Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Having been to Their Mortal Remains exhibition, the Live 8 surround video of Comfortably Numb was an incredibly powerful close to that experience. Be nice if this box set replicates it

2. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Watching on TV at the time, seeing all four playing together on stage brought quite a tear to the eye. Would be lovely to have those few fantastic minutes of musical reconciliation as part of the set.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Would be great to have the Live8 concert on the set. But... they need permission by Waters first, somehow I think the set will be completely Waters-free.

4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I can see it being in the set. Roger has mellowed and I can’t see him being against it

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  5. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Yes i have a feeling you're right.
    But since there's a picture of good old Roger I just thought there could be a slight chance.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I suspect it all depends on what his cut of sales would be. It is always about the money.

7. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Yes, but with cooperation of Roger they could include the Final Cut video EP as well. It is 80s material plus that the Final Cut is becoming an orphan between the Wall immersion and the later years box.

And we know already that will not be the case.

8. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

It's a gas ;)

siveld and Zack like this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Roger hasn't mellowed enough to just let this go and David may not want any of Roger included in this release including Live 8.

10. The pictures of Rog navigating through NYC, incognito recently, gives me hope he's finally nearing the stage before death of at least trying to let go. He really enjoyed himself jamming with G.E. Smith on his birthday in that club a number of years back. PF business and loggerheads with Gilmour may never quell to any measurable level, but as a human being, I hope he's attaining some sort of ongoing happiness and mellowness.

11. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

What pics?

12. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Don't give me that . . . oh never mind. :D

siveld likes this.
  13. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It always seemed to me that Roger and Nick enjoyed the reunion and David and Rick didn’t. I think Live 8 being in this set will ultimately be down to what David wants. Which to be honest is sad as it’s all part of the story.

14. They were on TMZ or something. I had found them by accident. Someone was following him around NYC on the subway and on the streets. He even smiled and he petted someone's dog on the subway. I think it was just after getting back from the end of his tour. I'm sure you can find them on the Google.

15. Zack

Zack Senior Member

It was a breaking story in the Daily News headlined "Roger Waters Seen Riding the Subway." I admit he's kind of rich for that mode of transport.

[​IMG]

16. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

How much involvement has David & Nick had in the process of this Box set?

@dtuck90 I think David enjoyed Live 8 just behind the scenes he was not in the mood for arguments with Roger, Also over the last couple of years Roger has said negative stuff again about David & the others in a few interviews

17. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

If it's good enough for Keanu it's good enough for Rog.

BeatleJWOL, Michael Rose and hiterss like this.
  18. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Come on, it’s the best and fastest way to go around in NYC!

It has nothing to do with $... It’s all about common sense...

19. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Cool - cool stuff. Rog is the man.

Pink Floyd founder Roger Waters seen riding the subway

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  20. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

Wonder if those guys to his left recognized him....My guess is no.

21. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Where is the Live 8 pic mentioned from earlier?

22. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

The fact the band put out a Division Bell box set with so little new content, followed by The Endless River, which is absolutely the definition of “re-heated leftovers”, as an actual album, and fans are drooling at the prospect of yet another box set covering the same era, is pretty amazing to me. I’m a huge fan of the band, very much enjoyed The Early Years, but am hard pressed to see what more we need from this era of the band. A few missing live tracks maybe, AMLOR in 5.1. I’ll wait and see what they do with it, but the band has stretched whatever goodwill they’ve earned about as far as they can at this point.

23. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Interesting point of view but is the box content timeframe confirmed somehow? You seem to suggest that the box will only cover 3 albums: AMLOR, TDB & TER.

24. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I’m just going by the rumor that it will focus on the post-Waters era. No idea if it’s really the case, but the fervor seems based on that expectation.

Another point of comparison: TEY covered 7-8 albums of material. Expectations are this will cover....2. One of which has already been mined to produce TER and a 5.1 mix.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  25. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought Nick Mason was actually friends with Waters all along, while Wright and Gilmour were, more of less, almost always business associates/band members, so I am sure he was happy to be playing with his old friend again.

My impression was that Gilmour did the Live 8 reunion almost as a favor to Bob Geldoff, and I am sure a part of Gilmour was happy to close the chapter on the Roger/Floyd thing in a mostly good way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.