Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Lets face it were never gonna get everything and if you really want that stuff im sure its bootlegged im not too fussed all i want is MLOR 5.1 DSOT HD PULSE HD prefurably uncut and possibly Venice audio, video would be a bonus either way i think this will be awesome anything "new" from Floyd is welcomed

rontoon likes this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Well it's not very good imo, at least not from what I've heard via the TFOS boot set. Only my opinion of course.

3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Wow. The plot thickens.

While I'm going to cop to my curiosity being piqued, the Floyd aren't alone in having been involved in projects that they later disowned for quality control reasons and no musician is exempt from projects with people they regret having associated with, so regardless of the reason, it's likely somewhere in that spectrum and fair enough if DG doesn't want to put weight behind it either way. The footwear is there for those who absolutely must have it in whatever form.

BeatleJWOL, RangerXT, zinan and 3 others like this.
  4. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

What is AFAIK?

5. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

Well, even without knowing the reasons for the Panamericana track's likely omission, it's a bit of a shame that from the 'later years' period we have the Endless River bonus tracks and Barn Jams but only a laserdisc rip of the Panamericana instrumentals. They weren't groundbreaking or album-worthy tracks, but they're still PF tracks.

pinkpurpl likes this.
  6. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I agree with your words and DG is, off course, the one who decides where and when his music is available. But if the intention is to put behind or let people forget those tracks I think he does more wrong than good, since fans will still continue to pursue those has wanted tracks the more rarer they get (no matter the quality). When the music turns easy available we can then trash it if its no good and forget it. Its crazy, I know, but I sense this is the feeling of many fans (not only Floyd), me included.

mc9, Runicen and tommyball like this.
  7. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

As far as I know

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The choice is up to the artist, not the fans, and it's for personal reasons. Most people never even heard of LCP and you can still find original copies of the VHS and laserdisc for a reasonable price on eBay.

Simon A, RangerXT, Kim Olesen and 2 others like this.
  9. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

With "Carrera" out, let's hope at least some of "Fractals", "Ruby Takes A Trip" and "The Art Of Tripping" make their way in.

rontoon likes this.
  10. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

As fas as i know

11. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Probably my s***y english make it all wrong, sorry, but i said that first place. Is DG decision, not ours, off course.
    What I mean to say is that the fans maybe keep giving to much atention to La Carrera just because is hardly availabe, otherwise they would probably trash those tracks down.

BeSteVenn, rontoon and tommyball like this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

None of the above. Closer to being DG tracks than Floyd.

Simon A, Rekkerds, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
  13. ZEP77

ZEP77 Houston/Pontiac '77 Video. Where are you?

As Far As I Know

14. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Used to have La Carrera on VHS. Don’t remember much about it, so I can probably live without its inclusion. More intrigued by why DG objects to it now! Will have to find a way of watching it now.

Luisboa and rontoon like this.
  15. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

For me the sense of box sets are unreleased tracks..demos, alternates, outtakes, live (audio/video).

Still hoping there's enough in the box :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    RangerXT, zinan, Azza200 and 3 others like this.
  16. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Considering the supposedly huge amount of re-released stuff in this box, one can only hope that besides a more complete DSOT, possible remixes of AMLOR, TDB, ER, they at least include TBS, ROFL, AFAIK (alt. version), PBWY, OMG and TL;DR. Otherwise, fans are gonna be disappointed :(

17. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Ya I do hope the AMLOR "modern remake" of sorts is in there, aside from the 5.1 mix.

Azza200 and rontoon like this.
  18. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

Could you please tell us what the initials after TBS (= The Big Spliff) stand for?
    Thanks!

19. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

They were being sarcastic.

brfloydfan likes this.
  20. TheLazenby

But seriously.... nearly ALL of "The Big Spliff" has gone unheard. We need to get that album in its entirety.

21. TheLazenby

I think "Peace Be With You" (the backing track at least) became "Terminal Frost."

RangerXT, Sytze and tommyball like this.
  22. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I've never heard that before. Where did that information come from?

When Canadian songwriter Carole Pope was brought in to help out on A Momentary Lapse of Reason in early 1987, she didn't feel that the project was coming together very well — "they did have one song, though, which I thought was quite nice, though it never surfaced on Lapse of Reason. It was a mid-tempo thing about Roger Waters, called Peace Be With You. Seems strange that they didn't use it." [Penthouse Sep 88]

Simon A, mastaflatch and rontoon like this.
  23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Whilst skipping around my YouTube feed over a coffee, Floyd’s video for Marooned bubbled up.

Two things have struck me.

I have the video on TDB 5.1 DVD, but having recently watched HBO/Sky’s Chernobyl mini-seri/Es, the Pripyat footage is freshly haunting.

Secondly, it has struck me anew that David’s guitar is as expressive as he himself is reserved in conversation. Was this video in HD & lossless 5.1 on the BluRay of the 20th Anniversary TDB box? If so, I’m even more stoked than I was 5 mins ago over this forthcoming boxset. Absolutely full of anticipation!

24. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Best wishes - get well soon.

rontoon likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I hope the outer packaging of the box set will be more colorful than the Early Years one.

rontoon and xXFloydianXx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.