Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I wouldn't be interested in another expensive, all encompassing mega-set like this. We've already gotten sets for DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall (though it was missing some things, and Division Bell, so I doubt that there's this wealth of additional material to draw from like there was on the Early Years. Just give me a nice Animals set with 5.1, outtakes and live performances and I'll be happy.

joshm2286, elee532, Oliver and 9 others like this.
  2. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

From the Nick Sedgwick In The Pink (Not A Hunting Memoir) book that had a limited release as part of the Mortal Remains Exhibit:

[​IMG]

A fan had a go at deciphering:

Re Perrier, an unpublished snippet!

"I was selling my soul in the desert,
    How do you feel?
    Taking my pieces of silver
    How do you feel?
    Do you feel good, do you feel grown?
    Do you think you could make it alone?
    How, how, do you feel?"

It goes on, something about
    Acts of collusion.

"We advertise acts of collusion."
    "Shatter the childhood illusion.
    Do you feel rich, do you feel??????."
    At home?...

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Not many fans are aware about the Toronto 1987 rehearsals

They were filmed and included 'Echoes'. It would great to have in good quality at last

enro99, Shak Cohen, LarsO and 3 others like this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yeah, think I read somewhere it was roughly edited together around 1999/2000 when they planned to bring out the Wall live album.
    The CDs came out but the film project was scrapped however. Would love to see the live footage. It MUST get a release!

joshm2286, Billy_Sunday and ponkine like this.
  5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The mini concert at Knebworth 1990 was excellent

One of the greatest renditions of 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' as a 3 piece band

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have the Wet Dream album on vinyl, and I think it works very well as a companion piece to Gilmour's s/t solo album. Never heard Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports, but just missed out on getting the CD from a street vendor a couple years back.

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

In case you're wondering, THERE'S SO MUCH MATERIAL than what we were offered on 'Immersion' sets

Here's just an example, from 'Wish You Were Here' sessions
    Just listen to the full 25 min 'Shine on'.

They Call Me M and Hattipper like this.
  8. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

This [​IMG] album on vinyl is excellent if you can find a copy at a good price ?
    I got mine for under a tenner in a sale in Holland years ago.

9. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Then after the death of Steve O'Rourke it was revealed he had been sitting on a bunch of film reels from these shows. The story goes they had filmed a couple of songs using film (the footage you mentioned was poorly shot video) and what Roger didn't know was they decided to continue filming the whole show. Steve had kept these reels to spite Roger after the divorce. They were handed back to Roger and he had them edited to show his new band in preparation for his Wall tour. This is the footage that can be seen on The Wall Immersion set (The Happiest Days of Our Lives). Looks a lot better than anything we have seen before.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

So the whole show(s) were filmed, but Roger(?) still says there's not much footage existing. Strange.

joshm2286 and jonnyslb like this.
  11. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

He doesn't say that anymore, this all changed when he received the film reels from Steve's estate. I recall him saying he would release it in the not too distant future...7 years ago! :)

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Think there was an interview of him I remember only blurry.^^ But yes, in that case there still is hope!
    Would be cool to have a 2 hours concert footage combined with an extended (unedited) studio version of The Wall exclusively in a reworked Immersion box set maybe...

joshm2286, elee532 and jonnyslb like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

So if The Early Years was aimed at the older fans, they will no doubt have a "Later Years" box to aim at the younger fans.

At any rate, they could collect all the immersion box extras along with whatever else is sitting around.

jonnyslb likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I could imagine a compiled box set with all later material included, but not under the name The Later Years, sounds 'cheap' to me.
    Either it could get a totally different title or the works post-1975 will get individual releases, like the Immersion sets...

15. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Why not add side by side his Pros and Cons demo with the Wall demos (for historical purposes)

EVOLVIST, They Call Me M and Runicen like this.
  16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The backing track became "Terminal Frost", if I remember correctly.

Sytze likes this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:drool:

footlooseman and ohnothimagen like this.
  18. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Quite possible they just used old photos in the can for the advert. Besides, it's not like the Floyd had a "style evolution" through which you can date photos. Pretty much long greasy hair, jeans, and t-shirts from 70-73. By Animals, you had Dave's beard and the pig t-shirt as markers.

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Life would be definitely better with something like that.

andrewskyDE and ohnothimagen like this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Life would be definitely better with something like that.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I think Fictitious Sports is great, bit I fully understand Floyd fans hating the album. It's something else. Really a Carla Bley album. It has her songs in a jazzy vein with clever, humorous lyrics. Mason drums and co-produces, that's it. His name is on the cover to attract more buyers. Profiles from '85 is more Floyd-like and has Gilmour singing on one track.

Jeffreylee likes this.
  22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I think Fictitious Sports is great, bit I fully understand Floyd fans hating the album. It's something else. Really a Carla Bley album. It has her songs in a jazzy vein with clever, humorous lyrics. Mason drums and co-produces, that's it. His name is on the cover to attract more buyers. Profiles from '85 is more Floyd-like and has Gilmour singing on one track.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

footlooseman likes this.
  24. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

In case these haven't mentioned yet, some things in the audio department

- 'Money' 1981 re-recording
    - 'Brain Damage' & 'Eclipse' alt mixes from "Works"
    - 'Animals' demos. If exist, the long-time rumored quad mix. The 'Pigs on The Wing' complete with White solo. A full multitracked concert from 'In The Flesh' tour on 2 CD and hi-rez
    - 'The Wall' film soundtrack on 2 CDs.
    - 'Young Lust' and 'Another Brick In The Wall', 'Run Like Hell' single versions
    - 'When the Tigers Broke Free', 'Now Not John', 'The Hero's Return' single versions
    - 'On The Turning Away' and 'Run Like Hell' (live 'On The Turning Away' single)
    - 'Dogs Of War' (live 'One Slip' single)
    - 'Comfortably Numb' and 'Run Like Hell' (live versions on Knebworth '90 album)
    - 'Take it Back' (French promo)
    - 'Soundscape' from PULSE cassette

:wave:

joshm2286, BeatlesBop, Carlox and 8 others like this.
  25. Stuevts

Stuevts Not drinking the kool-aid

I would also add Dave's solo material and "Gun for hire" tracks.
    This is a stand out.

Billy_Sunday and Jeffreylee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.