Pink Floyd The Wall on LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chooke, May 21, 2017.

1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

If Discogs is to be believed (and in this case I see no reason not to), Jean-Claude Pellé, responsible for the famed pink Animals, cut a pressing of The Wall for Pathé-Marconi in France, along the TML cut.

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Lol, no problem but I don't even remember very well we were talking about. I'll try to read the old posts later but I think I might have put my AU version in storage and it would be just about impossible to find it to check the numbers.

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

That's the one I prefer as well.

4. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I can remember I once made a single disc CD-R of the strongest 11 songs or so.

Antmanbee likes this.
  5. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Brought this one home today for $25 - Pink Floyd - The Wall

Also from Discogs -

Pressing variation: Pitman, NJ. Following the dead wax groove inward, the stamped 'P' appears first in the runouts, though faintly.

Seems this is the same as the US promo according to discogs. It does like the legends say, sound amazing. Did a brief comparison with my first UK and Grundman reissue. I thought it sounded the best of the three. The least futzed with, the most detail and air as well as the most thwack from the drums. You could practically hear the hiss and air in the vocals of Goodbye Blue Sky. It also played with the least amount of noise. The Grundman is noisier than it should be. It just immediately had that something special.

latheofheaven, hi_watt and pexie like this.
  6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Wow.........finding an early US TML stamped pressing without surface noise is pretty rare. Congrats :thumbsup:

7. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Thanks. Especially in Canada it is, was surprised about the price. I won't say it doesn't have any surface noise, but it is quite acceptable. Comfortably Numb has a decent scratch, but I'm not going to let that get in the way. It's really something when you hear a pressing that just has it.

c-eling likes this.
  8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Nice score

9. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I've just heard the 2016 reissue through my headphones and can't remember the album sounding this good. I suppose I may have had the TML pressing when I bought my first copy in early 1980 but my equipment wasn't the same then, and I wasn't paying as much attention to the sound quality then anyway; now I'll be checking the bins for one.

10. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Funny, I had a TML in my collection. It's only VG but sounds great. I think I prefer it (except for the surface noise, of course) over the 2016 edition.

Side 1: TML-M
    Side 2: TML-X
    Side 3: TML-M
    Side 4: TML-X

latheofheaven and Echoes Myron like this.
  11. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Yeah, it was the weirdest thing... When I bought the 1st Japanese pressing 20, 30 years ago I would have bloody SWORN that it sounded awesome and was the best pressing of the album. Well, it's been many years since I've heard it and I pulled it out today to run it through my DIY ultrasonic RCM. I went to listen and immediately I thought WTF?!! Just like you say, it seemed so bloody subdued and tame alright. I'm thinking is this the same pressing I was so impressed with...? I did add a new all tube phono section which I've been trying for the last 2 weeks or so and overall I've been impressed with it, so I know it's not that, but I just can't frigg'n believe the difference in how I remember it sounding. I was beginning to wonder if maybe I somehow ruined this particular Japanese vinyl formulation or something when I cleaned it. So, that's good to hear you thought it sounded like that too.

I put on the 1st US TML pressing, and WOW a lot more dynamic! I sure wish I knew what the HELL I was smok'n back then... :shake: I was thinking of trying the Grundman, but everyone seems to feel the 1st US TML's are the best.

jgrillo and hi_watt like this.
  12. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Totally a difference. I still have the Japanese pressing as a collectible. The obi strip is pretty nice to display. On a sidenote, I feel the same about my Japanese pressing of Animals; looks great, but the sound is not as good as my first U.K. or Swedish pressings.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    latheofheaven likes this.
  13. latheofheaven

Thanks for the quick reply Bro! :)

Yeah, that's very good to have the affirmation about the Japanese pressing. I wonder what the HELL it is about it that some hear swear by...? I would really be curious to know. I was EXTREMELY fortunate to score a really nice, clean 1st UK pressing of Animals about 10 years ago or so before the prices got silly. I was amazed at how much better it sounded than the 1st US I have.

BTW, can you believe the prices of some of these older albums these days? I've been collecting vinyl for over 40 years, but I honestly never gave consideration to getting stuff that was 'collectible' or paid any attention to the 'value' I just bought albums that I liked. But NOW... Dude, have you seen what a 1st US pressing of Nirvana Nevermind is going for now...? :yikes:

DAMN!

