Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

No, why would I be?

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I'm hyped for a reimagining of AMLOR, but I also enjoy the original; even Terminal Frost. :D

3. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I feel this and I totally agree that AMLOR felt like a refresh reboot I play latter Floyd a lot more than early

4. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

I love the album, but I won't deny that the production techniques was a catching up with the times-BUT-there's a certain charm to that and it stands out in the catalog for being the most "electronic" Floyd album.

I'm interested to hear the remixed version, but like I said before...it's not to replace the original, but offer an alternative as a "What if it happened this way" sort of thing.

I know 80s productions aren't everyone's cup of tea, much like some can't get past the heavy 60's production techniques of Piper and Saucerful, regardless of how ahead of the times they were.

5. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Wait, did I miss something? What's wrong with Terminal Frost? I've always loved it the way it is.

6. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I too am looking for the remix version of momentary. I like the original already but remixed might make me love it!

andrewskyDE, Rooster_Ties and Azza200 like this.
  7. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The dislike of AMLOR comes from die hard Roger fanatics who have a dislike for David and they slate David off and Post Waters Floyd at any chance they can. Yet they think PF is only Roger and he made them successful and he did everything in the 70's. You just have to look at PF facebook page and comments on stuff posted regarding this era the crap people say about David and this era.

TFC i have not played it in years i went thru a stage i played it every day for a week, its good but so depressing and whiny Not Now John is a good song.

St. Troy, KarlFarbman, Chains and 2 others like this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Absolutely nothing! That's just the one track I've heard the most digs about.

Jemspeed and mark winstanley like this.
  9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Not really.

It's because AMLOR had a very brittle overproduced and weak drum sound - and doesn't sound like a band, but a collection of sterile individual performances mashed together.

10. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

It's really not different than many other releases at the time.

I'd also argue that the last Pink Floyd album that sounded like a band was Animals. Parts of The Wall sound like a band, but overall, the album doesn't. And The Final Cut certainly doesn't.

I'm not dissing those albums, I love them all and I love Momentary, Division Bell & Endless River too. But there is definitely a big divide among fans unfortunately.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Same here! Think this and 'Learning To Fly' are my favorite tracks from the album.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Keep your eyes open at the end of this coming week. :)

RangerXT, Azza200, Matt S and 7 others like this.
  13. pinknoisemex

pinknoisemex Forum Resident

De las grandes esperanzas video escultura

14. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Is The Endless River also a reboot?

15. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

That's more a shutting-down / closing session thing ;)

16. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

That’s more should have have been a bonus disc to the Division Bell box set. ;)

17. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

The way I see it there are four reboots in the Pink Floyd discography: A Collection of Great Dance Songs, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Amused to Death and The Endless River.

18. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

This week ending on the 31st, or the following week, ending Sept. 7?

Can't wait.

19. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Amused to Death?? Seriously?

St. Troy and Lands End Drums like this.
  20. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Quite amusing.

St. Troy and floydfan2410 like this.
  21. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The head of Rogers label at the time said something like "If this was called Pink Floyd, it would easily sell 10 million." It sold about 500,000 at time of original release.

Chains likes this.
  22. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

With all due respect and aside from Radio KAOS, Roger Waters has circled in his theatrical drama concept album since The Final Cut which is not to everyone’s taste. I cannot see how Amused to death would have sold 10M copies.

The good thing is that his live dates contain more PF songs than his own solo stuff. Best of both worlds I guess...

23. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Wait, you guys are questioning Amused to Death as a reboot and not the absolutely mediocre A Collection of Great Dance Songs?? It's a "best of" that has only six songs and the only thing of that's of any importance on it is Gilmour's re-recording of Money. How is this a reboot for Pink Floyd? I'm genuinely confused. :confused:

24. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

How is Amused to Death a reboot for Pink Floyd or Roger ? When it came out it did not sell well, and he did nothing for nearly 20 years after.

Lost In The Flood and fluxkit like this.
  25. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Not quite - he skulked away for 7 years in retirement, only breaking cover to auction off film cells from The Wall, before touring a relentlessly enjoyable but predictable "Look How Great I Used To Be!" tour in various forms between 1999 and 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.