Pink Floyd whats next ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floyd fan 71, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Obviously you have not thought this through thoroughly as there is no armchair, spotlight, a scissor lift for Gilmour's Comfortably Numb solo. And no 'sold separately' voice effects like crashing airplane?

supernaut, Sean, Sevoflurane and 2 others like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Hell, I'd go for Lego sets of the front and back covers of Ummagumma!

supernaut, Sean, Keith V and 3 others like this.
  3. Is there really no full 1974 or 1975 show available? I've read before that no 1977 shows were recorded, but isn't there even a soundboard cassette or something? Also, there's small bits of DSOTM live before its release on the Immersion sets, but there must be complete shows that survive?

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Would still like to see a box that picks up all the spare tracks from where The Early Years box left off.

The live embryonic Dark Side recordings.
    The household objects material.
    Any unissued songs from the period still left unreleased / unheard (Waters' "Bitter Love", etc).
    How about some soundboards from the Animals tour?
    Anything unheard from The Wall sessions, including any unheard demos or alt-takes.
    The Wall live footage that Waters is sitting on, in restored and reformatted form.
    Anything unused from The Big Spliff project, or alt-versions or demos or jams.

While a lot of this has been released via the Immersion sets, they could still make a comprehensive package/box out of it.

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I think the Wall footage from the second half of the show is where the real problems are. The screen projections didn't film well. I would think they could put together the usable live footage with the stock projection films and turn out a pretty good product.

They Call Me M and Spadeygrove like this.
  6. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

We basically already have a complete '74 show. The live material from the DSotM Immersion set, WYWH Immersion set, and the live Echoes from the Early Years set are all from a single show in '74. Since I picked all of those up, I compiled them in iTunes as a separate live album. So in terms of live shows, we basically have 1969, 1974, 1981, 1988, and 1994 as officially-released stuff.

7. Johnny Feathers

We already have several of the early live Dark Side tracks in the Immersion set, including early versions of Great Gig and On the Run.
    I don't get the impression there was much, if anything, from Household Objects other than the two tracks that were released in the Immersion sets. Even those barely qualified as listenable.
    The Wall Immersion set had 2 discs of demos, including one song that was from Waters' Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking. I can't imagine what else there would be, or how listenable any of it would be.
    I thought Endless River is likely the best we'll hear from TBS. Considering that, I'm not sure how good anything that didn't make it could be.

As I said, I just think we've heard most of what there is to hear from them. I'd not be terribly interested in seeing stuff that I paid $$$ for re-packaged in yet more deluxe sets with a few additional tracks, and some more scarves and marbles. At least the Early Years set had a wealth of unheard material, much of it at least decent quality or better.

supernaut and Billy Infinity like this.
  8. todd141

todd141 Forum Resident

Anyone really like "A Collection of Great Dance Songs?" I have the original vinyl, and the re-recorded Money always bothered me for some reason.

9. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Hopefully next year we get pulse on vinyl and probably relics then 2 years time will be The Wall 40th Anniversary where hopefully we get a 5.1 mix

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. Johnny Feathers

Never heard it, to be honest. I know Money had been re-recorded, but by the time I was getting into them, I was diving into the albums themselves, and so no need to pick this up. This and Works always seemed odd compilations to me. At least the Echoes one seemed to be done as a complete retrospective.

11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Dance Songs is okay for what it is (although you do wish for the original "Money" on there), Works is kind of interesting, you see the tracklisting and think "WTF?" but it actually works as an album, having "Embryo" on there helps as well.

12. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I'd like all of the albums from Atom Heart Mother through the Final Cut reissued on Blu-Ray, with the original stereo and quad mix (where there is one) and new stereo and 5.1 mixes, all in 96/24 or higher resolution. And with bonus video content. And for the Wall, the new stereo and 5.1 mixes would contain the entire unedited album.

13. Johnny Feathers

Yeah, I ended up downloading just Embryo from Works on iTunes way back, when I saw I could buy the single track. Now the Early Years set made that moot. Though, why they didn't bother to include the original Biding My Time on the Early Years set just seemed stupid. That was another single track I bought from iTunes (from Relics), and just tucked it into the Early Years set.

coffeetime likes this.
  14. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I love how Echoes all blends in very well done still hope for a vinyl reissue

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, okay. Rare in the way that not everyone does have a VHS player these days.^^

daveidmarx and parman like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh! Pink Floyd Anthology!!

I have the Special Edition of it. Love it! Some emotional scenes between the concert footage.

LarsO and coffeetime like this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

If I'm not wrong the material on the DVD set contains different camera angles and edits.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Billy Infinity likes this.
  18. Johnny Feathers

That's correct. I'm not sure I could identify them now, but I could when I first bought it. That VHS was well-worn by the time the DVD was released.

Billy Infinity and andrewskyDE like this.
  19. Johnny Feathers

That's the one compilation I still consider springing for, just for the fact that it was designed as the ultimate retrospective, and is meant to sound like its own "concept album". Even just the track order is obviously intentional, and has something of a narrative to it.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You have won $10 beauty prize. Advance to Arnold 'Lane'. :)

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

How many versions of Pompeii exist actually? Is the cinema version the one with some footage from the Dark Side sessions minus the 'Oyster' scenes?

By the way, are the Immersion sets out of print actually? Maybe a new packaging with additional content could make sense then.

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

That I don't know. I'm sure somewhere here does, though.

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The gig at Empire Pool (Wembley) was captured during the British Winter Tour 1974. This surely needs a an individual release.
    I made a combined edit of the show since the content is available on the Immersion sets and Continu/ation. Would look great as a triple vinyl package.

Wish there's something taped in 1975, guess there are no big infos about that.
    During the WYWH Tour the band's setlists was the full Dark Side and (interestingly) only a half of Wish You Were Here. And 'Echoes' as the encore, obviously similar like the 1974 concerts.

In the 1977 tour cassettes were used, reportedly some (or most of the) Animals shows were recorded via soundboard.
    But only one tape was released (unofficially), first half of the Deutschlandhalle Berlin concert. Some people say it's not even soundboard but a rough monitor mix. The instruments and vocals are very separated between the two channels.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  24. Johnny Feathers

I think it's three. The oyster scenes were added to the original footage, I think to capitalize on the success of Dark Side of the Moon. Then the "Director's Cut" with the bad CG.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

And some very emotional stuff on the making of documentary as well, which is excellent.

I am a huge Floyd fan, but I am pretty much done now. Surround versions of Animals and The Wall are the only things that would tickle my interest at this stage. Possibly an official video or audio release of the In the Flesh tour would be nice as well. Was never a big fan of the band without Waters so I will be giving the latest vinyl releases a miss.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.