Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

In regards to the studio releases only The Endless River was widely available in surround.

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I dont see why you'd assume that. There is a lot less work (research, finding material, securing rights) involved in this one but nothing gets worked on or included w/o being approved.

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Damn, I've gone from excited to disinterested in the space of what, ten posts? I only watch the video stuff once, and it's mostly video, then it's a bust.

4. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Has DSoT or PULSE ever received a remastering on CD since their original release?

The Wall Immersion had a remastered Is There Anybody Out There?; the remaster was an improvement over the original release but also didn’t include the excellent liner notes that the original release had. Not sure how many people bought The Wall Immersion who didn’t already own a copy of ITAOT? Though.

TEY box set had a remixed OBC, although in that particular case I prefer the original mix and the 2011 Why Pink Floyd? Mastering.

Time will tell with regards Momentary and TDB studio albums on CD. Is there any real improvement available over the 2011 remasters vs merely a different mastering?

Interesting to read the opinions of those with no interest in the 5.1 material vs those with 5.1 setups. The hidden Meddle 5.1 along with all the vintage quad stuff on TEY made that box essential in my book, but here was also a lot more 2 channel CD audio in that set relative to the video/quad/5.1 material for those withough capability/interest. This time around, without all the BBC sessions, TV appearances and other promotional work, we’re much more focused around scrubbed up presentations of previously issued material. If one isn’t particularly caring for or cannot make use of the 5.1 material, the fact it is a lossless multichannel mix of something that was previously only available at best in 2 channel LPCM on Laserdisc is neither here nor there.

rontoon likes this.
  5. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Good news for me, saves me $$$

TheKevster and Luisboa like this.
  6. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I’m in. Those uncovered night shifts at work have a volunteer.

coffeetime likes this.
  7. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

I mean, I guess the 5.1 mixes of the studio albums is cool. But I was hoping for more unreleased audio.

I'm excited for the video content, though.

coffeetime likes this.
  8. It's surprising how naive so many people seem to be about this aspect.

Hush and rontoon like this.
  9. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

Why do they need securing rights for their own previousley released stuff...

Sorry i'm a litte disapointed, that there is so little new material...

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

How can you hope for more when you don't even know the unreleased audio that's being included yet?
    Word of advice, don't trust anyone's math.

11. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

I'm just going by what you said here:

If the majority of the discs outside of the video is stuff that's already been released, then that doesn't leave much for unreleased stuff.

But then again, 1 single disc can hold a lot of audio, and if there's just that, outside of the already released stuff, I'm cool with that.

rontoon likes this.
  12. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I always understood that Mason was the driving force in TEY project. He is on tour for the past year. But of course they need to approve.

13. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

That is almost exact opposite of the TEY concept. I think the potential could have been there if they really went for it.

NunoBento likes this.
  14. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Why naive? It's so obvious that the owner signs off. What I meant was that Mason did quite a lot of research himself.

coffeetime likes this.
  15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

if all the studio and livealbums are being included, that just makes it better for me!

coffeetime and rontoon like this.
  16. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Early Floyd was more experimental which resulted in interesting live versions and left overs. Sure there will be non-used studio takes but they might be not that interesting.

Lands End Drums and Luisboa like this.
  17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No, not really from what I know. Not to minimize his involvement. There were and are folks still specifically hired for that.

Look, The Later Years is a lot less complex than The Early Years for obvious reasons. It's not difficult to make a list of all the audio and video releases from this era. In fact it's already bee done up thread. There shouldn't be any major surprises or revalations with this one but I'm sure there will be the usual complaints about what isn't included.

We'll all know soon enough.

18. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I'm more into audio than video, and what would be frustrating, to me at least, is when there would be scant few unreleased tracks/versions (not available outside of that box I would guess) and I would have to buy a big expensive thing full of music I already have.
    But nothing's been announced, so I guess time will tell.

zinan, andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  19. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Not so much difference with the immersion boxes isn't it?

coffeetime and Sytze like this.
  20. Not to many forum members it is not. And there is a lot of work that goes into all of this stuff, not just the shareholders signing off on it. I was replying to Ron's observation, anyway.

rontoon likes this.
  21. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I wrote a wishlist earlier in the thread. I guess that is not what we will be getting but I think they could have done something like this:

My audio wishlist:
    A Momentary Lapse Of Reason:
    -demos and outtakes
    -early mixes (before LA sessions)

Delicate Sound Of Thunder:
    -the missing songs (Signs Of Life, A New Machine, Terminal Frost, On The Run, Great Gig, Welcome To The Machine, One Slip)

La Carrera Panamericana:
    -clean mix of the Olympic sessions

The Division Bell:
    -1993 demos (Big Spliff can be fine but I am actually more interested in the album demos)

Pulse:
    -proper mixes of the songs from the tour not on the album
    -alternate versions of some songs (Oslo 29/8/94 is personal wish)

Luisboa and SteveFff like this.
  22. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

True, especially for radio and TV recordings this can be complex.

23. Yes.

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Indeed. That's why I do have the Immersions of DSOTM and The Wall, but not WYWH. For that one, the Experience Edition did the trick.

Luisboa and Azza200 like this.
  25. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

As long as I get the Delicate Sound of Thunder film in HD, that's all I truly care about. The next most desirable item for me would be The Division Bell on bluray, in 5.1.... I refused to buy the 20th Anniversary box just for that bluray. Anything else will just be a bonus.... Anxiously awaiting contents and release date. I am going to start selling my plasma this week to afford this box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.