I've just recently started cataloging the value of my albums, starting with the more obvious ones, but I keep coming across these ones that blow me away. 1st US of The Cure Disintegration... WOW! The original US pressings of Page/Plant No Quarter and Walking into Clarksdale, HOLY SMOKES! I mean, I'm not interested in selling anything now, but I'm constantly shocked in seeing some of these prices, so I'm glad I've held on to a lot of them :)

***EDIT

BTW, since you are nearby in San Diego, have you ever gone over to Record City in Hillcrest? It is a great store and the guy who runs it, Graham, is really nice. He's bought some stuff from me in the past when a friend of mine was moving to Hawaii to help his parents and he gave me like 2000 CDs (which I had no interest in) and about 3500 albums :)

Echoes Myron and hi_watt like this.
  14. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

You're welcome, man! Oh yeah, Record City is my go to spot. I have a feeling I may have purchased some discs from that collection. I am not sure if you've been to Folk Arts Records lately, but it has been getting some really good stock. Their new arrivals section is full of surprises.
    I am glad we got our records before the boom came as the prices have gotten high!

Echoes Myron and latheofheaven like this.
  15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I've only ever owned the TML US I got for Christmas 1979. On LP, anyway. But one of these days I need to get the recent remaster to compare. Aside from general pressing quality differences, are the US & UK essentially the same? Is one better than the other? If so, I assume the UK has less pressing issues? (I really am quite ignorant on that front. )

16. latheofheaven

I'll check it out, thanks Bro! :cheers:

hi_watt likes this.
  17. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

You're welcome!

18. latheofheaven

I just looked it up, going by their site they sure look friendly! :) A ways back some of those old stores like Off The Record were getting so snobby and such, I really didn't really care to go there, but this place seems to give a much nicer vibe.

Geez, it's only down I-15 straight to university. Even I shouldn't screw that up! Shoot, take me about 30 minutes to get there. Hmmm... now that you have kindly let me know about this place, I think I'll take a day sometime and go down there and check it out and then go over to Record City. Been a few years since I've done that. ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!! :eek:

Thanks again mate!

hi_watt likes this.
  19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

They pressed about a million of these so pessing issues not really a factor. It is more about condition.

Thievius, latheofheaven and c-eling like this.
  20. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

No problem man! :righton:
    Oh yeah, Off The Record got real snobby in their final years. I stopped going because of their attitude.

21. latheofheaven

Hmmm, interesting that you noticed that too... Back 20-30 years ago when they had their old stores, one in Encinitas I think and also one we'd go to all the time, the one out 8 East by the college. They had a huge store there that we loved to go to all the time. But, when they closed all the stores and just had that small one left, towards downtown I think, there was always a bunch of really young 'Hipsters' there who gave the impression, at least to me, that they were Oh So above it all :) It's like I didn't feel comfortable asking them anything, and that's unusual for me...

And, that's before I became a somewhat cranky 'Get off my lawn!' kind of guy :D (not really... just sounds like it)

hi_watt likes this.
  22. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

The O.T.R. by College was great, as was the one in Hillcrest. Sad how it all ended.

23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

So, you know you have some albums that you bought years ago and "think" are keepers, but then you finally play them after upgrading your system and realize they weren't QUITE as good as you remember? Maybe they're noisier than your memory... maybe the mastering is only OK.... maybe you have a "club edition" [gasp] instead of the good one? We all know this letdown well, sadly.
    Well, I've had a mint copy of The Wall since about 2014 or so. U.S. pressing, no barcode, cost me all of $14.99 used. My buddy at the used counter even remarked, "Wow, that one looks brand new." But honestly, I haven't played it in years.... and today is the first time on my upgraded system, after giving all 4 sides a proper VCM cleaning for the first time. Would it be another letdown....??

NOPE!
    I must've gotten incredibly lucky back in 2014, because this copy is basically WHISPER quiet. No crackle, no surface noise, MAYBE 2 tics per side. And the sonics? Good Lord.... The sonics are incredible, the bass is like my own heartbeat, the soundstage is three-dimensional. I'm frankly blown away. I've hunted and scrounged and overpaid and been patient (and lucky) enough to amass a really nice Floyd vinyl collection.... and yet, this copy of The Wall might be the best sounding of all of them.
    Hell, it might be the best sounding record I own, PERIOD.

Sorry to gush and gloat a little, but it's finds like these that remind me exactly why I keep dropping time (and money) into this crazy vinyl obsession. When you hear a certain record, it's beyond magical!

24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Agreed. I went through a few thrifter's over the years. Last year one still in shrink caught my eye. Think it must of been a gift as it looked unplayed. I'm done with this title :)

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I love that pink pressing of Animals. It’s actually more played on my system than the 1st UK A2/B2.
    I thought I was crazy and choosing it just because it was a beautiful piece of vinyl, so I’m glad to know I’m not alone.