow, Comfortably Numb & RLH. CN solo from Knebworth is one of David's best imo the offical knebworth live album is mixed poor, its good that its on there but i would love to hear it mixed better & Sorrow from Knebworth is awesome

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Gilmour performed some great solos at Knebworth but I've never been a fan of Candy Dulfer's sax playing or Claire Torrey's horrendous vocals on Great Gig in the Sky. Painful! :yikes:

22. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Been a while since I've listened to the Knebworth show.
    I have it on Vinyl and SD-Blu-ray.
    Hope it will be included on the box set.

Azza200 likes this.
  23. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I dont think i've really fully enjoyed a live version of great gig as for gilmour solos i still think his pompeii show is one of the best hes ever played its like the man gets even better as hes older

Billy_Sunday and Azza200 like this.
  24. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

I agree Gilmour's playing was on top form that night, Yeah Great Gig that night was awful and the worst version ever along with Venice 89's IMO The best Great Gig from that era is 1994's they all got it spot on that tour Sam Brown was brilliant

SilverCheek, TheKevster and rontoon like this.
  25. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The problem with Pompeii was the consent band member changes did not help & by Pompeii they had not gelled together at that point, that's why it comes across as a rough and not a tight performance compared to RTN. Yet by the time i saw David in September they were all on top form by that point. They should of at least filmed those last RAH shows as back up footage.

The SA bonus songs you can tell its a well gelled tight band compared to the main performance where they are finding their feet with each other
    By the time i saw them in September they was on top form and David's playing was some of his best playing from the entire tour.

2006 was his best tour.

TheKevster and Billy_Sunday like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.